Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are my best odds on possibly receiving a date on this nickel or just getting it a little cleaner? I'm not too worried about ruining it I'm just intrigued with this nickel since it's thin as a dime. Any advice would be helpful
7fb2765893e763bb55f44cbebcb41e88.jpg
a7141bea43cbef30609558e7a690fa5f.jpg
70d43da6ab536c503914df8e93d0a0f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are able to get some of the crud off first, Nic-A-Date may be able to help you get a date from it. You should be able to find it at your local coin shop. If not, Amazon has it for about $12 a bottle.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are able to get some of the crud off first, Nic-A-Date may be able to help you get a date from it. You should be able to find it at your local coin shop. If not, Amazon has it for about $12 a bottle.

Thanks never heard of that.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a Jefferson nickel. It won't be any older than 1938 and will not likely be worth more than five cents even if a better date. Unless you're just curious, I wouldn't bother with trying to clean it. That being said, Aluminum Jelly followed by Nic-A-Date is the best method I've found for cleaning dug nickels.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 'value' in that nickle is in it's present condition. The patina is priceless. It's value would be enhanced if you documented it's found location, add other items from the same location, mount them on a display board with a narration of the site and items found. If you want to talk about $$$ I have done such for years. Some are hanging in state and county historical society facilities, others by private citizens. I've been doing this for over 30 years, I don't sell them cheap.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Foiler I'm very impressed I must say. Lol If you can do me a favor I'd really appreciate it and send me a picture of one of your displays. I'd love to see in example I have found a lot of old coins in this particular park.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprisingly, soaking in Worcestershire sauce does a good job of cleaning up nickels.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread