Ricoble

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2016
New castle, pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently using a Garrett Ace 400 and I'm not having any problems with it yet. I live in western Pa and I'm usually digging corn fields, cellar holes, small creeks in the area, etc. My question is, I'm getting the urge to buy a new machine. I've got my eye on the Garrett AT Pro and I'd like someone with experience on both detectors to give their input. Is the AT Pro that much better than the Ace 400? Is the "ground balancing" feature useful? Any opinion either pro/con for each detector will be greatly appreciated...I need to decide if it's worth convincing my wife that I "need a new toy"..as she always says..lol. I'm fairly new to the sport and I'm trying to learn from the more experienced diggers.
Thanks guys/gals!:headbang:

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a few threads comparing those puppies - here are just two...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have either of those detectors but wanted to point out that both use a double D coil so I would believe they have comparable depth capabilities. We all have questioned at some time the depth capability of our machines. The AT Pro is waterproof to 10' so you could use it on beaches too. The other features to look at is the ability to separate trash and coins in close proximity to each other.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are specifically looking for a water machine, with an ace 400 already in your lineup, I'd look towards another detector that offers a bit of a greater difference in capabilities. Maybe something like a used explorer II or SE which can be had for the cost of an at pro.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 400 and the AT Pro are similar, but the Pro is definitely better.
I agree with CoilToTheSoil. Upgrading to something better, but also different can be fun.

Depending on how trashy your sites are, the Makro Racer 2 with the tiny 4.5" OOR coil is fun, has lightning fast target seperation, and has great audio.
You could also look to an FBS machine to sniff out deep coins in your corn fields.

Really depends on what you'll mostly target, and what you want to spend.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is so much better. I have both and feel that the 400 is just a youth detector with an adult coil and fixed ground balance. The capabilities of the Pro are so much more.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the AT-Pro is superior, The ACE 400 is a good detector
I find that the VDI # are a lot different on both Detectors.
I just like the AT- Pro for my freshwater detecting ponds and stream beds.
Some people feel that the Racer 2 goes deeper but does have a little chatter
Happy treasure Hunting
dennis

Illinirelics

Greenie
Sep 12, 2016
West central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites classic II garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro has a very similar feel in standard mode to the 400. Now that i have the pro I never use it in standard because it's night and day as far as being able to use audio to hunt. I have several hundred hours with the pro and can tell you get something with good audio and it changes everything. The dings on the 400 don't give you much info other than to tell you to check the display. Good headphones and good audio are key imo! HH

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro, you get better headphones, and better audio (Pro Mode). sell the 400, and find yourself a good condition used AT Pro, you will be pleased. Then next year after you had some hours on the Pro, pick up a NEL Thunder coil and you will have a machine that can match a CTX3030 in depth..

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the ATP is a great machine. It's what my best friend uses. Depending on the personality of the OP though, he may want to add something different instead of rebuying the same line. I know I would. I currently use the Racer 2, and if I was adding another mid-level machine, it would be something like a used Minelab Explorer. A machine that has a different set of strengths altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have stated, if you're looking for a water machine (fresh water) go with the Pro..

That being said... odds are you're not going to find any more with the Pro on land than you would with the 400. I found equal amounts of interesting finds with my Ace 250 as I did with my AT Pro and the Ace 400 is much closer to the pro than the 250 is.

I would just stick with what you've got. Also, when swinging my AT Pro I found myself longing for the simplicity of my 250. The AT Pro give you more AUDIO information, but you end up digging everything anyway so what's the advantage?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both but only use the AT in the water, where it excels.
I think there is no doubt the AT is a superior all around machine but I'd look to the used market maybe and take it up another notch like a used F75SE [like mine !], that would be a serious improvement in depth and features at about the cost of an AT.
But yeah, if you foresee water in your future then consider the AT ,,, I personally would not sell the 400 either, never hurts to have 2 [or 3] machines.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post Skip.
I like them both, they are simply tools to use as we see fit, and one man may use it in a way another has never thought and have success where others might have failures. I like the Ace series if for no other reason that I am comfortable leaving in my truck all summer long so its there whenever I feel like detecting on w whim, not sure I'd do that with a $500+ detector.
Then if I fine a spot I cultivated with the Ace that has potential, I cam come back and comb it with a more advanced unit [Deus in my case].

I would only point out the fact that if you routinely skip on foil , you will be passing gold as well no matter what detector you use.
May be true that 99 times out of 100 it will indeed be foil, but I can't count the times that I was a heartbeat away from passing on a folit signal, something told me to investigate and it was gold. Good discrimination can be a double edged sword.
Now, if you [your son] is primarily a coin shooter, the tradeoff may be worth it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro, you get better headphones, and better audio (Pro Mode). sell the 400, and find yourself a good condition used AT Pro, you will be pleased. Then next year after you had some hours on the Pro, pick up a NEL Thunder coil and you will have a machine that can match a CTX3030 in depth..

I have a Hunter coil and haven't seen much difference personally to the stock. Would the Thunder be better than the Hunter for depth?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post Skip.
I like them both, they are simply tools to use as we see fit, and one man may use it in a way another has never thought and have success where others might have failures. I like the Ace series if for no other reason that I am comfortable leaving in my truck all summer long so its there whenever I feel like detecting on w whim, not sure I'd do that with a $500+ detector.
Then if I fine a spot I cultivated with the Ace that has potential, I cam come back and comb it with a more advanced unit [Deus in my case].

I would only point out the fact that if you routinely skip on foil , you will be passing gold as well no matter what detector you use.
May be true that 99 times out of 100 it will indeed be foil, but I can't count the times that I was a heartbeat away from passing on a folit signal, something told me to investigate and it was gold. Good discrimination can be a double edged sword.
Now, if you [your son] is primarily a coin shooter, the tradeoff may be worth it.

Give me a range of foil targets you dig?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you actually able to run full sensitivity? I've found that in areas that are mineralized or have interference, you only get a certain amount of "depth" regardless of whether or not you have a large or small coil. For example, in some of the parks I hunt, I can get 7"... and that's the max, doesn't matter the coil...

If you're able to fully max out that Hunter coil, you should get a full 1" or more on a quarter, more, over the stock AT Pro.

We have no mineralize soil to really worry about. And the parts of course there is more trash than usual. My mentality at the moment is I have found some V Nichols from the late 1800s and I have hammered the area with no avail. And I know that can't be just two v nickels. So of course my want to go deeper grows deeper.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you actually able to run full sensitivity? I've found that in areas that are mineralized or have interference, you only get a certain amount of "depth" regardless of whether or not you have a large or small coil. For example, in some of the parks I hunt, I can get 7"... and that's the max, doesn't matter the coil...

If you're able to fully max out that Hunter coil, you should get a full 1" or more on a quarter, more, over the stock AT Pro.

I run full sensitivity no problem

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give me a range of foil targets you dig?

Not possible to accurately answer that, foil "range" will have variations between machines, coils, frequency, size/type of foil.
All I am saying is what you think is foil probably is, but may be not. I found a mangled gold ring that rang up in the 38 VDI range on my Ace 400 a few weeks ago, sub 40 is most always foil and I came real close to passing on the target.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not possible to accurately answer that, foil "range" will have variations between machines, coils, frequency, size/type of foil.
All I am saying is what you think is foil probably is, but may be not. I found a mangled gold ring that rang up in the 38 VDI range on my Ace 400 a few weeks ago, sub 40 is most always foil and I came real close to passing on the target.

Have you ever found a good 55-57 or anything in the 70-77?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever found a good 55-57 or anything in the 70-77?

Truth be told, I am not a big VDI guy - Especially in the water where I use the AT. Plus as I alluded to before, your VDI may not be my VDI unless our detecting setups are identical. It is a potentially helpful, variable visual guide that should be used with caution. No matter what machine you use, if you consistently dig only certain ranges deeming all other ranges trash, it is not a matter of if but rather when you will pass on something valuable.

That is why I don't accept as valid guys who say "I never dig any bottle caps or foil, I can easily tell the difference !" - Fact is, if you don't dig them then you have no idea if you passed on a pulltab or gold band.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread