A Time In a Persons Life When He Gets His First Metal Detector

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all!

I'm new to the forums, and overall new to treasure hunting as well. However treasure hunting seems like a great hobby (dare I say sport?) to get in to. I live in Florida, and ever since I was in my early teens I've heard of the unclaimed riches buried within the sands of this land by various pirates, Spaniards, and even Indians. Even if I don't find anything, its just dang nice to be outdoors.

So with that, I would like to start the search. I figured a good metal detector would be a good place to start. The problem is I have no idea what to get! I'm sure as with anything there are good brands and bad brands of metal detectors. Honestly, I'm on a tight budget. I'm looking for something that has quality, but it won't break the bank. If possible, waterproof would be nice (I am in Florida after all!)
I can always upgrade in the future. If I really get in to treasure hunting I'll probably travel around with it to see what I can find around the country also.
Can I get something like this for under 150-200?
Whats the best thing I can get for around that price range or lower?
I heard a lot of people use those PI metal detectors down near the Florida coast looking for treasure. If there are any within my price range (or close to it), I would love to get one of those.

Let me know,
Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get something for the dry sand in your price range, It takes quite a bit more for waterproof or to hunt the wet sands and in the salt water. Go to one of the vendors sites on the right hand side of the home page. I use Kellyco to review detectors for price range and main use/type of detecting.

If your serious about this hobby and the bug bites you'll quickly outgrow anything in your current price range.

I am a coin shooter in Ohio, I started with a detector in your price range. 60 days later I upgraded to a mid level detector, and again 4.5 months later I found a great deal on a high end detector.

Good Luck with what ever detector you finally choose.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also relatively new to the hobby and a coin shooter as well. I began with a Tesoro Compadre at $160 from Kellyco. You may also find that a pointer and reliable digging tool should be part of your accessories. That may push your budget up to around $300. In my case, from August 1 til the ground froze in PA, I dug enough in coins to pay for all my equipment and still have enough left over to buy Silver Eagles for 5 grand children as Christmas gifts. If you are serious about getting out and swinging that detector, don't be overly concerned about an initial out lay of $300 to $500.......you can recover that in 4 to 6 months (or less). If, however, you are going to be a casual detectorist, your recovery time will be longer. Good luck and definitely read other threads about all the machines available to you and how they perform!!

And, welcome to TreasureNet. Avail yourself of the vast knowledge and experience of these good folks! They will be one of your best assets going forward.............

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, First for me it is definitely a Hobby, No way shape or form a sport!! But a fun hobby for sure. The history you dig is amazing, When I find something old I find myself wondering who the person was who lost it and what were they doing and so on. Fun! Then the aspect of doing your research as to where a good spot may be to go hunt can be fun in it's own right..

I would skip the complete beginner machines. Get a better machine off the get go, learn it and find good stuff. In the long run it is much cheaper and more rewarding IMO. Also not everyone is the same, So many come on here saying how one machine is hard to learn, Well for who? For them yes but for you it may be as easy as pie.. Maybe look up a local Metal detecting club and try out a machine or 2, Or do what you are doing now and research online to find the machine you want to learn. Again just me opinion and not trying to start arguments.. Have fun!!

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you finally decide on SeekerOfPast - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

OP
OP
SeekerOfPast

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I've done quite a bit of research and I've narrowed down the list to a handful in my price range.
Metal Detector Options:
ACE 250 - 212 Dollars
It IS a bit out of my price range, but it had so many good reviews.

Cobra Beach Magnet
Its advertised as an all purpose metal detector, meaning maybe it could detect in salt water? But many reviews put it as
a piece of junk. I'm not sure.

Bounty Hunter Timeranger
Again, a lot of good reviews. Sadly no wet sand capability :(

Another temping prospect was this 1st Texas Titan 9000. I heard some
stuff on the pro version, but on the standard I could find no reviews. Its the CHEAPEST one. 95 bucks.
1st Texas Titan 9000 Metal Detectors- Kellyco

The traditional Whites Coinmaster seems very tempting.
White's Coinmaster- Kellyco

And finally the last thing I found that was a possibility was the
Tesoro Compadre, which everyone says great things about. On the other hand
it seems super simple lol.

I honestly have no idea what to get. o.o
Personally my dream machine from what I've researched is the Tiger
Shark. I'm sure I'll use my metal detector plenty in dry areas, but I also really want to get in to the wet sand, and I hear that is where a lot of the treasure finds are on the treasure coast here in Florida. I'm tempted to save up for a month, and put my money down on that instead. Or perhaps see if next black friday I can get it cheaper.
Any thoughts guys?
https://www.amazon.com/Tesoro-Tiger...1479333997&sr=8-1&keywords=Tesoro+Tiger+Shark

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a few minutes and call some of the vendors on here (supporting vendors) and get prices, you will be very surprised on the prices you get talking directly to them on the phone. Pm me if you want to know who I have dealt with in the past.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to put it off a little while longer to get a better detector do just that because if you spend $ on an off brand detector and it turns out to be junk you will end up giving up the hobby.Go with companies that have been building detectors for years, some that you named I have never heard of, also see what the warranties are and if the companies back up there detectors.The range you are at probably wont get you to good of a salt water detector that is why I say save up instead.I tell everyone this same thing also don't get one thinking it will make you $ go into detecting as a fun hobby and you will enjoy yourself.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cobra beach magnet is junk, it may be okay for a year and only hunting if you are planning on hunting in fresh water.

The Tiger shark is good for salt water and about the cheapest salt water detector on the market that can find the goods IMHO

Most of the people I know use either the Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Excal II or the CTX-3030. These 3 are way out of your price range

I live in Ohio where fresh water detecting is all we have. I use an older Fisher 1280X Aquanaut. I mainly do the water hunting during the hot dry August's we have when it's way to dry to hunt permissions or parks.

I have bought most of my detectors used from craigslist. I have yet to have any issues. See if you can find a descent used detector in your area.

Good Luck

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The Cobra...no, that Titan is cheap for a reason.

The Compadre is simple but it has superpowers that many don't and finds amazing things.
There is a whole church built up about this one...we owners would never consider giving ours up.

That Coinmaster is like the original Garratt Ace series...a screen with icons only, no VDI numbers which are more than just helpful, a must have if I am going to be using a screen unit.
The Ace 200 would be a better choice, even better would be a Fisher F2 especially if you can still find a dealer that carries the F2 2 coil package for $215.
Well worth the money, I got mine for $200 and used it for over three seasons...one of the best purchase decisions I ever made in this hobby.
I had other higher end detectors at the time but this thing surprised me with how well it worked, what it found so effortlessly and how much fun it was to use...so much so it became my prime hunting tool for the next few years.
I found a ton with the bigger coil but after I switched to the sniper it rarely came off after that and I found much, much more with it than I ever did using two other larger coils.
My $200 investment got me over 10X's that amount in clad and silver and gold jewelry in the time I used it.
Never regretted that purchase.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For dry sand, just about any detector will work, up to a point. For wet salt water sand or ocean, none of the ones you mentioned will work decently and just add to your newbie frustrations. I'd save my money for a better machine. One made for salt water and is waterproof. For a new machine, that means at least $600 for the machine itself (Tesoro Sand Shark), plus you'll need a good sand scoop. If you want discrimination, and not have to dig every iron signal, you'll have to spend twice that for a new machine (CZ21, Excalibur, BHID,) You also might be able to find a used detector from one of our sponsored vendor here on Tnet.

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember the old saying " you get what you pay for " ! This certainly holds true with the quality of metal detectors with the variable price ranges. Some of the cheaper units are no better than holding a stick walking around in circles. Don't limit yourself to the adventure of finding treasures, due to poor machines. Be open to a used quality machine before buying a new piece of junk .
For dry sand, just about any detector will work, up to a point. For wet salt water sand or ocean, none of the ones you mentioned will work decently and just add to your newbie frustrations. I'd save my money for a better machine. One made for salt water and is waterproof. For a new machine, that means at least $600 for the machine itself (Tesoro Sand Shark), plus you'll need a good sand scoop. If you want discrimination, and not have to dig every iron signal, you'll have to spend twice that for a new machine (CZ21, Excalibur, BHID,) You also might be able to find a used detector from one of our sponsored vendor here on Tnet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeekerOfPast

SeekerOfPast

Greenie
Nov 9, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all of these replies guys! I think I'll probably just save my shekels for a better machine. If the wait is getting unbearable then I'll probably just throw down some money for the Fisher F2 mentioned earlier, and then later get a salt water machine. :)

Thanks again guys!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks so much for all of these replies guys! I think I'll probably just save my shekels for a better machine. If the wait is getting unbearable then I'll probably just throw down some money for the Fisher F2 mentioned earlier, and then later get a salt water machine. :)

Thanks again guys!
Which ever you get...BEST OF HUNTING DUDE!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My personal experience?

When I returned to the hobby I picked up an ACE250, and while it worked fine it was not what I wanted. So, I gave it to my cousin and moved up.

My cousin doesn't go out often, lives on the coast of Carolina, and only hunts dry sand.

So far this year he's found 6 pieces of gold jewelry. I live inland, and haven't found 6 pieces of gold jewelry :BangHead:

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that the fisher F2 is a good choice, but I've had almost all of my experience on a garret ace 250. Best decision I've ever made in purchasing a detector. Last year I found a 1903 barber half dollar at the top of our horse field. You won't go wrong with the Ace series if you choose to go that route.

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add my .02 here for what its worth. I had a metal detector issued to me in the Army but that was the extent of my experience until about a year ago. I went to a auction just to see what they had for sale not looking for anything in particular. This detector came up and it wasn't drawing much intrest because they couldn't say if it worked or not. the battery was dead and it did not have a charger. Long story short is I ended up buying a Minelab Excalibur for $125.00. I picked up a charger and once the battery was charged, it worked perfect and has been ever since. All that to say, look for used detectors, you might can get a better detector for and still stay in your price range. I will say the excalibur is not the easiest one to learn on, down right frustrating at times so I bought a AT Pro. It is an addictive hobby at least for me. LOL

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that the fisher F2 is a good choice, but I've had almost all of my experience on a garret ace 250. Best decision I've ever made in purchasing a detector. Last year I found a 1903 barber half dollar at the top of our horse field. You won't go wrong with the Ace series if you choose to go that route.
If you're going to hunt in the wet sand or water at a salt water beach, you're definitely going to have problems using an Ace 250.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought is after you decide what machine to get, Look at used detectors. You can get a "higher end or better" detector for much less than new. Look at the forum classifieds, Craig's List, eBay etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread