BOATY

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2013
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a complete newb to MD as Ive had 2 Fisher F2's in the past but didn't really use them that much. Ran across a sale ad today after work for a Whites M6 MD for $150. Going to pick it up from the guy tomorrow. Its an older gentleman that hurt his back and is no longer able to bend down and use it anymore. Anyone got any advice or thoughts or anything on me getting this at this price? Seems like a nice guy that just wanted to pass on the fun to someone who would use it.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very good machine and that is a steal of a price. I liked to run in the single tone mode and flip the toggle to use tone ID to get an idea of what the target was before ever looking at the screen. The single tone audio had a better less filtered sound IMO. It is very easy to setup, simply turn on and set knobs to presets. I did not keep mine very long but did dig dome copper shards in my yard that were amazingly deep and I had been over many times with other machines.

Last edited:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mine. It's a great machine. Deep enough to be dangerous, good recovery speed, and multitones. Also, a TON of coil options. I like to run mine in the tone mode, because 7 tones gives you quite a bit of information, and also there's a bit of "bleed-through" with the discrimination circuit that drives me nuts. Running disc wide open in tone mode negates this.

I've found it's best to use a high-quality set of headphones with a limiter function, because the volume is directly connected to the sensitivity control, and thus, you can run high volume without deafening yourself. I run mine at near maximum sensitivity in tone mode to get weak-target volume out of it. I also NEVER use discrimination. In fact, I personally feel the audio provides such a wealth of target information, I have covered my screen with a Crown Royal bag because I consider the display to be a distraction for me. Although the machine is very chatty at high sensitivity, I feel it is the best way to get depth out of the M6, and I had no problems getting used to it.

I will also state that I am not an M6 "whisperer", and I am still learning new things about the machine every time I take it out. I'm just offering things I have discovered in my ownership thus far. There are many guys on here that could offer us both great advice on how to best use this machine!

Btw: 150 bucks is great deal. :icon_thumright:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an M6 for a year and a half that I just made a cash trade for a Macro Racer 2 with a supporter on another forum. As others have already said there are many coil options for it. It is a very simple machine to use and deadly accurate in pinpoint mode. Just toggle back and slowly X your target listening to volume increase/decrease whil watching depth bar graph increase.
For that price man jump on it. The before mentioned dealer gave me $50 more in trade than what you will be paying.

Don

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes yes yes,going on 6 years I've been swinging my M-6,quite a simple very effective machine..a real sleeper by gosh.

I never have to buy my Wife jewelry either.:laughing7: 150 bucks...what a steal!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with White's! The price is a steal and if you have any problems White's will repair it at a very reasonable price. Go to the White's website and print out the Owners Manual. Congratulations, you really found treasure this time! H Digs!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Congrats. Great deal on a nice machine.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detector!! My favorite is the 6 x 10 Eclipse coil....it's a coin and ring eatin' monster! I just recently purchased the D-Tech 13" coil. Haven't used it enough to rate it against the 6 x 10....helluva buy for:thumbsup: what ya got!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread