Straight shaft is done for my AT Pro

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished my straight shaft tonight for my AT Pro. I as able to use the stock cam lock for the lower shaft as well as the lower shaft. I can't wait to take it out for it's first test run in the spring. I hunted all of last year with my larger NEL coil and could not believe how light it is with the smaller 5x8 coil on it. If I were to do it again I think I would have practiced my brazing on some scrap parts before using the good ones...but I guess what fun would that be. I would also make a jig so that I could drill the adjustment holes on the drill press to make things go a little smoother. It is a little lighter then the stock shaft but it is also just a little shorter but fits me to a T with a couple of slots to move both up or down.

Attachments

• 20170111_213357.jpg
    20170111_213357.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20170111_213513.jpg
    20170111_213513.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is awesome. I've broken the 2 undercarriage plastic pieces that hold the brain to the shaft. It the weakest spot on a ATP. After not having my detector gone for 2 weeks the first time I now have it "rednecked up" with black duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome. I've broken the 2 undercarriage plastic pieces that hold the brain to the shaft. It the weakest spot on a ATP. After not having my detector gone for 2 weeks the first time I now have it "rednecked up" with black duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look in general discussion I bumped my thread that I show a way to beef up your shaft to box connection I had same issue of the two pieces breaking.The thread is called AT Gold and Pro mod.I don't know how to link so bumped thread instead.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished my straight shaft tonight for my AT Pro. I as able to use the stock cam lock for the lower shaft as well as the lower shaft. I can't wait to take it out for it's first test run in the spring. I hunted all of last year with my larger NEL coil and could not believe how light it is with the smaller 5x8 coil on it. If I were to do it again I think I would have practiced my brazing on some scrap parts before using the good ones...but I guess what fun would that be. I would also make a jig so that I could drill the adjustment holes on the drill press to make things go a little smoother. It is a little lighter then the stock shaft but it is also just a little shorter but fits me to a T with a couple of slots to move both up or down.

Good job :wrench::wrench::wrench:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great work. IMO stick with the straight shaft with smaller coil.
The straight shaft brings the coil closer to your step. The NEL Tornado picked up my boot eyelets when walking.
Reason I used the straight shaft was to tie it to my bike. Never felt any other benefits. Everyone seems to feel different though on it.
IMAG0625.jpg
Good luck with it. Looks great.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the idea. I will add the hangers today just to be safe.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was only able to add one hanger because of the way I made that part of the shaft so I added a screw at the top just for good measure. Thanks for the idea B.O.T.B. those hangers fit like they were made by Garrett.

Attachments

• 20170114_130229.jpg
    20170114_130229.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 59

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread