makarelic

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I welcome advice on how to dial-in on a 40 acre site that has a barn dated 1857. I know this is probably the biggest challenge for most of us who pursue this hobby. I'd like to hear if there's anything I might be missing with my approach.

1. Started w/ drive way and found coins 1964- quarter - 1940 penny (1"-2" depth)

2. Around barn 1939- 1951 pennies ( 3"-5" depth)

3. Located what I think was the privy- dug early 1900's ink bottle and more modern 1940-50's dishware and glass (6"-10" depth)

4. In fields very little, one promising early crispy copper w/ hole punch maybe KG

What I find most perplexing is that I'm not hitting more targets with my White's 5900 DiPro SL, I know it's an older machine, but many still like it. I hunt on the preset modes (GEB Disc)

Also, less than 1/4 mile down the road is another farm 1810 where some nice CW items (US belt buckle, sharps cartridges and medicine bottles where dug). Could the depth of targets be out-of-reach for my machine on my location or should I tweak settings on my machine? Thanks for any recommendations!

Upvote 0

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can tweak the GB as far negative as it'll go without constant chattering, you should see max depth. If not too trashy, run a bigger coil. Go slowly.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the highest knoll on the property--good luck :icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being that you are on the east coast there have got to be old maps that show all houses and other businesses, schools, and plotted property info etc. I found one for my area in Ohio from the 1850's. I do not know how to overlay maps, but I do have 2 monitors and review newer maps vs older maps (side-by-side). You may find out that the original house was in a different area of the property and the road may have been moved. You have a great place to hunt, so hunt it all. The area you think may have been a privy was probably where they burned their trash on the ground before burn barrels were in vogue. You might want to sift that area, dig a deep hole about 2ft, deep, doesn't have to be very big and see what you find in the soil at depths beyond your detector's capability. The fields should hold some treasures, just read some of trapperart's and treblehunter's posts. As for the detector, if you are proficient with it, keep swinging it.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt farm fields exclusively ........ One thing I have learned thru the years is to never park in the same place and always try to walk at an angle to the last trip .... Also , plot your finds on a hand drawn map if you don't use gps way points.... Good luck !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread