Is the a Betty Ford for Metal Detecting?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last Friday was the last time I was metal detecting and today is Monday. On Saturday, I was reveling in the gold I found the day before and I was fine. Sunday, I thought about detecting the beach a lot, but promised the wife I'd do a bunch of house chores and kept busy all day. I had set my hopes on metal detecting the beach on Monday and everything was a go...until an old college friend called Sunday night and said she wanted to visit Monday in the middle of the day! That's when my heart started beating fast and perspiration appeared on my forehead, my thoughts swirled and a deep depression set-in. Oh crap, I'm not going detecting Monday? Man, that's just not right. And now it is Monday morning. I have no concentration and I'm irritable. I have a small headache, but that may be due to the bug that flew in my left ear on Friday and its still in there, I think. The wife is talking but I don't hear a word and have to ask her to repeat herself, over-and-over. Now she is upset too. I really want to see our old college friend but...I NEED to metal detect. I thought that if I wrote about metal detecting that that would help, it doesn't. The wife is still talking...What?
Now my withdrawal symptoms are bad, real bad. I don't even hear the wife anymore. I'm finding it hard to even write this note because of my unending stream of thoughts about the metal detecting. The cool water and sand under my feet. The steady hummm of my Excal. The sun beating on my neck as I recover one target after another. There's gold out there just waiting for me! And I'm stuck in the condo...waiting for an old friend and I can't even think straight let alone talk a coherent sentence. What day is it, again? Is it Tuesday yet? I need help. I'm going through withdrawal and I can't take it anymore...perhaps if I swing my Excal in the street or maybe I'll just hold it close, my baby...we'll swing tomorrow, I promise. TreasureNet needs a Metal Detector intervention group - a small band of Metal Detectorists in each State that can be called on short notice to offer support to people, like me, going through withdrawal. Until that happens, those of use addicted to metal detecting will suffer in silence. The wife says that Metal Detectors should come with a warning -
"Metal Detectors May be Habit Forming and Cause Addiction".

Is it Tuesday, yet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you just tell your wife and friend to come along? Tell them to bring snacks or sandwiches and you can make it a picnic in between swinging times in addition to yakking it up. The only drawback is you can't use the headphones while yakking with them.

You will get my bill for being your Mental Detector.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I copy this and include it in our club newsletter? I'll use your Tnet name as the author? Might bring a smile or two to our housebound members. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wife went metal detecting once with me and hasn't stopped talking about it since, and not in the good way. She would rather watch paint dry than be any where near me while detecting or trying it herself. Some just aren't built that way. But seeing the friend was good. Now I'm packing my car for tomorrow...its going to be a long day getting my FIX.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sure copy it and just correct the title as the "the" should be a "there". Tried to edit the title but no luck. Can't think straight...or is it strait?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To some this is a hobby to many of us it has become and obsession. I see you are addicted and may have a touch of gold fever.

As Nancy Reagan once said "just say no", so in the future when the wife tries to interfere with your planned hunt, just say "NO" (and blame it on Nancy). :tongue3:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta say that not listening to what your wife is saying is not really a symptom of N.D.D. (Nature Deficit Disorder) which is caused by a lack of being outside with a detector.

That specific anomaly is genetic.

The fact that you keep asking her to repeat herself over and over, well- that's just plain old nuts.

The other symptoms should clear up shortly after ground balancing your machine.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I gotta say that not listening to what your wife is saying is not really a symptom of N.D.D. (Nature Deficit Disorder) which is caused by a lack of being outside with a detector.

That specific anomaly is genetic.

The fact that you keep asking her to repeat herself over and over, well- that's just plain old nuts.

The other symptoms should clear up shortly after ground balancing your machine.

-Now that made me smile and, at least for a second, made me forget...about my sickness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread