Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you've been around for a few years you can appreciate the advances in metal detecting over the past few decades. Better discrimination algorithms, notch filters, multiple frequency detectors and the development of PI machines, to name a few of the advances. What does the future hold for Metal detecting? Here are a few wide ideas.
Voice Identification
There are a number of metal detectors that help identify targets, with modest accuracy, and provide a number output or different sounds based on target specifics. The next logical step is to integrate a human voice response to a target, such as "Gold", "Silver", or "Junk". A voice response could even tell you that the target could be several things: "either a small gold ring or tin foil". Or, a detector that says "dime 6 inches down". I predict voice response metal detectors in the next few yrs.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning
In the past 10 yrs or so there have been great strides in Artificial Intelligence - the ability of a machine to harness (machine) learning to improve future performance. Performance in this case would be to improve target identification with metal detectors. AI could improve target identification through strategies that primarily rely on repetition. For example, the detector could improve identification of targets by learning all the signal variations for a bottle cap, for example - when the cap is on a side or face-up or face-down or even in terms of different depths. Further, the machine could predict the identification of a bottle cap not previously exposed to. The same applies for all objects, good and bad. In fact, the AI machine learning metal detector could even develop different signatures for a target for different environments; wet sand vs dry soil, for example. Artificial intelligence could greatly improve target identification and lead to detectors with very high target recognition - no more guessing what is at the bottom of the scoop.
Use of Different Energy Spectrum
Metal detectors rely on very low alternating frequencies to the coil, generally from 3k - 100Khz, for detection and evaluation of targets. Pulse Induction (PI) detectors provide a brief pulse of energy that creates magnetic field eddy currents in near-by metal objects that can than be detected. The development of new technologies may afford a totally different way of detecting and identifying objects underground utilizing different energy spectrum such as near-infrared. Near-infrared spans the frequencies from 750nm - 950nm(i.e., 750 billion to 950 billion cycles per meter).
The advantage of using near-infrared spectrum is that it penetrates deep into seemingly solid objects including walls and human tissue. You may be familiar with adventure movies where the good guys use a machine to peer-into a house or hide-out. That is made possible by near-infrared energy. A near-infrared metal detector would be able to see through the ground and provide a visual image of the object of interest.
Metal Detectors Integrated with Other Objects
Imagine walking down the beach and metal detecting with your shoes! Such a device is currently possible given advances in wireless communication. Numerous standard metal detectors now offer wireless communication between the detector's coil/detection circuitry and wireless headphones (e.g., Minelab CTX3030). Or, as an alternative, the metal detecting shoes or shoe attachments could buzz or vibrate when a good target is detected. So, the next time you're walking down the beach, put on your metal detecting shoes and also don't forget your scoop.
A Bicycle built for metal detecting is not only feasible but actually put into use in the Daytona Beach area! Three years ago I met a Detectorist on the beach in New Smyrna, Fl who told me about a guy he met in Daytona who modified a tricycle that integrated a sweeping metal detector and showed me a picture of the modified bike. He also said that the morning he met the Detectorist/inventor that the gentleman had found 2 gold rings that morning! While riding on the beach is generally illegal, in the Daytona area even cars are legal to ride on the beach and many of the beaches in the area/east coast of Florida allow beach bicycles. Viola, a bike based metal detector.
A Robo-detector surely isn't far off. Imagine something like an iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaner but one that travels on the hard wet sand or even across a parking lot or play field and integrates a metal detector. It could even plant a flag where targets are located.
If you made it this far, thanks for listening. I think metal detecting is not only physically challenging, if done right, but intellectually stimulating if you let your mind run with it...you're slowly walking down the beach watching your robo- metal detector in front of you plant flags at good target locations while telling you in your native language what the target was just flagged via wireless headphones. One after another, you retrieve the good targets with your sand scoop. Metal detecting is Gooood.

Upvote 0

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of metal detectors that help identify targets, with modest accuracy, and provide a number output or different sounds based on target specifics. The next logical step is to integrate a human voice response to a target, such as "Gold", "Silver", or "Junk". A voice response could even tell you that the target could be several things: "either a small gold ring or tin foil". Or, a detector that says "dime 6 inches down". I predict voice response metal detectors in the next few yrs.

A clever name for that feature would be "Treasure Talk". You could put it in a detector, find out that everyone hates the feature, and then quietly remove it and move on. You could even call the detector the "GTI 2500".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There was a machine made called the "turtle", back in the early days of TID (early 1980s). Such that instead of a needle or digital readout that landed on the Quarter or nickel or tab range, instead the speaker would say "quarter" or "nickel" or "tab". That's how it was advertised anyhow. I think that would be a silly waste if you ask me . Since there's always "bounces" in the TID anyhow.

And as long as foil and alloyed gold share the same conductive ranges (on a size per size basis), then no, you're not going to get a machine that can tell the difference. At least not until an entirely different method of detection is used (that can bombard the items with radiation and wait for feedback analysis, etc...). Then you'd have to wear a lead suit, and get all sorts of govt. clearances to use, and no one can be with 100 yards of you, and it will cost $1million, be mounted on a bobcat tractor, etc... :tongue3:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know.. it's interesting to think about.

For me.. the only reason it's fun to find something cool is because it doesn't happen very often. I personally am not interested in a machine that tells exactly what is under my coil; I don't think. Robots; I'm certainly not remotely interested in.

I suppose if you are using the hobby as a revenue source; the tech would benefit you. Or, if you are a gadget person.

I've said it before... when I wake up for Christmas I prefer my gifts are wrapped.

Some people like to mow their grass; some people pay to have it mowed.

Also.. if the tech was that effective; it would ultimately destroy the hobby.

Danny..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I ask for is better target I.D. If they can make a detector that can tell the difference between a pull tab, nickel, and gold ring with 100% certainty, I'm there! Even a target shape would only help a bit, unless it really hi def. How many time have you dug an old pull tab ring and initially thought "oh boy, a ring" only to get disappointed a second later. I unless I'm blind, I would have absolutely no interest in a machine that speaks to me, well, maybe if it was a real sexy woman's voice......:laughing7:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my luck I would end up getting one with my wife's voice [emoji20]

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my take on the future. Tesoro will come out with a unit that has a video screen on the front control box panel. These first models will use the coil to emit ground penetrating radar into the soil. What bounces back will be on the screen in real time. (shapes only) We will be able to see the outline of the hit. This will result in many more coins and rings being dug and fewer pull tabs recovered. In a few years instead of a few "shapes" of coins on the screen, it will be an actual video in black and white. A few years after that it will be in color. We will see very little if any junk being dug. This will also be a boon to the hunter of indian artifacts. Cave and vaults will be almost impossible to hide although they will only be a black void on the screen, it will be impossible to miss. Another positive result of this will be that law enforcement will find it easier to locate and i.d. evidence that is hidden or lost. This will be the ultimate in target i.d.

Just few thoughts.

Steve Guardez in Southeast Missouri

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here is my take on the future. Tesoro will come out with a unit that has a video screen on the front control box panel. These first models will use the coil to emit ground penetrating radar into the soil. What bounces back will be on the screen in real time. (shapes only) We will be able to see the outline of the hit. This will result in many more coins and rings being dug and fewer pull tabs recovered. In a few years instead of a few "shapes" of coins on the screen, it will be an actual video in black and white. A few years after that it will be in color. We will see very little if any junk being dug. This will also be a boon to the hunter of indian artifacts. Cave and vaults will be almost impossible to hide although they will only be a black void on the screen, it will be impossible to miss. Another positive result of this will be that law enforcement will find it easier to locate and i.d. evidence that is hidden or lost. This will be the ultimate in target i.d.

Just few thoughts.

Steve Guardez in Southeast Missouri

Steve, the problem will be pixel size.

Because of the medium the signal must pass through (solid ground), you're never going to get a "TV -like picture" of objects. You can tell shape at best . Currently, the pixel size is, at smallest 1" square. Thus everything md'rs get signals on (coins, rings, tabs, nail, foil wads, etc...) are all .... doh 1" pixel ! No useful information whatsoever !

And even if the day comes when/if the pixel size were multiple or 100x smaller than that: It's still not going to do any good IMHO. Because the moment you add the SLIGHTEST bit of tilt to any object, and you can kiss shape-showing goodbye. And don't forget that tabs and rings have the same shape.

The reason I don't think that increasing smaller pixels sizes will help, is the "blotch" effect. For example: Consider a horseshoe. It has a very distinct shape, right ? So even with current 1" pixel size, you might *THINK* that you'd be able to discern a horseshoe shape, right ? Wrong. Instead all you get is a "messy blotch of pixels". So too do I think that if pixel sizes were shrunk multiple times over : Smaller objects like coins, rings, etc.... will still be: a messy blotch of pixels.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
I do not want a talking detector. I can hear the sounds and read the display. I do think that ALL detector manufacturers should make ALL detectors weather resistant to the point that one could drop it into the water without it being destroyed. In this day and time, there is really no reason not to. Having to put a rain cover on a detector to protect it from a little mist is ridiculous! Fisher has done this with the F44, now all others should follow suit.

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To TOM_IN_CA;
Aaah yes, but a guy can dream.8-) Wish I was out there in Cali right now. Terrible weather and cold here.

Best Regards; Guardez

p.s. find some gold to show us. :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weathers not all that great here at the moment either.....but, probably a lot better than snow country right now!

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they did have talking detectors, when I found a good target it would say "ah very nice" in borats voice. And give me insults ln will Farrell's voice when I dig a junk target. " nice one you stupid moron"

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However I picture something like a push lawnmower with a screen on it up by the handlebar and as you walk it gives you a detailed picture of what's below

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a F75... so my phone gets turned off for emi....I dont wear a watch..... How about a CLOCK on the display?
Feather weight is the future. Weight is a big factor for me....I almost bought an e trac but the weight was miserable.
+1 on the water proof...at least rain proof

WHY is detector technology so slow to develop? Most makers have fairly OLD models for sale. What is the average production run for a detector?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pace of detector development?

Slow? You bet. So why is that? Here are my top choices for why.

1. The basic physics of the task of detecting and identifying targets are tough
2. The easy stuff was done long ago
3. Any future progress Is only possible through advanced software control and digital electronics
4. Engineers who are great at that sort of thing end up in Silicon Valley or a Spy Agency - not usually in El Paso, Garland TX, or Australia.
5. Detector companies are TINY compared to consumer electronics firms.
6. Detector companies, to survive, have to sell huge numbers of detectors annually, so a lot of new model developmenr and product improvement for mass market detectors eats up a lot of engineering resources.

The result of all is that there are probably very few engineers in the world who could design a truly breakthrough detector. They are no doubt busy doing just that, but the budgetary and staffing realities mean that teams are small and the vast majoritymof new approaches don't result in a product that can sell enough units at a high enough price to make the multi-millions a new development costs worth the risk.

Having said all that, there is ample reason to believe that this year and next will be very interesting indeed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... WHY is detector technology so slow to develop? Most makers have fairly OLD models for sale. What is the average production run for a detector?

Rick K's answer was spot on. Excellent ! :

Pace of detector development?

Slow? You bet. So why is that? Here are my top choices for why.

1. The basic physics of the task of detecting and identifying targets are tough
2. The easy stuff was done long ago
3. Any future progress Is only possible through advanced software control and digital electronics
4. Engineers who are great at that sort of thing end up in Silicon Valley or a Spy Agency - not usually in El Paso, Garland TX, or Australia.
5. Detector companies are TINY compared to consumer electronics firms.
6. Detector companies, to survive, have to sell huge numbers of detectors annually, so a lot of new model developmenr and product improvement for mass market detectors eats up a lot of engineering resources.

The result of all is that there are probably very few engineers in the world who could design a truly breakthrough detector. They are no doubt busy doing just that, but the budgetary and staffing realities mean that teams are small and the vast majoritymof new approaches don't result in a product that can sell enough units at a high enough price to make the multi-millions a new development costs worth the risk.

Having said all that, there is ample reason to believe that this year and next will be very interesting indeed.

Yup. We've hit the laws of physics. Some people muse why a computer or cell-phone of the last 20 yrs. has seen SO MUCH improvements, yet detectors of the last 20 yrs. have hit a stand still. The reason is: All the computer and cell phone advancements are all a function of "faster and smaller" electronics/computerization. Yet none of that can change the laws of physics that seeing through ground entails.

I remember when I first got into this, in the mid 1970s, that all the way till the early 1990s, it seemed that if you had a machine that was a mere 3 yrs. old, you had a DINOSAUR ! The pace of change went from all-metal TR, to TR disc, to motion disc, to TID, etc... etc.... Contrast to now, and there's some machines 20 yrs. old that are every bit as viable and competitive to what you can buy today.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bluetooth wireless technology is waaaayyyyy ahead of the metal detecting industry. We should easily have detectors that integrate with an app for smart phones,watches and tablets.
The microprocessors in these items are hundreds of times faster and more powerful.There is already wireless audio that works through wrist bands and transmits vibrational audio through your finger to your ear without sound waves traveling through air.
I predict that the Chinese or Japanese or maybe Eastern Europeans will beat the "big three" and release smart detectors that integrate with the latest wireless smart gadgets and, unfortunately, the big three brand names will remain but the owners will sell out to the eastern companies after dropping the wireless/smart ball.

Pinpointer, all such improvements that you speak of are only "whistles and bells". Sure, it'd be cool to lighter weight machines and so forth. But at the end of the day, the INFORMATION and ABILITY you're getting , is the same. In other words, you're not going deeper, or having any more added info about the targets in the ground.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit. My MXT does seem a little ancient when compared to the tech and displays that I'm used too seeing on my phone and PC. But it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread