mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So we are going out to relic hunt this weekend in central Virginia. This will be the first relic hunt and I am really excited to exercise the AT Pro. The area we are going to had a good bit of skirmishes and encampments. I have mentioned my friend who got me interested in detecting and he has found several GREAT items IMHO. Enough so to talk me into the expense.

I will report back with our findings after we get back. FIRED UP!!!

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy this hunt, you won't forget this one. Anxious to see what you find, good luck!

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have been practicing at the beach and some in my yard. My first find was a tall boy Budweiser can 8 inches down. Since then I have found all sorts of change. I actually set up a test run with a bottle top, pull tab, black powder bullet, silver dollar and a gold tie clip. So maybe this will help with regards to signal recognition.

I cannot wait to get out there.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want company? Lol
I'll be out on property near the north anna campaign in the morning. Good luck to yall!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
0121171514.jpg 0121171514_Burst01.jpg 0122171227a.jpg 0122171227b.jpg 0122171227c.jpg 0122171227d.jpg 0122171229.jpg 0122171229a.jpg

Here is what I found on the first hunt. I hope the pics come out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Top Row: End of a wagon axle. We found what we think is the whole thing. About 80 lbs and 5.5 feet long. Modern 32 cal bullet (I think)
Second Row: Two more shots of the bullets and some sort of copper ring
Third row: More shots of the bullets

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine after only 5 minutes in the woods found this Union Officers Sword Buckle. (We Think) It is amazing and really got us spun up about hunting!

0121171125.jpg 0121171125a.jpg

rvosburg

Apr 27, 2010
Lakeland La.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 coil, 6X10 DD Eclipse
Man I love that buckle. I have found a bunch of civil war bullets and cannon ball pieces, but so far no buttons or buckle. Very nice find.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mlutz, first I want to wish you the Best of Luck on your relic hunt. I really like the Officers Sword Belt Plate. Very cool find. Hunting Ole' Virginia.....you gentlemen are truly blessed. I have been hunting off and on since the early 80's. We don't find too much these days, but we stay at it when we can. I had a cousin who lived in Alexandria up until his death a few years back. He was a little older than I am and he was a relic hunter back during the centennial. He sent me two U.S. Boxplates he dug years ago. One came from Chancellorsville and the other from Harpers Ferry. They are in my collection. I hope you and your hunting partner find some cool CW Relics. WARNING: Relic Hunting is very addictive. Best of Luck and God's Speed.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello devldog,
Thanks for the response. One of my friends has been doing this for several years and he has gotten several of us into it. It is incredible what is still out there. The area that we were hunting had been gone over several times by others. I got a really good lesson on the Pro setting on my AT Pro and the iron discriminator was awesome! In a couple of areas I had it up to 35. The axle still hit! According to the guy that owns the property, there was some sort of depot in the area where engineers/bridge builders were camped (The area that the wagon axle was found)

Where we found the belt buckle was another piece of property. On a side note, we got permission to hunt some private land near Richmond next weekend!!! The owner has found TONS of stuff there so I look forward to that hunt!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron infested areas take a long time to cover. The iffy signals get dug and will help clean up the sounds around it. There's more in the noise then you know. You'll be back to that first spot as you get better at it. Have fun and good luck.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really do want to hit that iron infested spot again. I am certain there are more goodies in there and I need the practice anyway. We are going to the property near Richmond this weekend. It is going to be pretty cold, but I don't think the ground will be frozen. From what I have been told there have been many relics found there. (Buckles, bullets, guns)

As for the area where my friend found the belt buckle, I will have to hit it again. Where there is one, there has to be something else. I may try my headset the next time in case I was missing subtle tones just using the speaker. Again, still learning the machine.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can handle the noise. Don't notch anything for an hour here and there. Run the Sensitivity as high as the ground will allow in pro zero.
Listen to the Iron as you swing, if there's a spike in the sound and I mean subtle. There's something there worth checking out.
Try not to get in the habit of looking and judging whats there by the VDI numbers. The same item, say a two piece button may ring up good right side up but turn it over or add a sliver of foil, "JUNK"! At an angle even different again.
So learn to be fast at Pinpointing the spot, digging, and using a pointer.

Here's an example. These two sound and read Aluminum Can with the AT. IMAG0522.jpg IMAG0493.jpg Both are Silver, the Tiffany Picture Holder is half gold and both found where modern trash was present.

These sound like pull tabs or screw on caps. 20161120_152531.jpg

This is Relic Hunting.

OP
OP
mlutz

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you can handle the noise. Don't notch anything for an hour here and there. Run the Sensitivity as high as the ground will allow in pro zero.
Listen to the Iron as you swing, if there's a spike in the sound and I mean subtle. There's something there worth checking out.
Try not to get in the habit of looking and judging whats there by the VDI numbers. The same item, say a two piece button may ring up good right side up but turn it over or add a sliver of foil, "JUNK"! At an angle even different again.
So learn to be fast at Pinpointing the spot, digging, and using a pointer.

Here's an example. These two sound and read Aluminum Can with the AT. View attachment 1406461 View attachment 1406459 Both are Silver, the Tiffany Picture Holder is half gold and both found where modern trash was present.

These sound like pull tabs or screw on caps. View attachment 1406460

This is Relic Hunting.

Holy cow Rick67!!! I will definitely give it a shot! This are great finds. As I have stated I am new so I am up for any and all advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread