Help a new member choose a detector

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I bought a cheap bounty hunter at a yard sale, dug a bunch of trash and gave it up. Last summer I had lost some tools in the field and borrowed a newer one from a coworker and ended up finding a couple of wheat cents. I've been looking at detectors under $1000 but I can't seem to narrow it down.

Under $1000
Will be used on a trashy farm with several old demolished cabins/barns in sandy IND. soil.
Will also be used in shallow creeks (1-4ft) So the coil needs to be waterproof
Property was owned by poor farmers, as far as I know. Expecting a lot of pennies and maybe some silvers, but gold? eh you never know.
No civil war relics around here, lots of rusty nails and trash.
No I'm not going to list the detectors I've been looking at, I want fresh opinions.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indiana? go colts!!

I only have had one detector, a whites mxt pro. It was like $800

If I was starting over I would probably start with a garrett at pro, most seem to like it and I think it is waterproof

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like mine, but I wish it was waterproof

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start with I would go with the AT Pro. It is a good middle end beginner detector. It will be fun to hunt the area you have. welcome to the forum. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For your conditions, a Garret AT pro. Without a doubt.

OP
OP
Dog Who Dug Your Plugs
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the AT pro require headphones? It gets quite hot and humid here during the summer, and I like to be able to hear my surroundings. The other detector I was looking at was a Tesoro Tejon or Tiger shark.

The AT pro kit on amazon with the at pro pointer ii and other accessories looks like a good deal, but the headphones aren't waterproof.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always use Headphones!

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to buy the waterproof headphones separate . You do not have to use headphones with the at pro. It's water submersible up to 10ft. I think it the best bang for your buck. Good luck.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People post this same question here about once or twice a week. FOBO does exist, but grab the bull by the horn and research the models that interest you by searching previous threads to see what you find. Watch videos of the models online and make your decision. We all have opinions on what "we think" is a great starter, mid level or flagship detector. I have bought most of my detectors used and have not had any problems. I was brought up with the motto "Why buy new when used will do". I use the Kellyco site which allows you to compare specs of multiple detectors side-by-side. If you have a slow swing speed you might want to get the Minelab Safari. If you swing faster then you go with many higher end detectors form many other manufacturers like Fisher, Teknetics, Whites, Makro, Nokta, Garrett, XP Deus and Tesoro. All higher end detectors have multiple coil options. You should have at least 3 coils in your arsenal. A large coil to hunt target sparse areas, and a small coil for trashy areas (target dense), The stock coil that comes with the detectors is the best to use when you start to hunt a site. Which ones looks appeal to you? What info do you want to see on the screen to assist you in making the decision to dig or not. What tones are appealing and which ones turn you off. These are all personal preferences that YOU need to research.

GL & HH

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a new guy and I love my AT Pro! It comes with a head set, but as stated above you have to buy the water proof ones. I am sure there are several others out there that are just as good if not better. I can only speak to what I have. The learning curve was fairly easy. Good luck with your decision.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an AT Pro and wasn't impressed. If you need a submersible detector, great otherwise, really small screen, heavy, harder to change batteries, Big, hot expensive headphones, or you have to buy an adapter, etc. Very good warranty and decent performance but we just didn't click. For Iron littered farm and old home sites I'd choose the Makro Racer 2. (Ok AT Pro users, let the bashing begin)

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger has a lot in his answer. I followed his advice and bout used.. its was hardly used the owners Manual and accompanying CD was still factory wrapped,, when I upgraded I could not find a reasonably price machine so with help from great members here bought fro Kelly Co. you will need time to practice with your new machine I have an AT Pro and enjoy it,, all the best !

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like my whites mx sport, fits right into your category with under 1000, check it out

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like we are in the same boat as far as hunting locations. I needed waterproof for all the body's of water I planned on hunting. I went with the AT Pro and so far I'm extremely happy and it would be a good upgrade for you with good coil options and lots of features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Lots of options, keep in mind that there are quite a few pieces of equipment that you will need.

Pinpointer, good headphones, quality digger, decent pouch. That right there can run you $300 easy.

Although I did not follow this advice, I like the idea of learning sounds of a machine as you learn.

Sound yields very important clues about the target, and a lot of beginners trust their screen too much.

For this reason, I am suggesting that you buy the aforementioned gear and you will have about $650 to spend on your detector.

How about a Vaquero or Cibola? No screen, plenty deep, and you will be forced to listen with your ears.

Nobody can bash their quality or warranty, they are top notch.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Loco, all my modern machines were bought used at a great savings over new, and two of them still had warranty left on them. There are many people these days who buy a machine then discover they don't have the patience for digging all the trash we all find and sell their lightly or seldom used machines at reasonable rates. Ebay has hundreds for sale every day, so does craigslist. I use a site called Ad Huntr which allows you to search all of craigslist rather than just one small area. Found great deals on my ATP and Excalibur using Ad Huntr. If you are one of those folks that has to have new equipment be sure to phone T-net sponsoring vendors like Fort Bedford Detectors and others for best prices. They can give you better deals over the phone than they can in print.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger has a lot in his answer. I followed his advice and bout used.. its was hardly used the owners Manual and accompanying CD was still factory wrapped,, when I upgraded I could not find a reasonably price machine so with help from great members here bought fro Kelly Co. you will need time to practice with your new machine I have an AT Pro and enjoy it,, all the best !

captbo
sir, your avatar scares me

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cat who goes out in the rain and gets dirty and smelly. I wish that she is water proof.

You can get matching boots too -

yellow_rain_coat.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread