ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, been out this weekend with my new Tesoro Silver uMax. So far I am digging it. I am only searching on playgrounds this weekend and when I get near the equipment it overloads the detector. I have tried to turn the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 but I cannot get within a foot of the large steel structures. Is there a method to relieve this, or just par for the course? I figure really though, these are large steel tubes, it's going to be picked up no matter what.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
matter of course

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No relief for that. Get out on the sports fields!:occasion14:

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No relief for that. Get out on the sports fields!:occasion14:

I was hoping to, but we had quite a bit of rain this weekend and the ground was rather soupy in most places. I figured it was best to stay on the mulch while we broke in the uMax. :icon_thumright:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have the White's Prizm IV and it was great for the tot lots. Sensitivity down and move slowly toward the equipment. It would except the equipment as normal and allow you to detect right next to it and find the stuff others couldn't!

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found if you move the coil in a motion radiating out from a metal pole like spokes from a hub I can get hits very close to the pole on the outward swing.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Motion all metal. Retune to big steel then move slowly away. Or move slowly (very slow) towards and listen to a short rise and fall. Practice with coins.

Edit: Silver doesn't have motion all metal does it, or does it? O-well, thats what I use it for.

Edit again: Also try the Compadre double beep.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, been out this weekend with my new Tesoro Silver uMax. So far I am digging it. I am only searching on playgrounds this weekend and when I get near the equipment it overloads the detector. I have tried to turn the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 but I cannot get within a foot of the large steel structures. Is there a method to relieve this, or just par for the course? I figure really though, these are large steel tubes, it's going to be picked up no matter what.

Use a good pinpointer, I use my Detectorpro uniprobe, It allows me to get up right by the equipment and search. I have found several pieces of gold doing this....

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing you can do is if the lot has loose chips in it, just scoop them out from around the poles and test, kick them back in.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my smallest coil and turn down the sensitivity to the bare minimum. Pin pointers work great too, but, takes a bit of time and effort. I've also used the rake/scoop method with good success.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My TRX is the tool for this job. This pin pointer has the sensitivity to cover ground, yet be able to work in the tight places also. A tap will de sensitive it for those little corners. I have had very good luck and have been able to more than pay for the TRX several times over using this method.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't hunt around playground equipment much, but when I do I stay clear of the side metal poles. I typically detect under the swings and in front of them where someone can almost be upside down if they swing high enough. Also the monkey bars are good or anything they can hang upside down on. These areas have kept me busy enough to not get near the poles. Not saying I haven't missed something by not getting near the side poles, though. If i really wanted to hunt them, i would use my pinpointer.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Playgrounds are fun to detect. I typically dig all signals except foil in the mulch or sand. Lots of junk jewelry and occasional gold or silver. Low percentage of trash and lots of clad. I also find most of my foreign coins here as well. I go around the equipment 2x. First at full sensitivity staying 2' or so away from posts and sweeping open areas of the mulch/ sand. Then I go back a second time with the sensitivity way down but get close to the posts. I find lots of good finds under grated walk ways with sensitivity down.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Motion all metal. Retune to big steel then move slowly away. Or move slowly (very slow) towards and listen to a short rise and fall. Practice with coins.

Edit: Silver doesn't have motion all metal does it, or does it? O-well, thats what I use it for.

Edit again: Also try the Compadre double beep.

Hey,that is my vid!
I have tried all kinds of detectors, settings, coils, methods and whatever else to get close to these things and have done ok but nothing I have ever tried can find targets near, next to or even leaning on big metal like the Compadre can.
The good thing is nobody else seems to be able to get close either.
I hunted many in Bama and there was stuff everywhere in these things but when I moved to Kansas most of the tot lots were clean and I mean empty in most of them.
Like there was a crew that went around everywhere, only hunted these tot lots and picked them cleaner than clean.
I still found many, many coins, junk jewelry pieces and even a Loonie once at all of them and every target was within an inch or two of that big metal if not closer.
That Loonie was 4" deep and literally touching a big pole.

Get what you can where you can and one day get a Compadre and concentrate on those areas where you can't reach now.
Unless someone else in your area uses one all targets should still be there waiting for you if or when you do.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,that is my vid!
I have tried all kinds of detectors, settings, coils, methods and whatever else to get close to these things and have done ok but nothing I have ever tried can find targets near, next to or even leaning on big metal like the Compadre can.
The good thing is nobody else seems to be able to get close either.
I hunted many in Bama and there was stuff everywhere in these things but when I moved to Kansas most of the tot lots were clean and I mean empty in most of them.
Like there was a crew that went around everywhere, only hunted these tot lots and picked them cleaner than clean.
I still found many, many coins, junk jewelry pieces and even a Loonie once at all of them and every target was within an inch or two of that big metal if not closer.
That Loonie was 4" deep and literally touching a big pole.

Get what you can where you can and one day get a Compadre and concentrate on those areas where you can't reach now.
Unless someone else in your area uses one all targets should still be there waiting for you if or when you do.

Great video!

Love working the fence lines..Found a big fake diamond earring couple days ago working one.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this -↓

I use my smallest coil and turn down the sensitivity to the bare minimum. Pin pointers work great too, but, takes a bit of time and effort. I've also used the rake/scoop method with good success.

Yup; lessen the distance from playground equipment by turning sensitivity way down, and using the smallest coil you can. For the Silver, you can go as small as the little 4" concentric. It does better around the steel posts, but is really slow going through open areas. I like the 5.75" for totlots.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playgrounds are fun to detect. I typically dig all signals except foil in the mulch or sand. Lots of junk jewelry and occasional gold or silver. Low percentage of trash and lots of clad. I also find most of my foreign coins here as well. I go around the equipment 2x. First at full sensitivity staying 2' or so away from posts and sweeping open areas of the mulch/ sand. Then I go back a second time with the sensitivity way down but get close to the posts. I find lots of good finds under grated walk ways with sensitivity down.

You have to dig the foil targets too - a lot of gold jewelry rings as foil...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread