Newbie needs help, or maybe just a pin pointer?

mooseb

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a Garrett AT Pro that I received for Christmas, have about 8 hours on it so far, so not a lot. I set the ground balance manually and have been using it in Pro Zero with the Iron Disc at 25 or so. I have found quite a few larger items (old junk mostly) and a few small items. The problem I'm having is that I get what seems like solid hits, dig, and the target seems to move slightly, dig more, it moves more, dig more, it disappears.

What might I be doing wrong? Would a pinpointer help me? Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh...the old disappearing target! That will happen when you located a large RUSTY target that basically, literally disintegrates as you dig it up. And yes...definitely invest in a pinpointer, they are AWESOME...as they cut down recovery times, prevents a huge mess and gives you WAY more time to dig great stuff!! Some will refer to a pinpointer as a "crutch"...hmmm...well this guy will crutch along all day long! When I started, I used a very cheap pinpointer that wouldnt beep until it was a half inch from the target...then I cashed in all of my dug clad and pulled the trigger on a Garrett Pro Pointer...WOW!! AND I've never looked back...So look for one of the great suppliers on here and order one up...And the best way to learn that machine is to SWING SWING SWING...Good luck, happy hunting...ddf

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pinpointer will help tremendously. Until then you can remove the dirt a handful at a time and wave it over the coil. Top or bottom, makes no difference. Just make sure you aren't wearing a watch or a ring on that hand.

HH RN

OP
OP
M

mooseb

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to both of you. I didn't realize the back of the coil was receptive too! And I think I definitely NEED a PP. What's another hundred when you're in it for 6 plus already? Lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have to spend a bit more than $100 to get a good one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread