Map overlay ( mobile )

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't know of a program that does map overlays in mobile, but there is an app called "old maps online" that puts the usgs historical topo maps in a more usable format for a smartphone. You can search by city name and it will give you different years maps to caboose from. Once you click on one, you can view it in the app or online, and the online version is friendlier, allowing easier zoom in features. Maprika is also used and there are tutorials on YouTube on how to use it for metal detecting. Once you find landmarks on modern maps to compare on the older maps and mark, you can get an idea of where old houses and the like where located on certain streets in your area. But you have to have a new map and an old one of your location for it to work. The YouTube video is a must see to understand how to use it.

I hope this gets you started. I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of, but these are two I know of. Good luck....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know of a program that does map overlays in mobile, but there is an app called "old maps online" that puts the usgs historical topo maps in a more usable format for a smartphone. You can search by city name and it will give you different years maps to caboose from. Once you click on one, you can view it in the app or online, and the online version is friendlier, allowing easier zoom in features. Maprika is also used and there are tutorials on YouTube on how to use it for metal detecting. Once you find landmarks on modern maps to compare on the older maps and mark, you can get an idea of where old houses and the like where located on certain streets in your area. But you have to have a new map and an old one of your location for it to work. The YouTube video is a must see to understand how to use it.

I hope this gets you started. I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of, but these are two I know of. Good luck....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Thank you I will look at them!

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic airiels website is a good site for overlays but without a computer it is of no benefit.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya that is my problem. I have old pictures but no way to overlay and don't wanna spend bunch cash on an app

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic airiels is free to use on line. I have used old maps and tape them to the computer screen and having Google satellite map pulled up on the screen below the taped on map pic. Then I would zoom in or out and drag the computer image to fit squarely under the taped on map. You then can trace onto the old map the points of interest you want to compare. It has worked for me, but the free historic airiels has works as well but limits you to the age of what they have available.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historic airiels is free to use on line. I have used old maps and tape them to the computer screen and having Google satellite map pulled up on the screen below the taped on map pic. Then I would zoom in or out and drag the computer image to fit squarely under the taped on map. You then can trace onto the old map the points of interest you want to compare. It has worked for me, but the free historic airiels has works as well but limits you to the age of what they have available.
Can you give me the link to site or is it just historic ariels

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not able to give the link from the device I am using right now but if you Google historicairels.com and then type in your point of interest then any maps available will pop up. Click on COMPARE and use the slide feature to slide an older map over the current image. You may or may not have an older airiels map available but I have seen them to be old enough to find ball diamonds and old homes that are no longer there.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you