ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I started MDing about a month ago with my 10 year old son. We have fun. I was out solo today as he wasn't feeling it. I was at the park in the neighborhood I live in, not a public city park.

Always, a car pulls in and sits there while I was doing my thing. I paid them no mind. 20 minutes later a lady gets out of the car and walks up to me, "Hey, do you know what you're doing is illegal?!" (she had a very British accent which is weird in southern AZ), I tell her that it isn't, and that is I was in Tucson I WOULD need a permit for city parks, but this isn't a city park nor in Tucson and she continued telling me reasons (mostly made up) to support the fact that what I was doing was the absolute worst thing a person could be doing.

Anyway, our neighborhood has a FB group and she continues to tell me that someone posted me on the group and was saying I was digging up the park and to keep an eye out for the police, and she even said the people on the FB group are a bunch of babies who call people out for the silliest things. HERE IS THE KICKER: SHE was the one who called me out on the FB group. Instead of talking to me directly BEFORE she called me out on the internets, she decided to throw me under the bus and then tell me that I was in the wrong.

Usually I don't let stupid things get to me, but this is just tooooooooo dumb, and I am still very mad about the situation. Just needed to vent.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time this happens, simply turn to the person and begin to talk to them with sign language. They'll probably walk away and never even wonder how you can hear through your headphones.

Facebook is the ruination of our country.

HH, RN

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
That was rather cheeky of her, don't you think? Keep a stiff upper lip and MD on!
HH
dts

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rarely happens but it does, twice for me. What I do now (which I posted somewhere on the Forum before) is that not only do I carry my small trash bucket, but I put a plastic syringe (minus the needle) in it, I also carry two live rounds of dug ammo in a side pocket. ( one is a .40cal and the other is a shiny .22 cal. that had an encounter with a lawn mower. I show them the trash w/ plastic syringe visible, and the two rounds of ammo, and they calmed right down and reluctantly wished me luck---go figure. It's unfortunate but it happens. That's one way I have dealt with it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You handled that well. Can you imagine all her bozo FB friends running over to the park to see all the destruction you created and when they get there they look around and there's no sign that you were ever there! Ignorance is bliss and boy is she happy! Next time, thank her for throwing all the great trash you found on the ground!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Post this on FB-

Since my release from prison for strangling two people my psychiatrist suggested I move here, start anew and get a hobby. He decided this would be good for me as the beeping in the earphones help keep the voices from controlling me.

I suppose I should call him, but the voices are coming back and telling me not to call.

I'll try to not disturb you anymore ma'am, but you do remind me of someone very familiar.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You handled that well. Can you imagine all her bozo FB friends running over to the park to see all the destruction you created and when they get there they look around and there's no sign that you were ever there! Ignorance is bliss and boy is she happy! Next time, thank her for throwing all the great trash you found on the ground!

I doubt her friends have the time or inclination to do much more than complain on FB. Hitting the thumbs up button is about as much effort as most people care to do these days.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's encounters/people like this, is the reason that 99% of my turf hunting is done at night nowadays

Great advice....My last encounter was with a parks and recs employee on a 4th of July morning 0800. He went after my girl friend on the other side of the park, she said "go see my old man over there" and she was polite to him, he was not to her. Next thing he was in my face screaming:evil5: that I was bla bla bla...Ill call the cops etc. I was was on military leave:usflag: and those days are super valuable. And I also go under water outside boat launches and swim areas....Not too many blokes under there.

Last edited:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The premise behind FB neighborhood groups is a good one but they all seem to draw the whiney complaining babies and the trolls. The rest of the 95% of the normal inhabitants simply don't care enough to engage.

I'd do what others suggested and just shrug it off in jest and let it be known that they aren't getting under your skin.

Then get that boy back out with you. The kids do make those on the fence about complaining generally move along lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her your just looking for Booty

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got on Facebook about 8 years ago and it brings way too much drama. Deleted it 4 years ago. So peaceful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trick is in keeping your circle very small. I deleted or unfollowed any drama queens. I mainly use FB for my family/relatives and metal detecting. The best part of Facebook is that I have added six metal detecting groups where I get to see additional finds, some of them local to me. More resource relic references as well!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dรฉus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope this is not what I have to look forward to. I am getting into MD with my son and hoped we wouldn't see this happening. I am glad I do a lot of reading here as I can get and idea of what might happen and some good things to do to stop/prevent issues like this. I guess we will try and stay out of parks at prime time and def keep a bag of goodies in our trash bag to show what we are cleaning up from the places we are at.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hope this is not what I have to look forward to. I am getting into MD with my son and hoped we wouldn't see this happening. I am glad I do a lot of reading here as I can get and idea of what might happen and some good things to do to stop/prevent issues like this. I guess we will try and stay out of parks at prime time and def keep a bag of goodies in our trash bag to show what we are cleaning up from the places we are at.

Stretch, you say you're "getting into md'ing". I take that to mean you're fairly new to hobby. And as such, your post is a good lesson into what goes through the newbie's mind when they read "dire sounding" posts like this. And the instinctive reaction is to develop a "looking over one's shoulder" stance. Or the "inquire and seek permissions/ok's wherever you go". After all, no one wants "scrams" or legal problems etc.... RIGHT ? So who can blame the person who comes away wide-eyed after reading such posts, RIGHT ?

But I am convinced that this psychology is a little like shark attack stories: Tens of thousands of people swim in the ocean every day unscathed, right ? But when/if one person gets bit by a shark, it makes front page news, right ? But did the other 10k swimmer's stories get in the news? Of course not. Nonetheless guess what the skittish folk think of, when swimming in the beach, after reading such accounts ? SHARK ATTACKS ! Never mind that it's extremely rare.

So too is it with md'ing. Although, after reading such stories, you *might* come away with the thinking that "everyone hates md'rs" or "laws and LEO's exist everywhere waiting to bust your chops". Yet, so long as you're not a nuisance, or sticking out like a neon sign, or tromping on sensitive spots, the truth is: you're ignored.

In fact, I find the opposite to be true: People taking a genuine interest and asking "how deep does it go" and "what's the best thing you've ever found", etc....

The reason I say this, is that these posted stores, .... oddly ... have a vicious circle self-fulfilling loop attached to them (as seen in your response): The skittish person develops the "looking over his shoulder" notion. Well gee, guess what that does ? That's subconsciously picked up on by passer-bys. Who then ask themselves "gee what's that guy doing?".

Or the skittish person, seeking to avoid such stories like "he read about on the net", will pop into city halls wherever he's going. After all, he "doesn't want a repeat of what he read about on the net". Well guess what happens ? Some bored desk-clerk, who perhaps imagines geeks with shovels (yet perhaps would never have given the matter a moment's thought) answers your question with the safe answer: "no". Thus only perpetuating the very thing you/I DIDN'T want. The newbie posts his "no" on the net (lamenting his lack of freedoms). Others read that no, and guess what they do ? Exactly the same thing.

See the "loop" ?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dรฉus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stretch, you say you're "getting into md'ing". I take that to mean you're fairly new to hobby. And as such, your post is a good lesson into what goes through the newbie's mind when they read "dire sounding" posts like this. And the instinctive reaction is to develop a "looking over one's shoulder" stance. Or the "inquire and seek permissions/ok's wherever you go". After all, no one wants "scrams" or legal problems etc.... RIGHT ? So who can blame the person who comes away wide-eyed after reading such posts, RIGHT ?

But I am convinced that this psychology is a little like shark attack stories: Tens of thousands of people swim in the ocean every day unscathed, right ? But when/if one person gets bit by a shark, it makes front page news, right ? But did the other 10k swimmer's stories get in the news? Of course not. Nonetheless guess what the skittish folk think of, when swimming in the beach, after reading such accounts ? SHARK ATTACKS ! Never mind that it's extremely rare.

So too is it with md'ing. Although, after reading such stories, you *might* come away with the thinking that "everyone hates md'rs" or "laws and LEO's exist everywhere waiting to bust your chops". Yet, so long as you're not a nuisance, or sticking out like a neon sign, or tromping on sensitive spots, the truth is: you're ignored.

In fact, I find the opposite to be true: People taking a genuine interest and asking "how deep does it go" and "what's the best thing you've ever found", etc....

The reason I say this, is that these posted stores, .... oddly ... have a vicious circle self-fulfilling loop attached to them (as seen in your response): The skittish person develops the "looking over his shoulder" notion. Well gee, guess what that does ? That's subconsciously picked up on by passer-bys. Who then ask themselves "gee what's that guy doing?".

Or the skittish person, seeking to avoid such stories like "he read about on the net", will pop into city halls wherever he's going. After all, he "doesn't want a repeat of what he read about on the net". Well guess what happens ? Some bored desk-clerk, who perhaps imagines geeks with shovels (yet perhaps would never have given the matter a moment's thought) answers your question with the safe answer: "no". Thus only perpetuating the very thing you/I DIDN'T want. The newbie posts his "no" on the net (lamenting his lack of freedoms). Others read that no, and guess what they do ? Exactly the same thing.

See the "loop" ?

Hey Tom! Yes, I am a N00B... I will admit it. Looking to have a little fun with my son exploring, finding goodies and learning some history about my area.
I am not paranoid about detecting but have read a ton on here and I like your replies to a lot of peoples questions.

First - I will not go in the Town Hall asking permission because like you have posted many times, nobody cared till I asked. I will look up rules and laws and do my homework before going out to local places. If it doesn't say No MD then it's the same as playing frisbee... didn't say no so I can do it as long as I leave no trace and respect the place like as if I was just there playing frisbee. Right?
I did like the posters response about carrying "ewww" goodies in a bag for those who question what I am doing as to show how I am cleaning up some unwanted items.

Second - My son and I will learn how to dig untraceable plugs in our yard before we go out to somewhere public so we do not tarnish our fellow MD's rep. We have read the code of the local clubs and will be checking them out and joining the one that has activities and people closest to where we live.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on what to do and expect, if you have more suggestions you can reply or PM me. Always open to suggestions. Thanks!

** It is hard to not post in a thread where whiny b&*%$#@ on FB whine and cry! Boy I hate FB **

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually take off my head phones and shout at the person "I can't hear you, IM DEAF".

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in my 4 years of detecting I have never been bothered by anyone ( well except the ladies of course)
Perhaps because I am a white haired old man who looks like he knows what he's doing, they figure I do.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many local metro parks give you a permit at no cost In Mich anyway!!!!!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that lady approached me I'd say "I'm on official business, looking for evidence. Evidence, what evidence?? Seems there was a woman harassing people in this park, she's gone missing. Looking for remains."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread