Watch-out Metal Detecting St. Augustine, Fl.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Lawrence, this link "made the rounds" years ago in forum discussion : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...t-augustine-florida-bans-metal-detectors.html

And the internal links within your link are now no longer working (just go to mother pages, but not to anything specific to md'ing any longer).

All I can say is: There's no shortage of md'rs in FL who have no shortage or difficulty finding places to detect. And that anytime you have a "scary link" like that , notice the persons they have to quote with those "dire sounding" things are purists archies they find to interview. Well what did you expect ? Naturally purist archies HATE md'rs.

Sort of like asking a PETA member "what do you think about the sport of Rodeo?". They will shriek that it violates animal cruelty laws, that that your car will be confiscated, etc... (perhaps even citing official sounding laws that could be construed to say such things). But what did you expect to come from an animal rights wacko advocate ? So too do I put little stock into what some archies say. I mean, sure, if there's an actual rule in some actual city, then by all means adhere. But otherwise, I grow a set, practice a little discretion, and .... find lots of places to detect.

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I go anywhere I want to and have never broken any law and have never even come close to anybody laying on the beach.Never been approached by the law and have had many conversations with life guards who appreciate our being there in case somebody reports a lost item.The only problems are the homeless who's intentions are sometimes less than honest and in a few cases downright crazy....so I carry pepper spray.I detect from Daytona to the Keys.....no problem.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Never been approached by the law and have had many conversations with life guards who appreciate our being there .....

And you only *think* the lack-of-anyone's concerns means you're "ok" and "legal", right ? But on the contrary: You must track down the type purist archies they quote in those dire sounding links. Show them the old coins you've found and ask: "Can I keep them for my own fun and profit?". Be sure to use words like "artifact" and "loot" and "indian bone" in your phrases. Then YOU TOO can post "dire sounding " no's to add to such threads.

As for the life-guards who've paid you no mind, here's the way you fix that: Find some deeply buried minutia about cultural heritage, ARPA, shipwreck salvor stuff, IRS tax laws, FL lost & found laws, etc.... Print it all out, show it to them, and THEN ask "can I?" type questions ? Then I'm sure you can fetch a "no" too from them as well.

Ok, hurry, go do the right thing. Make us all proud ! :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've recently hunted the beaches in St. Augustine, no problem.

You just have to stay out of the Historical Site's. They are well designated, you will know if you are in one.

Same with city property inland. Just stick to private property, with permission, and you will be fine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt the beaches, you need approval to hunt public property in side city limits, this is because of the historical history of Saint Augustine.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

What is the oldest city in the United States?

In 1513, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon discovered Florida on his search for the legendary Fountain of Youth. He landed at St. Augustine, which claims to be the oldest continuously settled city in the United States. Claimed as a Spanish territory, St. Augustine was officially founded in 1565.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread