A very strange hunt today

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a call today because a gentlemen lost his earring. I went out there, and he showed me the site that him and his friend were wrestling. It was a nice grass area. He had already found the earring back, just couldn't find the diamond stud which was laid in 14k gold. I was armed with my AT pro, with small DD coil and my Garrett Pro Pointer. I hit the area a bit and it was perfectly clean, unusually clean, a very nice clean area. So I asked him for his other earring (he had a matching set). It did not make my AT Pro go off. So I tried my Pro Pointer. Not a bleep. I checked some of his friends earrings just for good measure and both my AT Pro went off (around 65 or so) and my Pro pointer went off. I pulled a small piece of foil out of the ground about 3 in down. I demonstrated my equipment worked on coins, chains, small pieces of all different types of metal. The "back" to his earring which he did find, DID make the Pro pointer go off. But the post/setting/diamond stud did not. So I told him that it must contain no metal, and that I would assume its plastic. They were all in shock.......he gave me a payment for my time in coming out there to help, but I must say I have never seen an earring where the setting was not metal!

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the was a full moon, a partial eclipse, and a Meteor shower also.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man loses earring while wrestling with friend in grass? Glad you ended that story there!

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man loses earring while wrestling with friend in grass? Glad you ended that story there!

And all his friends earrings set the detector off. To each there own but I couldn't help but think how a few years ago the earring not setting off the metal detector would not have been the strange part of that story.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the earring back was made from some kind of composite material? Strange indeed!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Maybe the earring back was made from some kind of composite material? Strange indeed!

The earring back set off the pro pointer, the earring itself (diamond, likely fake, and stud/setting) did not.

I had never seen resin/plastic earrings with a metallic finish of some kind......

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earring back set off the pro pointer, the earring itself (diamond, likely fake, and stud/setting) did not.

I had never seen resin/plastic earrings with a metallic finish of some kind......

Sorry, I meant the stud setting. But overall, yeah, that would stump me too.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The stud was too small for that ATP to pick up. Only a high frequency machine could hit that stud, because of it's extremely small size.

Maybe?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The stud was too small for that ATP to pick up. Only a high frequency machine could hit that stud, because of it's extremely small size.

Maybe?

I physically touched the Pro Pointer to the stud. ProPointer will alert even on a small spec of tin, nickel, iron, etc.....I just touched it all over the stud/setting and not a bleep. I used 2 different Pro Pointers, the new carrot and the older black model. It has to be a resin/plastic. Sort of like xmas ornaments that have that metallic look but are just a plastic with some sort of metallic looking coating which is actually plastic. Even a foil coating or "plating" would have caused the Pro Pointer to alert......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had several earring hunts where none of my 14 detectors (including pin pointers) would get a hit on a stud earring except for my gold nugget machine and my old TinyTec pin pointer. If you have access to a dedicated nugget machine, you might want to give it another try.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had several earring hunts where none of my 14 detectors (including pin pointers) would get a hit on a stud earring except for my gold nugget machine and my old TinyTec pin pointer. If you have access to a dedicated nugget machine, you might want to give it another try.

No offense meant Signal, but Cudamark knows his stuff something fierce. You need a 18khz or higher machine to find those studs. They are not conductive enough, and too small for the lower frequencies to hit... or at least that's what they have been telling me.

Good luck sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread