would you guys/gals ever salt a patch with finds to gain permission to search

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
hi I was talking to a pal the other day and he said that sometimes if he was having a hard time gaining permission to search a poperty he would sneak back in the middle of the night and bury a couple of choice but worthless finds and approach the owner one last time and put a proposal to him/her along the lines of this

md person "hi i thought i would just ask one final time if i could search your poperty iam that sure you have important historical items here that i am will to have a little bet if you are willing"

landowner:"what kind of bet"

md person at this point produces a £100 in cash and says "if you let me detect for just 20 minutes and I find nothing of vaule you get the cash however if i find a relic/coin I keep the cash you get the relic and if you want I will do the rest of your property as well and we will split the finds"

more often than not this works and low and behold after 15mins of searching he wanders to the salted place and produces the finds gives the land owner them and continues with the owners permission to do the rest.

He justifys it by saying Iam not hurting anyone and the owner is quite happy with the finds I am promoting metal detecting.

I think this is the wrong way to go about it or should we all adopt these underhand methods let me know

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse to give My opinion, as it would not be Nice ;D

I'll just say "Not for Me" ;)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a gold mine for sale years ago and the entrance was salted with gold flakes.HHMM :D AA

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
My luck I would get caught tresspassing in the night and land in jail....No thanks

Retrieving the Coins because they said no
& Getting Caught :D

Ah ! Ah ! They are Mine, I was just trying to Pull one over on you :o

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm afraid if I had already told a person 'no' a couple of times,the third time he wouldn't get far enough in his speach to make a 'bet' offer.He would bodily be out of here with the dog latched firmly on his leg.Can't stand people that do not understand the word 'no' after the second time.I don't argrue or say a word,just take action.That's life in the Ozarks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions