Detecting near bridges?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I work in construction, and this year we are going to demolish several bridges on various roads and rebuild them. Some of the bridges are over good sized creeks and streams, and the roads are mostly state roads that have been in use for 100 years or longer. I assume that back in the day these would have been nice locations for perhaps picnics or other stops during long travels.

What I'm wondering is, what areas to target? Detect under the bridge, the embankments after the pilings and concrete are removed, the stream banks, or just everywhere? I assume that once we take up the adjacent road it's not worth detecting there, as the road base will likely be stone or otherwise hauled in from elsewhere. I will have authorized access 24/7 during the construction season.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried detecting under and around several bridges over the years and have never found anything but trash. Massive amounts of trash. If i were forced to detect a bridge i would concentrate my search on the upstream side.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some history research is in order -- find out how old each bridge is, if there was an earlier bridge, and if not, was it the location of some sort of crossing? If so, there could be some old coins and relics there. You can certainly expect to find a bunch of cans, bottle caps, screw tops, fishing sinkers (and hooks, be careful), and loads of glass when you're digging. I would expect some good finds with enough time.

In the river, if you can safely detect it with a waterproof detector could also yield some good finds, as a lot of people toss coins from bridges for good luck, and many a ring has been tossed into rivers as well. And needless to say, people lose things while swimming, and they tend to congregate under large trees and bridges, so it sounds like you're going to head into some great hunting.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Where about a bridge would you hide something at night in a hurry? Might as well check...

Some projects had worker housing / camp/ tents/ shacks on or near the site.
Those sites might turn up some relics.
A dam project ' s camp a relative detected......

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If shallow enough hit the down stream side in the water. I carry a strong magnet on a pole first to grab any big iron first. I have hit old safes and sometime guns are thrown off bridges. Look and see if it was a civil war crossing. Most bridges are located near a crossing anyways it may be up stream or down. Use google earth. If you start hitting horse and mule shoes wear the area out!
Good luck!

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back where I'm from in Pennsylvania the tributaries to lake Erie like Walnut and Elk crick have old covered bridges over them and some smaller open bridges that have been around for years.If I was back there again with my detectors I'd concentrate on looking under the bridges during low water in the summer and any swimming hole looking type of environment.Also check the woods in the surrounding area.
By the way......it's a crick not a creek if yer from Pa.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't say where you are so does the area have any history? Lots of possibilities for goods and junk.
Keep us posted if you do decide to do any swinging. I am interested in what you would find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread