My first metal detector..... So many to choose from!! HELP! :-)

Chipdoo

Greenie
May 24, 2007
Hi all,
I plan on purchasing my first metal detector in the coming weeks and need opinions on which to go with.
I will need a detector that does parks and schools (pretty much grass) and would also like it to be able to be used at the beach in a couple of inches of salt water.

Basically looking for one that will do it all but mostly will concentrate on coins and jewelery.
Since I'm new to this and though I'm a quick learner, I don't want something from NASA, but I don't want something from Toys R Us either! lol.
Looking to spend anywhere between $400-$650 or so.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!
-Chip

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can easily find a good detector for that money or even less if you leave out the couple inches of saltwater. Ground detectors don't work well in the wet saltwater sand or the waves of saltwater. For that you need a saltwater mode which isn't on the land units. You can get a ACE 250 for near $212.00 and it is great with many features found on higher priced machines. Many here would recommend it.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Coin detectors, gold detectors and saltwater detectors.... I don't know of a one that does all three with top notch performance.

I agree with Sandman, the Ace 250 is a good starter detector with great capabilities, for land.

I haven't hunted saltwater, so I can't really recommend one for that application.

Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Garrett all make good gold detectors.

No matter what, try and stick with the main manufacturers, those that have had a chance to prove their reputation.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Whites 6000 pro xl on Ebay, being auction by Dons Metal Detector's right now that is great in the parks and playgrounds, and can be used at the beach. I own one and it is a coin and jewelry magnet in parks and playgrounds. I have used it in the dry and wet sand at the beach, and it worked fine, but haven't used it in the surf. Since I have the Excal, and now the Sovereign, I never had a reason to use it in the surf.

Sandman, Jethro, wouldn't the Sovereign GT also be a choice to consider?

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
You might try Kellyco.com and look under all detectors, find the closeout and scratch and dent sales. See if there is anything in there you might be interested in.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Those are pretty much the same criteria I had last spring, and I finally went with a Whites M6. It's easy to use, gives lots of good info, and should do all you mentioned.

I've never tried it at the beach, but have read several accounts that it works well there. Not sure how close I'd get to surf with a detector that isn't waterproof though! :-\

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/matrixm6w.php

Not sure where you are, but if you don't have a decent local dealer, I've had great luck dealing with Dallas. You can find him in the dealer classifieds on this forum.

Dallas

Oct 2, 2005
Clatskanie, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some very good machines out there that do well at what you described. As mentioned though there is no do everything detector. There are a few that come close. I am amoung others, a White's Dealer, and very fond of how the M 6 performs with such little fanfair. It is very much a multi purpose machine that has a learning curve about as flat as day old Beer. Yet this machine holds it's own and more against many premier Coin Jewlery and Relic machines and when toggled into the Beach Mode and fitted with one of the DD Coils it does a very acceptable job at Beach hunting both in the dry and wet sand and an occasional dip in the Surf. Not all beaches are alike but I live in Oregon and have used the M 6 at several of the Salt Water beaches and it has worked great, even in the surf. At these beaches while in the Beach Mode,fitted with the 6x10 DD Loop and the Sens set at between 70 and 80 the M 6 ran smooth and quiet. I generally Lock the Tracking before going in the Surf. If you have a local Dealer, look him up and check out the M 6. Better yet, find someone in your area who has one and ask questions and beg to barrow their machine. Good luck and take your time choosing. It is no fun realizing to late you bought the wrong machine.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
One had mentioned ordering the detector, but I suggest going to a dealer and they will help you learn and understand your detector and help you with the hobby, too. In turn you will learn and enjoy the hobby that much more, which is key.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should also look into pinpionters and other tools

HH
-GC

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
lost at sea said:
One had mentioned ordering the detector, but I suggest going to a dealer and they will help you learn and understand your detector and help you with the hobby, too. In turn you will learn and enjoy the hobby that much more, which is key.

I agree, the problem I ran into, was that there wasn't a dealer of the machine I wanted within convenient driving distance. If that is the case, a supportive online dealer is the next best thing!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See ----> TonyinCt.......................

He will answer every question you have and give you the best deal you can get.

A local dealer isn't always the best deal. I know, I went to one.

OP
OP
C

Chipdoo

Greenie
May 24, 2007
Hello All,
Thanks for your replies! Sorry for replying so late also. I will take a look at the Ace 250 as mentioned.
I guess I can leave out the water hunting until i see how MDing works. I can always get another one as well if the hobby works out.
Its funny, I got soooo many spots where I live where I would love to check out, but never did it before!
Ill check out the Ace and will let all know what I settle with. It may be a little longer before I purchase one as Im in the middle of studying for my Cisco exams and that ties me up.
I figured maybe MDing could get me out and unwind my mind.....

-Chip

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING-Hobby is very addictive

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
plain and simple...get a used minelab sovereign...can handle any ground condition, is very deep and is a killer at the beach(wet or dry sand).shop around you can find one in the $300-$350 price range...look at www.metaldetectorreviews.net for reviews of many detectors....good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread