doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for some night light either head band type or one that can attach to the shaft of the medal detector. What is the best light suited that would not emit a frequency within the 8KHz to 20KHz range? Want to avoid EMI at all possible any manufactures one can suggest for good duration and lighting for night hunting?:metaldetector:

Upvote 0

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came back from a night hunt now. I use a camping headlight. takes 3 x aaa batteries. Nokta pinpointer has a good led that lets you see into a tight hole. It depends on where you will be hunting. Fullish moon right now so no real light needed for me here at a restaurant / picnic park. I like the red shaded led headlamps in the dark or low light as it allows your eyes to adjust quickly if you have to turn it off in a hurry. I hunt with one earphone off the ear also sometimes. keeps things quiet but allows you to hear also. The cat follows me around and enjoys the night time activity. Nothing like a night hunt in camo to make it more enjoyable and feel a bit "special opsish".....well at least until you realise that all you have is a fist full of bottle caps and $1.45 in change

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. Last thing how many Lumens is to much, and what is only really needed.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A medium lumen light should be fine. You're not trying to see boogeymen a half mile away. Just a hint though. If you have good or above average night vision you'll want to consider a red lens or a piece of photographic filter gel cut to fit the lens. Really messes with my night vision when used without a red filter. Switch it on for a minute or two & I can't see anything more than a foot away for a few minutes. Also, I've noticed the red light isn't as noticeable from a distance if you need to be in faux stealth mode. I used a dollar store headlamp that was just a flashlight bulb for a few years, worked fine but the two C batteries sure built up the neck muscles.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If possible, ... better than trying varieties of head-lamps and rod-clamp-lamps, .... try just doing full-moon nights and letting your eyes adjust. Because the problem with using lights (and back-lights on your machine), is that your pupils become adjusted to JUST THAT BEAM OF LIGHT. And you become blind to everything else around you.

There's always enough moonlight and starlight to see enough to walk around at night (assuming you're not on a full-black-out no-moon/clouded night). You can always bring a penlight to look at the dates on coins, etc.....

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the headlamp with the red light so you don't attract much attention but can still read your screen. I use it for discreet detecting.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
GeneratorMobileLightTowerOutdoorlighting_424bf62e-2ac4-46a0-965f-8bb95396ffcc.jpg
Its not a head lamp but it does the job.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to push product but we are a dealer for nebo brand light at work, they are a nice unit and are made very well. See what they have for something you need on there website

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the trigger already on the following hope they will be ok, figured pick up 2 of them one for my wife or son. Not sure what the low setting will be as it maybe the setting I will be in most of the time. If it is to bright I can cover it up.

https://www.amazon.ca/ProGreen-Adju...UTF8&qid=1489351368&sr=1-21&keywords=headlamp

Wow that's going to be a lot of light.

They new LED downlights that you can get for your home is around 600-950 lumens per fixture, so 500 lumens is going to be way more than enough.

Please do a follow up post when you've had a chance to use it.

As for a red gel on the headlamps, I've actually got a LED headlamp that has settings to allow me to go from "white" light to red at the flick of a switch.

I've not used it for night hunting yet as I just picked it up around Christmas time, so when my snow melts and I get a chance to use it I will do a follow up post too.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Headlight really freak me out because of the un-normal lack of perf. vision. It's like I can't see my normal daytime view of things. Yes you get used to it, But I can see pretty good in the dark after finding my way to deer stands at night for 50+years. My problem now is walking with spine damage! Hunt during the moon, and your pinpointer light and a compass will do ya. If you use a hand held navi. extra batteries in ziplock. Always bring a compass at night. Good Luck!

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my Litom headlamp today, very lightweight, one battery, came in the smallest package thought that when they shipped they missed some parts, no way, 35g weight without the one AA battery, really happy with these and the 6 mode options they provide including the red led light option, and waterproof to boot as well. Perfect for what I need.:thumbsup:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lessons learned for hunting in low light conditions:

Bring extra batterys. Carry at least two lights. Black tape will allow you to attach flashlights to equipment and work in a pinch.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Litom headlamp today, very lightweight, one battery, came in the smallest package thought that when they shipped they missed some parts, no way, 35g weight without the one AA battery, really happy with these and the 6 mode options they provide including the red led light option, and waterproof to boot as well. Perfect for what I need.:thumbsup:

That's the exact sort of headlamp that I was talking about.

If you are in a dark environment, any amount of light will seem much brighter than in an illuminated environment.

Good price too, so win win if you ask me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread