Upgrading my Whites Prizm II

N

Newbie1967

Upgrading my White's Prizm II

I recently got a White's Prizm II (okay, it's my son's, but I use it too). ;)

In the short time we've been using it, we've both become hooked, and already I wish we had gone with the III or IV. I know I'm not going to get away with buying another detector anytime soon (just ask my wife), so I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my coil. White's has 9.5" 8.3kHz coil that you can swap onto any of the Prizm models for $99. One thing I like is the open center design. But my question is this. Has anyone purchased this coil to upgrade their Prizm? Or upgraded their coil on another model?

What type of improvement can I expect? How much of your success is about the coil as opposed to the rest of the gadgetry on your MD? Am I better off just waiting a while and going with a different detector all together? ???

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the Prizm II, but it IS entry level, and I can tell that we're going to be doing this for a long time to come... :)

Thanks

NB1967

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Upgrading my White's Prizm II

Personally, I'd save my $$ until I could afford a new/better machine. The coil you speak of is a "stock coil" on most other whites machines, and really doesn't give much advantage to you. Most guys that use whites and have the standard stock coil, buy other coils to use in certain situations such as, a 5" DD or a 5.3" for trashy areas, and the larger DD coils for covering more ground, and getting greater depth in cleaner ground.

This is just my opinion and truthfully, if you're in this to stay as you've stated, I'd sell the entry level detector, take the $99 you were going to spend on a new coil, and take a few more bucks, and go buy a better machine at least in the mid level range of $500 to $600

Just my thoughts,

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Everything you say sounds quite reasonable. I'll forego the new coil and start saving up. I think what I probably will do is just keep the II and buy an additional detector - the II is actually my son's, and I don't think it's necessary for him to be toting around a $600 MD just yet.

Thanks for the advice!

NB1967

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

? ? Only my opinion but,?since you're saving up anyway save up $750-$900 and get yourself a Whites E-series. MXT,XLT,DFX. In the mean time don't discriminate out flip tabs and find your wife a ring or two. That can help change their mind about metal detecting.

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Don't get me wrong - she thinks MDing is great - it's just spending 700 bucks that's not too cool right now!!! ;)

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

Hey Newbie 1967,

Ive been watching and waiting to see if they would introduce a 6" coil for the prizm as I would like to have a smaller coil. In fact the main reason I havent looked more heavily at the prizm is the lack of smaller coil. I am going to go against the grain with this observation and comment; that the most expensive detector doesnt always make the best finds. but the person who knows their machine inside and out does. Keep using your Prizm 2 for a couple of years you will find enough to get that more expensive machine if that is what you want then. Your wifel will be happy too as the house budget hasnt taken a huge hit

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

dave-enc said:
Hey Newbie 1967,

Ive been watching and waiting to see if they would introduce a 6" coil for the prizm as I would like to have a smaller coil. In fact the main reason I havent looked more heavily at the prizm is the lack of smaller coil. I am going to go against the grain with this observation and comment; that the most expensive detector doesnt always? make the best finds. but the person who knows their machine inside and out does. Keep using your Prizm 2 for a? couple of years you will find enough to get that more expensive machine if that is what you want then.? Your wifel will be happy too as the house budget hasnt taken a huge hit

Sounds like a plan. You know, the more I learn about this hobby the more I realize I have yet to learn. I would have thought, on the surface, that "bigger is better" - but this is the second time I've heard someone saying that smaller has its uses too. TOWCritter and I were trading e-mails the other day and he said the same thing.

I wonder if maybe my next purchase should be a decent pinpointer. Any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread