Local Historical Society

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I've heard many people talking about doing a bunch of research to locate lost treasure and I have just found the biggest strike of research information imaginable. The Local Historical Society. I've lived in the same city for almost 12 years and never thought too much about it but I stopped in the other day and the lady had a ball showing me everything under the sun. Pictures of hundreds of people at church gatherings, school photos, dedications, you name it, they had a picture of it. There is so much research information available, it's staggering. I even found out there used to be an amusement park in my town along with the locations of many of the attractions, ticket booths, concession stands...

Anyway, if you haven't considered the Historical Society, check it out, you may be amazed at what all they have. Chances are also good that they would love to show it to you.

Dudes

Upvote 0

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Dudes, your right. The Historical Society is a trove of information. The Historical Society here in SC has even gone as far as to tell me they are getting stories almost on a daily basis about hidden treasures and cache's. Unfortunately, the man I was working with at their office has quite and taken the stories with him. Now we're back to square one again. However, it might be something for you and everone else to check out in your states. The employees are usually very happy to give you the stories. After all, that's what they're there for.
xXx

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your historical society is like ours, they may have a store where you can purchase books of historical nature. I purchased such a book. It was a reprint of an 1874 state atlas. It shows where all the rural schools, churches, and farm houses were, by county. If you compare this to a modern county map, you may find that a lot of these places don't exist anymore, including town sites. But you can bet that whatever was lost there is still there.
You will need to get permission from whomever owns the property now, but many of these places around here are either bean fields or corn fields. With the proper permission, and before the crops are planted you will have an enormous opportunity to detect.
I have searched such places where the landowner didn't even know that there was a schoolhouse on the property. I then offer to show them what I find. Many times they are amazed at what was found.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
If not the Historical Society, then check your local or county archives. You'd be amazed at how much info. is tucked away there. Ours is in the basement of library. Word of caution-it can become as addicting as this forum. I can be down there for hours and forget I need a cig. HAHA. Don't forget coffee shops-those old guys can talk your leg off if you let them.

Bossgobbler23

Oct 24, 2004
Mid-Michigan
I'm going to my first historical society meeting tonight (in 15 minutes). I hear a lot about these. Can't wait to see. I love history.
I found a 1906 platt map of the county. It listed shcools & churches that are no longer in existance. Its also good to check out topographical maps of your area. The older ones were VERY detailed. You'll be suprised. The local library also has old newspapers on film. Its good to check out the papers just prior and just after holidays, especially the summer ones. You will locate the picnic groves, the ballfields and the revivals.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread