Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't keep much except for coins and jewelry. Coins accumulate in plastic jars, and get a cleaning when there's enough. The jewelry, which so far has only been junk, just gets put in a different plastic jar. Have no idea what I'll do with it all.

As for keeping track of when/where I found something, I use a spreadsheet from MDHTALK - Home: Metal Detecting Hobby Talk Under the "Forms" tab, there is a 'Finds Excel Spreadsheet' and a Lite version. I use the full version, and modified it a bit to include which machine I used, and my expenses. Other than junk and clad, I can pretty much tell you when, where, and with what machine something was found. I also like it 'cuz it gives me a running total of my finds.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only keep silver and gold really, a few cool toys or artifacts here and there, but most goes in the trash. Bullets go in the lead pile for making fishing sinkers. All rusty iron axes, tools and rusted out pocket knives go right in the trash because to me they are trash. If I had kept all the rusty iron junk I'd have buckets and buckets full which I don't need. Brass junk like lipstick tubes and modern buckles like those for dog collars all go in the trash or scrap metal bucket and I give my brass and copper scrap to a friend who collects and sells it since I don't find enough to really save and sell it myself.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding even junk jewelry is a delight, and sometimes you find something really cool, but still just junk. One man's trash is another man's treasure

I keep my finds separated and sorted in coffee cans, one specifically for precious metals. And I keep the pennies separated from the clad - you shouldn't tumble them together anyway.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use hang printer drawers on the wall, I have 3 inside for my finds beginning late last year. I have 2 older ones in the garage, one has relics from 2014 through late last season and one for older toys (mainly tootsie toys). I keep many of the other items in 5lb plastic coffee containers, thinking that I will make a collage with them. I have many coin folders for all US denominations and one for Canadian pennies. Doubles, triples etc go in coin flips. Wheats get separated by decade in plastic coin tubes.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have various sizes of plastic ziplock bags (Hobby Lobby), and use a sharpie to mark the bag for location where found. Not very sophisticated, but it works.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the couch in various states of disarray. Best things go in the safe deposit box, but there isn't much in there. Actually, minie balls go in riker mounts. Iron in tupperware tubs.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some of those clear tackle boxes that have the separate compartments. Works great!

afmo

Jan 29, 2017
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull tabs, nails, other random metal with no value I put in mason jars and they make good country style decorations. Coins with no numismatic value go in a mason jar and coins with value go in flips and into a binder.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i go to estate sales.garage sales whatever to find those fold out things the little old lady's used to keep there sewing supplies in,i just love them.do not tell anyone though

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I collect so much different stuff....change from coinshooting goes in Duke's Mayonnaise Jars, by year. Good stuff put away in safe deposit box. Cannon balls (some of which I did not dig) go in some cast iron kettles I have, better coins in flips, rest of the CW relics in Riker cases or the tupperware tubs and trash in the trash.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490890587.140730.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490890608.550419.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490890626.128730.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490890732.095615.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490890776.855338.jpg
This is what I do with my finds

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have various sizes of plastic ziplock bags (Hobby Lobby), and use a sharpie to mark the bag for location where found. Not very sophisticated, but it works.
You too? I get my zip locks from the dollar store. They come 50 per pack 4 packs for $.99. It took me awhile to figure out why some people were staring at me funny. Guess they thought I was buying them to put dope in go figure. While you're there grab a pack or two of 3 x 5 file cards. Cut them to the size of your bag put you info on it and put it in the bag with your goodie or staple it to one of the flaps. Hope that gives you a good idea!

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my silver in coin flips, and then in coin sheet, in binder's... 25 to a page..

For my rings, I bought a dollar store box, put a piece of foam in it, covered with felt... (total $3 in dollar store) when I get a better ring for my box, just cut a slit with a knife and push in...

20170331_142621.jpg 20170331_142638.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Michael's (and probably Hobby Lobby) have many different sizes of ziplock bags at bulk prices. I originally bought a bunch when I was actively hiding geocaches, but today they hold my finds, along with a Post-It describing the object and where I found it. Those then go into one of several plastic pencil boxes from Target, one for coins, one for misc relics, and one for bullets and headstamps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions