How much does discrimination affect depth?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest thing with discrimination is the higher you turn it the more you miss.
I havent really noticed a depth loss on my detectors using disc.I still find targets 6"-10" deep.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Generally speaking, the more DISC you use, the more depth you lose. If I had to guess, I'd say a 25% loss, at higher DISC.
I usually run all my machines with no DISC, and let my ears and meters differentiate.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
fisher claims no loss of depth regardless of discrimination on the coinstrike. i have heard many detectorists say their is loss of depth when you run disc though.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some manufactures make claims that can't be proven either way as there are to many variables to call the claim false. They tell us what we think we want to hear so some of us believe everything that is in print. "Duh.......They wouldn't say it if it wasn't true." Course you believe everything you read from someone that wants to get into your pocket.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
All tone I.D. machines depth capabilities are effected by descrimination. If you are hunting at a normal sweep speed, deep targets will come in at a lower tone than normal. A silver dime at 7 or 8 inches will be a mid tone most of the time and maybe even a low tone. If you set your disc. much above iron you are missing most targets of that size. In a previous remark someone said that classification of targets were effected by depth, this is the same thing. If you slow your sweep speed down these mid-low tones will be high tones in the coin range. I run at "zero" and hear it all. Your machine will tell you what it is if you learn it's language.

Les

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
All the above may be true with most detectors however the new Fisher f75 has such a quick response that the target is identified more clearly as the sweep speed is increased. Also as the discrimination is increased it applies more gain and thus gets deeper targets. Now I have been a dyed in the wool EX2 user for some time but I also have an f-75 and it is impressing me more and more the longer I use it. When silver dimes at 9-10+ inches sound off like they are at 3-4 that really gets my attention and I might add are ID'd correctly. Granted I am running it pretty hot and can in the area I was hunting which cannot always be accomplished due to electrical interference but on the whole is is one hell of a machine

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
erikk said:
All the above may be true with most detectors however the new Fisher f75 has such a quick response that the target is identified more clearly as the sweep speed is increased. Also as the discrimination is increased it applies more gain and thus gets deeper targets. Now I have been a dyed in the wool EX2 user for some time but I also have an f-75 and it is impressing me more and more the longer I use it. When silver dimes at 9-10+ inches sound off like they are at 3-4 that really gets my attention and I might add are ID'd correctly. Granted I am running it pretty hot and can in the area I was hunting which cannot always be accomplished due to electrical interference but on the whole is is one hell of a machine

I guess I will have to get an f-75 and give it a try. I have been using an original cz6, one of the first 12 prototypes. I field tested it about 15 years ago and have not found any machine to beat it yet. When you use a machine that long you hate to learn all of the squeaks of a new one. I have dug coins that other machines didn't touch. What I referred to abv. was true for the cz series and other 3 tone I.D. units. Most of the deep coins (7 to 10") give a low tone at first but will come up to the coin range when you check with a very slow sweep. I hunted a park last year and recovered 52 barber coins over several days hunting. 3 were quarters and the rest dimes. All coins were over 6 inches. I also had over 60 Indians all of which were very bad condition. I think it had been hunted several years ago because of the lack of larger coins.

Les

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
from what ive read some of the new machines are not subject to this f-75, t-2, xterra's and believe the c$ one other fisher, cannot remember which

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Some machines are affected by it, and some aren´t (To a lesser or greater extent).
The same with sens, it depends how the manufacturer has constructed the machine.
I´ve seen some that have lost 80%, others only 2% or 3%.
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread