Minelab Explorer 2 General Advice Needed

medelman

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2005
White Bear Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hi Folks,

If you saw my post over in the mug shot forum, I mentioned that I had picked up a minelab explorer 2 about a month back. Anyways.. the ground is finallly starting to thaw here in Wisconsin. I went out for a very short time after work today to a local park and just wanted to finally get out and try my detector. I had played with it indoors doing some air tests and such, but nothing outside in the real enviroment till now. When I got out to the park, I am not sure if I am just using the detector wrong! or there is HEAVY trash in this park. I used the noise cancellation button as directed. I even went into the options and masked/notched out the common trash items like foil, bottle caps, etc. It did reduce the amount of bleeps, but I still kept getting them regularly ever couple of feet. It was getting cold again and started to snow, so I decided to just pack it up and go home for the night. Am I doing something wrong? :-\ Is there going to be THAT much trash in a park? I've picked up andy sabish's book on using the original explorer and I've learned alot from it, but I guess I need to re read it! Hopefully it will be warm enough soon to go out for an extended period of time and dig at least something! ::)

Matthew

Upvote 0
F

Floater

Hey Medleman. I'm not sure about your machine but I have the Excalibur and a couple of things i have read point to some of the problems you might have. Check the way your cable is wrapped around the post by the coil A lot of times if the wire is coiled to the bottom it can cause a small amount of interference. Some guy reccomend taking it up the shaft about 5 - q 10 inches straight and then star the wrap. The other is if there are highpower tension wires around. I know on my machine also that i need to set it on the ground to balance the noise and discrimination first then bring up the tone so it is just audible with the head sets on and then start swinging. Also I read you r intro and because of the weight of the machines a few guys have bought the bungee harness that helps take the weight off your arms. I will get you that info tomorrow. Hope this helps you and keep us informed. HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
altho I never Mastered the Explorer, 2 things come to mind

#1 . Sensitivity. If your sens' is too high, you may be picking up tiney pieces of metal.

#2 . there are that many signals. if they are repeatable, Dig 'EM.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?IF you get alot of Ghosts, turn your Sens' down.

I'm shure others may be able to give you better answers & will, for now I'll just say, you've got an Awsome Detector there & once you master it, you'll probably never want anything else.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting ................jeff

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
My cousin has one of the Exployer II's and it is an awsome machine...
I would say, the area you were in had a lot of trash. Not a good area for someone learning the machine, because it will go nuts picking up every little thing in the ground... I know when I use it, I have to hunt very slow in order to destiguish the differnt tones it has. Now as for my cousin,, he is very familar with the machine,, and skunk's me about everytime we go out... He can find a piece of silver right next to, or right through, just about any kind of trash...

Two tips he give me when I used his, was to hunt slow, and if all the other low end signals give you too much noise to listen to, try descrimanating some of the signals out...
Hope this helps,, Good luck!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
make sure you are using iron mask and start at around -10. Noise cancel everytime and make sure you are not sitting over metal when you do this.

Try manual sens @ 20-28 or as high as possible without falsing. EX II will false like crazy over very wet ground. Turn down SENS until falsing stops.

Make sure you're not wearing metal tipped boots or holding a metal sand scoop or digging tool in hand. It'll pick scoop up at 3 feet above coil.

Good luck! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread