Thoughts on Upgrading...

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have a Fisher F-44. Not bad for a detector and obviously low end entry level. I picked it up because it fit my budget and grabbed it off Amazon.

I have found what I think is a solid deal on a demo AT Pro. Just shy of $500, comes with a couple extras, and the warranty. Supposed to have little use and only indoors.

I know most guys have the AT Pro. It's what I wanted at the time and if I had seen this before hand I might have gotten it. My big question... how night and day will my experiences be with the AT? Is it really worth the upgrade (or should I start saving up for a bigger jump)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I love my ATP. It worked well enough to pay for itself three times over within the first few months I had it. With that being said, the only other detector I have ever used is an Ace 400, so my experience with others is limited. One thing nobody can deny about the ATP is that it's tough. It can be heavily used, even slightly abused, and still work perfectly. The machine you're describing should be good to go, and it's a good deal, I say nab it.

I think once you get used to running in pro zero mode, and maybe add the 5x8 coil, you'll be very pleased with it. I did a lot of research before I bought mine, and I'm still convinced that for the price, it's possibly the best there is. My only regret is that I bought an Ace 400 instead of two ATP's. Now, don't get me wrong, the wife and kids and I all love the Ace, but when we go water hunting, I'm the only one who can get wet. The ATP works great in the water, and can be completley submerged, which is a huge plus for me here in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Even if you already know that you want to eventually get a really high end machine, I bet you can get nearly all your money back out of the ATP, as it's the original owner who will take the biggest hit. But, since you asked, my advice is to buy the ATP, and keep the Fisher to share with a buddy. Then, if you feel like you really need to, save up enough money, or score enough finds to purchase a top of the line machine, keep the ATP as a great 2nd, and then maybe sell the Fisher. A guy should always have two, at least I think.

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett is coming out with something new in May. Maybe wait and see.... I do love my atpro but I did buy a nel Thunder to get a little deeper

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner runs an AT pro and I run the XP Deus. I have to say that the Pro is a fantastic unit. There are never any days where he kills me or days that I kill him. Signals I find, he'll hear just as clear. I will say that he's had the find of the day for quite a few hunts now. It's a great machine. I will never ever trade my Deus though, it's my perfection.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buying as high and as new as you can go is fine. Newer/higher is not always better, though.... but it can be an addiction! If you can afford it, go for it. Myself, my two 250s and GB2 (and Falcon MD20) will do just fine for now. I believe I may buy another GMT, though. Gave ALL my gear/books away a few years back and will need another GMT. That's it. ... I'm rambling.... Go for it. TTC

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP and always recommend everyone own one. I find just as much good stuff with my ATP as my E-trac so as many have said higher or more expensive is not always better. It is nice to have different options for different situations as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a quality machine and if you go with it you'll do fine. However, before you buy be sure to look at the White's MX Sport. Sometimes it's best to save money and upgrade your detector. I saved for 6 months to get mine and I'm really happy with my choice. Keep in mind that whatever you buy you'll probably have it for years. Buying a new detector is fun! Good luck with your selection. Tt

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is a quality machine and if you go with it you'll do fine. However, before you buy be sure to look at the White's MX Sport. Sometimes it's best to save money and upgrade your detector. I saved for 6 months to get mine and I'm really happy with my choice. Keep in mind that whatever you buy you'll probably have it for years. Buying a new detector is fun! Good luck with your selection. Tt

GREAT signature, Tt!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detecting do you do? What are you looking for?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used several detectors in both horrible SE. red clay dirt and out west in almost perfect black low mineralized soil.
The F2 did well in both states, a bit deeper in the good dirt which is logical.
I have many friends that use the Pro and do well, they are one of the top sellers out there for a reason.
I, however, never liked Garrett tones all that much for some reason and when I decided to upgrade from that F2 which I used for somewhere near 1000 hours and got very good at understanding it's language and behavior I decided to logically stay in the Fisher family.
Why not use all that knowledge already gained I figured and hoped it would transfer over...and it did when I got an F70.
There was just a ton more to be learned, understand and be utilized, more settings, more power, more of everything.
I went on to use that F70 for the last three years and have achieved things that I never thought possible in some of the most difficult sites you can imagine in both that great soil and here in the worst.
For all that I found with that F2 what I am able to do now was just not possible using that one, as much as I loved it and still do.
That $650-$700 F70 is now available for $400 if you buy it in its new re-badged life as the Ameritek Patriot.
If you like that Fisher, became comfortable using it and know, like and understand that language just some food for thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Primus Palus

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I missed out on that deal so I'm back to square one. I should have jumped on it. That said, I'm still thinking of upgrading. I've spent some time looking into the MX Sport. Looks solid but maybe $100 outside of my range. AT Pro seemed like a good step up. I don't hate my F-44 but it's extremely chatty and I get crazy ranges for things (jumps from 30 to 70 to 90 back to 40... turns out to be foil). That's after 10 minutes of digging. I recheck the area, no signals.

A lot has to do with the crappy Colorado ground. I'd prefer my next upgrade be at least weatherproof, but waterproof is a plus. I haven't done much in water, but I could see trying it out.

As for the mentioned Patriot... I haven't seen much on it yet to feel good about that purchase.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The Patriot IS an F70...new colors, new name but all the same amazing abilities and lots of info around here about that one...much of it written by me.
With all that jumping I don't know, that much is unusual on any Fisher.
Mine is yours on steroids with way more power and I don't see that behavior.
Could be the ground, might be an issue with the unit or coil but whatever, Fishers might not be your thing.
Not everyone gets along perfectly with every brand.
If waterproof is a big positive for you then that Pro seems like an obvious choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread