HELP! Detector going haywire

Droffas

Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Teknetics 6000. Battery is brand new. swapped battery out a few times. Turn it on and it immediately starts going nuts (even when pointed at clear sky in a field) . Ive lowered sensitivity to 25%.Done ground grabs. Raised discrimination to over 50 and even tried multiple locations. The beeps jumps all over the map from 10 to 99 and use all 4 tones. if I go under 25% they stop but then it barely picks anything up in tests. Bought it new and put maybe 10 hours into it. Suggestions? Im going to call the store I bought it from monday but I had planned the entire day off today to detect.....busted:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check to make sure the coil wire is connected and tight, and if it still is going goofy, try a different coil. If you have a coil cover on it, make sure there isn't something stuck in there.

frank13

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Teknetics 6000. Battery is brand new. swapped battery out a few times. Turn it on and it immediately starts going nuts (even when pointed at clear sky in a field) . Ive lowered sensitivity to 25%.Done ground grabs. Raised discrimination to over 50 and even tried multiple locations. The beeps jumps all over the map from 10 to 99 and use all 4 tones. if I go under 25% they stop but then it barely picks anything up in tests. Bought it new and put maybe 10 hours into it. Suggestions? Im going to call the store I bought it from monday but I had planned the entire day off today to detect.....busted:icon_scratch:
You can also try putting a ferrite shield on your coil wire close to where it plugs it. It might help to smooth it out. I have one on my BH Platinum and it makes a big difference.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad coil. Have you had the coil around water or wet grass prior to the issue starting? Check for any hairline cracks that might exist. Check to see if the seal is secure where the wire enters the coil, etc. It's probably none of these but worth checking. Also, try leaving your smart phone in the car and see if that helps. I've heard of people having to turn their smart phones off but I've never actually seen this. Most likely the problem is from the coil or coil connection somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread