64 year old Newbie

Remle

Apr 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

I'm sure you get many of these type of posts. I'm 64 and looking for something new to do. I live near Placerville, in the gold country of California. I've been a gold rush buff for many years. Close to where I live, the Mormon battalion camped in 1848. I know a local property owner who found a military belt buckle from that encampment.

I want to hunt for relics. Buttons, buckles, horse shoes, square nails, mining equipment, opium tins, etc. So, I'm looking for a good detector. I've been studying the various makes and models and I'm open to suggestions. My preferences would be that it is light weight and comfortable, can also hunt underwater in creeks, relatively easy learning curve, good results. I don't mind spending some money.

Please, what are your recommendations?

- Bob

Upvote 0

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
Welcome Bob,
I am down the road from you in Sutter County. Mackaydon just gave you some excellent advice. You will narrow your choice quickly by talking to some folks at the meeting.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
HI welcome to the addiction lol

Look at the AT Pro I think it might meet what your looking for

Good luck on the hunts

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's MX Sport has twenty notches for selective discrimination, a mix mode program, and "Reject Volume". The Reject Volume allows you to essentially hunt wide open for relics and still have an ear for coins, jewelry, and silver. It's waterproof and weighs 4 pounds. Google up the owners manual for all the informationd. Hope this helps, Tt

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the garret at pro and whites mx sport. They are both amazing machines, though I am partial to my mx sport, the thing just absolutely kills it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can add the CTX to the list of waterproof machines.....and the best IMO.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that area I think it wise to look at the ATGOLD since you may find some tailings piles etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread