Hillshade maps - my new weapon for finding cellar holes.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're a cellar hole hunter, see if you can find hillshade map overlays for aerial photography. These comparison photos are of two sites I know of near me that have three colonial cellar holes on them which are clearly seen on the hillshade map and completely invisible on the regular satellite image. It pays to dig around a little, and it also really makes old roads stand out well! In the image where there are two cellars, they are each about 4-5 feet deep and stone-lined (I believe the larger rectangle inside the larger circle may have been a garden area or something- there's nothing visible there on the ground). In the image where there is only the one visible, it is literally just a short, 6" high foundation of rocks that is left. You can walk right by it and miss it if you're not looking but it stands out really well (along with the old road which isn't visible at all from the ground) on these overlays.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 607
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those LYDAR (sp?) images show every little non-vegetative thing!
All linear things show up very man-made!
You are right, its an incredible (tool) for all detecting folks that can
acquire theses things to use.
-thanks for the post!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, looks like just the thing to help with the search for a house that might have been. Cool find!:icon_thumright:

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're a cellar hole hunter, see if you can find hillshade map overlays for aerial photography. These comparison photos are of two sites I know of near me that have three colonial cellar holes on them which are clearly seen on the hillshade map and completely invisible on the regular satellite image. It pays to dig around a little, and it also really makes old roads stand out well! In the image where there are two cellars, they are each about 4-5 feet deep and stone-lined (I believe the larger rectangle inside the larger circle may have been a garden area or something- there's nothing visible there on the ground). In the image where there is only the one visible, it is literally just a short, 6" high foundation of rocks that is left. You can walk right by it and miss it if you're not looking but it stands out really well (along with the old road which isn't visible at all from the ground) on these overlays.

Okay ... where can you find these? Is there a place to order them on the net?

What about "trails" do these show up well?

Wonder if it would show rifle pits from back in the late 1800s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread