Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This topic comes around many times a year, I recommend you search Tnet previous posts and you will find a plethora of info on this topic.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What has been your luck/chances of hunting an area with permission without any luck? Is more then 50% of the time failure of more. Within your state, or province jurisdiction.

Parks
Private Property
Neighboors or Neighboorhood homes
Farm Homestead
Farm pasture
Government land
Tot lots.

Thanks.

Not sure what you are asking doggoneitdignit. Are you asking the "luck" of the quality of the finds ? Or are you asking the "luck" of the success ratio of getting a yes to hunt the areas you list ?

If it was the latter, then be aware: You do not need "permission" to hunt parks, govt. land, or tot-lots. All you need to do (if you are skittish) is to satisfy yourself that there are no rules prohibiting (ie.: a rule that said "no metal detecting"). If not, then presto, it's not prohibited.

As for the various types of private land you list, seems to be about 50/50 success at accessing. Depends on how much time & effort put into it. If I'm h*ck-b*nt on getting into a certain site, I'll pull out all stops to make sure it's a "yes". Eg.: finding out who he knows, so I chum up his buddies first, etc.....

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been doing this long, but I've had good luck so far. The only reason I've ever been told "no" is because the resident was a renter.

I always shave and wear a nice shirt when I go door knocking. It probably helps that I'm a white dude, and decently handsome (or at least I like to think so... :laughing7:) I always introduce myself by name and say I'm a metal detecting hobbyist. I think the word "hobbyist" puts them at ease. And I always ask if there are any irrigation lines or anything else I should avoid. When I leave, I knock again and thank them.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get that "reasoning" from a renter, I mention to them that unless there is some restriction in their lease, that they have full use of the property since they're paying for it. I've had many permissions from renters. I actually prefer them, as they seem to be less concerned about what we're doing.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
National Parks are no detecting; National Forests may be penalty; State Parks & Forests, may be penalty; County parks may or may not allow; Almost all city parks, public schoolyards & county fairgrounds allow detecting as long as it is neat. Ancient laws prohibit damage which should be defined as causing a fairly expensive repair to be needed. Best wishes.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unless there is some restriction in their lease, that they have full use of the property

My reasoning is that if a renter lost something in their yard, they would be within their rights to look for it, and they could also invite a guest to help. But I'm always trying to be a good ambassador for the hobby, so if anyone objects, I just let it go. There are far more places to hunt than I will ever have time for.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd prefer to ask in person on the chance they are out at the time, but what do you do if the house is vacant? I understand I can find out who owns it, but getting a number is hard and I prefer face to face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, if it's an unfenced, non-posted, bare lot, I'll hunt it. If it has a house on it or is fenced, I won't without permission. If it looks real good, I'll try to contact the neighbors to see if they know who owns it. Sometimes you can get other permissions that way.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
National Parks are no detecting; National Forests may be penalty; State Parks & Forests, may be penalty; County parks may or may not allow; Almost all city parks, public schoolyards & county fairgrounds allow detecting as long as it is neat. Ancient laws prohibit damage which should be defined as causing a fairly expensive repair to be needed. Best wishes.
Stanislaus National Forest rangers near Arnold told me "go get some!" But they reminded me about Indian artifacts. They also told me (few years ago) to go armed. It was cubbing season then. TTC

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the National Forest metal detecting rules:

The most common form of metal detector use is searching for lost coins, jewelry, and incidental metal items having no historical value. Such use is common in developed campgrounds, swimming areas, and picnic areas and requires no permit. However, one must assume personal responsibility to notice if the area may indeed contain archaeological or historical resources and if it does, cease metal detecting and notify a Forest Service office. Not doing so may result in prosecution under the Code of Federal Regulations or ARPA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread