Abandoned roads or footpaths near sawmill community?

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live near where a turn of the 20th century sawmill community used to be. When the mill closed in the mid-1920s the community died.

A couple of years ago the timber company had the trees cut. Using Google Earth, I can see some of the old roads going to where the community used to be. The road is not visible from ground level, but I can see them from satellite pictures.

I can also see a path going from where the community used to be to the sawmill location. The path is overgrown with weeds after the trees were cut and would be a pain to cover.

Has anyone here ever had any luck with these types of old roads or foot paths?

I have permission to do research on the land, including metal detecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in New England most old roads are "class 6" roads not maintained by the towns (actually they cant maintain them by law//)
These can be detected in places where the loggers have not dug and filled them for truck use// I have had little success but
keep trying now and then// A friend got a nice large cent and I a silver seated Qtr.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would be a kill-joy and say that to detect simply a path (or road or trail or whatever) is not going to be that productive. You are much better off hunting at places where people spent actual time at. Ie.: where they slept, played, drank, camped, spend money (stage stop, saloon, campground, park, etc....).

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Try up in Toledo Bend, Texas side right on the shore where you can camp at on the lake, then across the street is another spot for camping, just a little road that heads into the bush along the river. If you get in that river and work those banks you can find some good stuff too.

I was up in Polk for a few years and Toledo was always giving up cool things.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try it, parks etc. are great for filling in time for detecting, but a chance with something you have there is a really good "Ya never know" thing. It's nice being out by yourself without others watching you, with the off chance of finding something really good. Why not, go for it, again, "Ya never know".

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to ask, is this the Aldridge? As in the protected historic site.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long as your not wishing you were at work, go for it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the roads for cellar holes and abandoned buildings. Good hunting and good luck.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have hunted several sawmill ghost town's. The best spot is the housing area for the sawmill workers.They nearly all had tokens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread