bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Garrett GTXa 750, that is an amazing machine, even at its age. My son just turned 12 and wants to get into detecting also (I'm not a huge enthusiast, but I go out some times).

I bought him a Bounty Hunter QSIGWP Quick Silver. Sent back the first one and have now decided that it's just a piece of crap. The thing doesn't shut up.... So I'm sending the second one back, too.

I'm thinking about giving him my Garrett and buying myself a new one. I'm curious what you think would be a good detector at the $350.00 or less range?

Or do you have an idea for an amazing youth detector?

Is the new Ace as good as the old GTXa's?

I appreciate your response!

Upvote 0

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've also used a quicksilver that my buddy had when he first got into the hobby. I agree with you completely. Some guys seem to have luck with it, though.

I've heard good things about the White's X-venture. 140 bucks. You could put the rest of the saved money toward a good digger and a pinpointer for him. He's gonna want a pinpointer. I also just got a Tesoro Compadre for myself and I am very impressed. I think it would be a good machine for a kid. One knob for discrimination is all. It'sa great little machine. Super light, super fast, and reasonably deep. The discrimination is fantastic, too. 160 bucks. Just a couple suggestions, for what it's worth.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 140 bucks you can't go wrong. The Tesoro compadre is the easiest detector to use, great for kids and if he wants to upgrade later he can keep it as a back up or sell it and get most part of his money back. For that money you even can buy an extra good pinpointer.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my quick silver worked good unless i was under a power line or in real trashy soil thing beeped out of control best mod for those things are couple strips of tape over the speaker..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some pics Bryan
20170227_192332.jpg 20170227_192349.jpg 20170227_192401.jpg 20170227_192615.jpg 20170227_192630.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your price range and not water hunting, I'd get a used White's XLT.

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get him a AT PRO I hunt with a club and members have everything from 3030s to e tracks and killing all of them this year. Best machine I've had for sure.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say basically any Tesoro, the lifetime warranty, and the quality.

Detector owners get pretty particular as to the machines they use. I'm into the sounds of science and others are into beep & dig. Two years into my CTX and Indian Steve still kicks my butt every time with his Tesoro Tejon. He has been using his Tejon longer than I've used my CTX, but he's also a lot quicker to the plug than I am while I'm still studying the signal. I've hunted along side with ATP's, and they're a good machine. But, I bet Steve's Tejon would kick their butts any day, any time. One of my old buddy's stopped using his ATP and went back to his older Garrett - said the ATP felt like a toy to him. I didn't say that, I've never used one, though I started in the hobby using Garretts - my moniker here = Garrett Deepseeker ADS III - my first machine.

But, the thing is, a better quality (versus an under $200 machine) is going to get you into the dirt digging with some longevity - building to your next machine. You can just about trust me, if you use it, it won't be your last detector - you will upgrade from entry level.

There's still very important factors to consider: Location/location, size of wallet to purchase, and true desire to learn your machine. Many, many people purchase detectors and never go use them. You may be too shy to be seen in public swinging a machine. You really have to consider that as well. Where do you plan to use it and will you actually go out and use it? There's a thin line there. I got run off from sites so many times in the late 80's that I actually quit the hobby for 25 years. Met one county sheriff after another, and then the other pseudo important wannabes.

Just take your time and study peoples posts here concerning which ever machine you're interested in. Settling on your first machine is a complex choice as it is guaranteed you'll own many machines in the future if you actually do take to the hobby. There's always something better out there to feed your hunger.

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run with 3030 all day. Them guys spend 2500 to my 649 and I've kicked my entire club to the curb this year with my ATP

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run with 3030 all day. Them guys spend 2500 to my 649 and I've kicked my entire club to the curb this year with my ATP

I see many spending the most and finding the least. It's not he machine, but how well you know your machine. Luck also plays a roll, it may just so happen that you go for the highly traveled areas where they are slower and not as particular as to the route they swing in the area. They may also let you have the prime areas since you are newer to the hobby and they get enjoyment out of your elation of digging a keeper. If so Kudos to those guys. I find that the AT Pro swingers are a different breed and normally ID their detector in the title of their threads unlike users of other models. Remember this hobby is a marathon and not a sprint. They may know this yet you are swinging like a fanatic and covering more ground. There will come a time you may see the light and slow your roll.

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP period. Does the deus look cool ? Yep! Is a 3030 like owning a BMW YEP! But ATP Is built chevy tough. Learn to listen to your tones. Then read ur VDI. and ground balance! Always ground balance!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wonder how popular the ATP would have been without 'diggers'.... I agree that its more about the hours with the machine than the machine itself. Tesoro is also nice and light weight for a youngster. The SCREEN may be more appealing for a youngster though ; ) .
The eurotek pro from teknetics is very good value and underated (in my opinion) and now the teknetics range of the patriot etc. seems to be good value.
I like to look at kelly co for prices then come here to the brands section and see whats really going on with performance and actually living with the machine.
The little minelab x terras may also be something to consider.

remember, this thread is about advice for a machine, not a ATP vs the other guys thread.

Chub

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned 6 different detectors and currently have an etrac that I overlook. Wife wants deus so I'm trading for one. Been hunting 6 years as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread