Md

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.i am using garrett ace 150 more then one year and found coins with it now i am buying a metal detector for caches,large deep object .and there is 2 detectors for that perpuse here right now.minelab gpx5000 with 22" coil and other is whites tm-808 . Please any one can tell me which one will detect deeper ceches or large object deeper.i want to spent money on right detector so please help me

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TM808 is for deep and large objects. The GPX5000 is mainly a gold nugget machine. The TM808 will go deeper as long as the target is very big, such as a chest. For a coin, the GPX5000 would be the only one of the two that would detect it. For a soda can sized object, it would probably be a toss up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The TM808 is for deep and large objects. The GPX5000 is mainly a gold nugget machine. ....

To expand on what Mark is saying: They each might get the "cache" sized object equally deep. Heck, the GPX MIGHT EVEN GO DEEPER. But the "devil is in the details". If you get a standard or nugget type machine (which might admittedly go very deep or deeper on caches) yet you will FOREVER BE BURDENED by little stuff. ESPECIALLY if you get a nugget machine.

If caches (and large stuff) is your objective, get a 2-box machine like the TM-808. They won't pick up anything smaller than a soda can. And are the 'perfect discriminator' for nuisance individual coins, nails, pulltabs, etc....

And don't be fooled thinking you can get a standard machine or nugget machine and "use your ears" to pass smaller stuff. Ie.: to think you can just mentally ignore smaller coin-sized objects, and "only dig the bigger objects". Because trust me: You will forever be digging a bunch "just to be sure". And don't forget: A domino sized object at 10" deep, might mimic a statue/box sized object at 5 ft. deep.

So get the TM 808

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info.but a i read in google that gpx 5000 with 22 ,, coil do not respond to small nail etc and gpx 5000 respond well to large deep gold amd silver with 22 coil them tm808

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; We here are not sure of what you are actually looking for in regards to the Size of the object,(cache), or it's supposed Depth. BUUUTTT I will tell here & now that TOM gave you Solid Advice. Please follow it ok. NOW: If you care to impart as to the Size & possible Depths you are looking at then maybe We here can put you onto a different machine than the ones you stated ok. BBBUUUUUTTT I will tell you that it is guys like myself & TOM here that ARE the Pro's and We will steer you in the right direction every time based on the information you give is here. So PLEASE take Our advice when We give it to you ok. We are glad We can help you but only you can provide us with the information We need to set you up with the right machine ok. It is your call. We await. PEACE:RONB

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for info.but a i read in google that gpx 5000 with 22 ,, coil do not respond to small nail etc and gpx 5000 respond well to large deep gold amd silver with 22 coil them tm808

It is true that when you get insanely large coils, you cease to be able to find coin sized objects. I'm sure a 22" on a nugget machine would cease to find teensy nuggets. As to whether it also ceases to find coin-sized stuff, I dunno.

You want to make sure that it won't find objects smaller than a grapefruit. IMHO. If your objective is caches .

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for helping .i want detector which ignore bottle caps single coin ,nails etc and only detect 4 feet+ deep mud pots full of coins ,bronze statues ,treasure box etc

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TM808 would be the best choice for that if the targets are deeper than 6 feet or so. Less than 6 feet and either would work. The drawbacks to the GPX5000 would be as Tom mentioned, smaller targets fooling you into believing they're large targets down deep, and the price difference. Another consideration is the way in which they're used. The GPX500 is a conventional type detector that is swung in an arc with the coil close to the ground. The TM808 is a 2 box type detector that you carry knee/thigh high as you walk along at a brisker pace. You don't swing the TM808. You walk back and forth over an area to narrow down the area where you need to dig. After you have a hole going, it's helpfull to have a conventional detector to indicate when you're getting close to the target, so you don't damage it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
From my limited experience on the TM 808, I'd put depths as follows:

Mayonnaise jar sized full of metal : 3 ft.

Toaster sized object: 4 ft.

microwave oven sized object: 5 to 6 ft.

Refrigerator sized object: 8 ft.

Volkswagon: 10+ ft.

But the variables are endless. Depending on ground conditions and tuning. Depending on skill at what to listen for (versus what to ignore as flutters, etc....)

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for helping me. Now i understand that i do not need 5000 .i have question i read best 2 box is discovery ft 900 then fisher gemini 3 and 3rd is white tm808 . please is you can tell me why discovery tf 900 is called better then tm 808?.is discovery tf900 work more deeper or other reason?. And other i read in this site .is that pulse star2, pulse star 2 pro and pulse 2000 with 40×40 coil ignore bottle caps,nail, gave double depth then tm808 . I know that 40×40 coil will require large flat ground but is its true it ignore smaller trashesh like bottle caps ,nail etc and work double deeper then tm808 or other 2 box?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think that what you're looking for is deeper than 6 feet? It's not common to bury something deeper than a foot or two. After all, you want to be able to access the item at a later date and not spend all your time digging. Digging a deep hole would take time and draw attention to what you're doing. Not something you want to do when hiding something valuable.

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are ruins of kushan,indo greeks and other ruins and a man was found a bronze statue at 9 feet and i saw the hole but do not know whith what detector he found . 9 or 8 feet is not dig alone but with team of 4 people Please is you can tell me is discovery tf 900 better then whites tm808 and please is you can tell me about pulse star 2 detector

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only used my TM808, and haven't compared it with any other 2 box detectors.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
My sentiments are the same: Haven't used anything other than the TM 808. And I highly suspect that your reading of comparisons might just be "chevy-vs-ford" type talk. I have always thought they are sort of the same.

Unlike standard detectors (where there is a GREAT degree of nuances of strengths and weaknesses of each), 2 box machines are not as much in the same class. They have a much simpler goal. And the PROBLEM with saying one is "more sensitive" (and/or "deeper") is that you start to run into the problem that: To have one be "more sensitive" can start to detract from your purpose. If they become sensitive enough to find an object as small as a silver dollar (and thus, yes, go "deeper") is THE MOMENT you start to have problems with hearing little stuff.

So ironically, "more sensitive" is not the objective or goal of 2-box units. At least in-so-far as their ability to discern large vs small goes.

And I don't know how big that bronze statue at 9 ft. was, but .... if it was just a few feet long, then be aware : A 2 box machine that can admittedly perhaps "go deeper" might start to be very squirrely and hard to control.

If you're utterly convinced there's deep large treasures in your area, then money should be no object. Thus get one of each, and try them each out in the desert sand: Bury a metal tool box at varying depths in soil that is far away from all human influence (to make sure there's no other metal cr*p in the area). The try out each one, to see which gives the target with the most "room to spare" and the least adjacent flutters and false signals (eg. small junk). Throw a domino sized item on the ground and make sure you CAN'T hear it.

With the TM-808, about the smallest target I could hear, was a flattened aluminum can. And since I was strictly looking for jars filled with coins (we eventually found 6 or 7 of them) and since the yard was littered with junk, we actually got to where we purposefully passed all the fist-sized junk.

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info my respected and experienced friends.here is new tm808 with a dealer on 120,000 pkr (1144USD) and i have that ammount in pocket to buy tm808 but was making sure that this detector is what i need.tm808 will ignore small junk like bottle caps,nail,etc and will work smoothly and detect large deep objects is i am right? .and other is tm808 will detect gold silver on same depth like it detect other metals( not taking about single gold or silver single coin i mean toaster sized clay pot full of gold or silver coins) asking because clay pot full of gold coins and buddha and other statues made of gold found in area which is 5km away from our area

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look man I've been hunting with a AT PRO for less then a year and I've killed the silver this year so far. From depths ranging to 2-14 inches. 22 silver dimes five .925 silver 7 silver quarters and 1 Kennedy half. If u want a bad ass machine stick the proven 3030 or at pro or xp deus. And learn the machine. U need a 100 plus hours on a new machine.

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info my respected and experienced friends.here is new tm808 with a dealer on 120,000 pkr (1144USD) and i have that ammount in pocket to buy tm808 but was making sure that this detector is what i need.tm808 will ignore small junk like bottle caps,nail,etc and will work smoothly and detect large deep objects is i am right? .and other is tm808 will detect gold silver on same depth like it detect other metals( not taking about single gold or silver single coin i mean toaster sized clay pot full of gold or silver coins) asking because clay pot full of gold coins and buddha and other statues made of gold found in area which is 5km away from our area

coil2thesoil35 look into my post i want detector which ignore bottle caps,nail,single coin and detect large object deeprr

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
junaidkhank06: For a lunch-box sized object "filled with gold" versus "filled with silver", versus "filled with bronze", will all be detected at the same depths, when using the TM 808. It does not go deeper for one metal versus another.

And .... I hate to be a kill-joy, but .... be prepared that perhaps gold statues, and caches of gold and silver might not be "popping out of the ground" there. What I mean is, that treasure stories are a dime-a-dozen. And sometimes these legends (and stories of supposed finds) are ... uh .... just legends. Or to the extent that , sure, a cache or statue gets found somewhere, doesn't mean that "the landscape is littered with them" .

I have hunted certain countries where treasure legends abound. Everyone is convinced that "certain treasures" await them. If *only* they can go '3 meters deep'. And yes, like your situation, they all have colorful stories of past treasures found. But I discovered that ... when trying to get to the bottom of the past-stories, they turn out to evaporate. Turns out no one ever saw it. But only heard it from a person, who heard it from a person, who heard it from a person, who.... well, you get the picture. And when you dig deeper into the stories of why they think a treasure is in a certain cave or ruin, it's the same thing: telephone game gone awry.

So just be prepared that, treasure stories are easy to believe in (no one wants to be "left out"). I/we hope this isn't the case where you're at. But .... just sayin' .....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
My at pro notches all that out man ! They have several modes to hunt in

Sure, the at pro can knock out small foil, nails, etc...... But try to get it to reject a silver dollar. It doesn't have a a mode to " reject all small stuff". Which is the objective of cache hunting. Saves time to strictly go after large items, if that is your objective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread