Buying used etrac, small crack in housing, need opinions

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auction was on ebay and seller decided not to sell, think he decided to part it out instead. Only had it listed for less than half a day. Thanks anyway though.

Could have been a pretty good deal..here is what was included for 1200. Just sharing because it's interesting.
Etrac with everything included in stock package plus
Minelab carry bag Minelab digging tool Black widow headphones Garrett pinpoint probe extra lower stem little joey coil Platypus coil 15 inch wot coil Pro-tector stem and handle cover

(Original question) Just looking for thoughts about this crack in the housing, it looks small just at the corner but hard to really tell from pic. Do you think a crack like this exposes the internals? Also looking at the screen does it look faded to you? Could just be the pic/lighting but just wanted opinions. Thanks
$_1.jpeg $_3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be picky, but when it comes to electronics I want mine to be crack free; it is not the damage you see, it is how it really got there and the damage you do not see.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've been extremely picky too while looking for one to buy. Only reason I'm considering this one is because price would come to about 600-650 after selling all the extras

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I've been extremely picky too while looking for one to buy. Only reason I'm considering this one is because price would come to about 600-650 after selling all the extras

Mate I would say remain picky. Your buying a tool that can provide a great deal of fun and joy, and never do you want that question in the back of your mind if you missed something. I get your point, but if it was not damaged would you still be getting that same deal.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right. If the seller believes it works correctly then it's hard to say how much more it would cost with no crack. The total is still 1200 with 3 extra coils, pp, and other stuff. For the most part a person takes that risk with any used purchase which is why I'm asking for opinions on how bad that crack is and I asked if anyone thinks the screen might be faded because maybe crack lead to faded screen. Someone that uses an etrac might be able to say whether they think it looks faded or not. It was covered while using and fixing the housing shouldn't be an expensive repair...not saying I'm buying it, but just thought it would be a good idea to get more opinions on the subject

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could contact the Minelab repair folks and get an idea of the price to replace the housing if that's really all it needs. You might be better off buying a new one instead plus you'll get the 3 year warranty. It would have taken a pretty good jolt to do that!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep...stay picky. I've bought four e-tracs off eBay in the past 16 months (1 to keep at my Daughter's house, 1 as a gift for my neighbor who does my mowing n plowing n 2 for regular use). Three of them were virtually new...showed zero signs of use aside from coil scratch/rub marks. The other had 3 small scratches on the battery housing. All were complete n one came with an extra coil n one with a PP, bag n digger.. The most I paid, including shipping, was $905. The least, $765. So the real good bargains are out there. Just be patient...and Good Luck! 😁

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Without giving it any thought, I stored my Etrac in a humid basement, inside a zipped up Garrett bag for a few months. My very pristine and undamaged Etrac had to go to Minelab repair at a bill of $700 to replace the internals. Because it was my fault, it wasn't covered by the warranty.

I'm pretty peculiar about my detectors now. A crack in the case, no can't go there.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's done it doesn't really matter now I guess.

Going forward through I would worry about a crack like that, and the potential of rain that has got into the electronics?

Good luck in your search to find a new used one.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you thank you! Still good and helpful to hear these thoughts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread