was my "friend" helping the cause or just giving false hope

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
was my "friend" helping the cause or just giving false hope

my friend bob and I were out doing a beach when a load of kids were buzzing around asking for a turn of the metal detector bob said he would show them how it was done he would fake a signal then dig whilst dropping in coin in unseen with such skill it gave david blaine a bad name after repeating this serveral times he gave the tall kid first go bingo he hit a ring pull. Then he showed them once again using the above db method. He told the kids all they needed was practice as he unearthed an yet another £1.00 coin the kids ran off shouting to granny they wanted a metal detector was he right to do this he claims that it would encourage them to take up this hobby. I took no part in this underhanded method of metal detecting it was all bob.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: was my "friend" helping the cause or just giving false hope

He spent the time to get them into the hobby - maybe.

Those kids don't know the difference, why not screw with them a little?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They could use something other than video games in their lives to get them outside and use the imagination.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs

Sandman said:
They could use something other than video games in their lives to get them outside and use the imagination.

Amen to that!!!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

You know, all the great treasure hunters were kids at some point. By stoking a smoldering fire, you never know who's life you might touch by being there at the right time to give a little encouragement.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

now ive seen the postive comments I admit it there was no bob had the comments been neg bob would have taken blame

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I was detecting at a high school today with Wingman Tony, his wife, and two kids. Although I rarely hit schools it was refreshing to be out of the "relic fields" and under some shade.

Anyway...

A couple in their early 40s walk by and they have a young boy with them... maybe, um... 8 or 10 years old. We ignored them as they walked around and passed us by.

Son: "Mom... what are those?"

Mom: "Those are metal detectors."

Son: "Can I have one?"

Mom: "No, those belong to those people."

Son: " Mom... I mean, will you buy me one?"

LOL... the seed is planted, and we didn't have to even talk to them... :D

Foose

Apr 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 & Garrett Ace 250

Sandman said:

My kids have become interested in metal detecting with me. I was really glad for exactly what you stated here. Most of the time they would rather sit on the Playstation than to go outside. This way I get them out more than they usually get out. Of course that will all change if they ever invent a metal detecting game for Playstation . . . . hmmmmmm.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

ever see a magician do a simple trick? how many people have become interested in magic after seeing a magician make a coin appear out of somone's ear?

good for him. Now if only I could figure out the same type of trick to fool my kids into eating their vegatables....

steve

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I find that alot of kids get interested and then when they see how much "work" is invloved they decide to go back to there videogames ect....

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Other than the fact the bob is dishonest, its no problem....If ya have to lie, and cheat to get someone to enjoy something its ok, hell for that matter if ya got to crack a few heads to make it a better world go for it..The end is justified by the means...BTW bob is going to go to hell................hahahahahahahahahahahaaha

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing wrong with lying to kids...They've got to learn sometime. ;)

I think I'd rather go to hell with Bob; you meet a better class of person there.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread