1700s club dues paid for 2017! Plus 1800s dues.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I finally made it out to some good ground Sunday. I was passing through an area rich in history and even though it was 90 with a "real feel" of 95 I couldn't resist stopping off to detect. I saw my first opportunity; a husband and wife walking around their front yard. I stopped and asked permission and got a "well, I guess,.." which quickly eroded into a "Well, no" as I got my gear out. Undaunted, I saw another neighbor across the street pull in and I pulled in next to her. She wasn't the owner but said she had the owner on the phone and relayed my question. I got a "sure buddy" third hand which was good enough for me.
I opted to work the edge of a field bordering the house so the yard would remain nice and sprang into action. First dig rang up 38 and I am thinking can. It was a cool brass whatzit probably from a fire poker. Second dig got my 1880 Indian head penny. It rang up a 28 on my Safari (= 78 on AT pro) as they generally do. It was shallow at 3" but the ground was like chipping plaster. Sweat was rolling off my nose into the hole immediately and the sun was chewing the back of my neck. I knew the location was good and kept working the area, which was full of nails indicating there was a structure there at some time and I was glad to have the smaller 11" coil on. I swung slow and steady, picking can slaw off the top to clear the way for my coil. After a few can chunks I got the other Indian about 20' from the first. Both coins had some decent luster and were not too flaky so I had hope I could make some decent finds in decent condition. I got out to where the nails were thinning out and got that nice solid TID 15 (50 ATP) and chipped out the shield Nickel. I was sad to see it was ragged and dateless.
I had started getting dizzy and my shirt had soaked through with sweat. I hit two more pennies which were a Memorial and a half dissolved Zincoln and felt like I zigged when I should have zagged. My heart was pumping hard so I headed back to the car and ran the air and pounded two bottles of water. I felt a little ill and had let myself get too deep into heat exhaustion. I knew I should leave but wanted to make that big find that lets you walk away with a smile on your face. After a 20 minute rest and a back and forth in my head of leaving alive or trying to swing some more and dying of heat stroke I geared up and headed away from the nail bed toward a little chunk of woods on the corner of the property.
I was hitting 38-can bottom, 38-can top, 37-can chunk, . . These big shallow signals are tricky because I used to just assume they were all cans and skip them depending on location but you won't find that coin spill or Morgan unless you dig them, so dutifully dig them I did. I was cutting sloppy holes and worried I'd hit anything good so next "can" I chipped a proper hole. I couldn't find the target and couldn't cut a proper plug in the dry soil so I kept popping the edges deeper and deeper until the nice bright green disc just jumped out. I held it up and immediately knew it was a British KG penny. The back is in decent shape with a nice date. The smile lasted the whole drive home and I am happy to have something decent to post for you all! Imagine being the first person in well over two hundred years to see this coin; to hold in your hand something older than this great country. That's the smile I am talking about! Best luck to all.

Attachments

• IMG4obv.jpg
    IMG4obv.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG4rev.jpg
    IMG4rev.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG1770.jpg
    IMG1770.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds! Great day!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save, Tommyb! I'm sure that pumped some life back into you...looks like a very nice specimen, got any pics of it (carefully) cleaned? Thx for sharing, Ddf

PirateLife

Jun 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to look into getting a CamelBak or other type of hydration pack for those hot days in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread