Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm here in Colorado I do swing in the woods found some interesting stuff never know when you may find an 1800s stash of stolen loot [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
NATION PARKS are forbidden areas

I do alot of detecting in the backwoods

:sadsmiley:

yeah. that really bums me out. I may cancel my kings cyn national park trip now...

that or i swing there anyway...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try everywhere. Here in NY there are few wooded areas that haven't been cleared at least once. That means people. People loose stuff.

Have found some interesting stuff. Some useful. I have 20 ft of 3/8" chain with a hook on each end I use regularly that was a woods find.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Im wondering what the consequences for swinging in a NP are.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be fined and they will confiscate your detector most likely. Always have permission wherever you detect.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

VERY VERY bad idea! The feds do not mess around and will not accept an excuse of "I didn't know". It is definitely NOT worth the risk.
HH
dts

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of mining was done here back in the day. Haven't found anything earth-shattering yet, but I'm sure a bunch of drunken miners managed to lose something.
20150807_150719.jpg

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of Detectors and Vehicles being confiscated from people detecting in National Parks plus stiff fines and possible JAIL Time. Is it worth it?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They shoot ya and if ya survive they shoot ya again.:laughing7:
Actually, a big fine and probably lose you detector.
Marvin

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example from Ft Smith National Historical Site>>

"Metal detecting at Fort Smith National Historic Site is not only illegal, it's a felony.With the growing popularity of metal detecting, and the possibility of discovering treasures, one automatically thinks of exploring historical sites. Think again! Federal law prohibits the possession and use of metal detectors on federal property.In addition to metal detecting, federal law also prohibits relic hunting, digging for artifacts, and removing artifacts or historical objects. These acts are illegal and can lead to confiscation of equipment, arrest, and prosecution as a felony under federal law. Penalties may include fines of up to $10,000 and possible prison time."

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of mining was done here back in the day. Haven't found anything earth-shattering yet, but I'm sure a bunch of drunken miners managed to lose something.
View attachment 1466966
You're in Pocatello" Have you ever run across some bee hive shaped charcoal kilns? I've got some pictures of some that my grandfather shot back in 1949 or 50. If I remember right he said they were mine related.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should be legal to treasure hunt on federal lands, since we pay for them and upkeep.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
It should be legal to treasure hunt on federal lands, since we pay for them and upkeep.

Exactly. I'll leave you with this quote from nietzsche

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.”

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly hunt urban sites, although I wouldn't necessarily call them civilized. :violent1: :pain10: :director::protest::protest::protest: :cussing::help:

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everythings illegal. It seems. Well we don't want any bad press to hurt our hobby. It's already mistakenly looked down upon by many folks. Get permission, stay out of sight, stay in the fringe areas, obey the laws, dig small holes and fill them nicely. National Parks are verboten. State land/parks are subject to rules too; certain areas are detectable or not at all. Like I said, go at predawn, be done by 8-9am in the summer, stay on the fringe areas, roadsides, under/around small bridges, edge of fields, etc. Minelab makes a detector you can fold and put in a backpack. I've been tempted too, often thought of buying a low priced detector, storing it in the woods like a hollow tree or something, wrapped in a heavy contractor plastic bag or something, with small shovel, thus- you come as a hiker and leave as just a hiker taking a walk. Don't use headphones, turn volume down, look at screen? Stealth. Just a thought, don't try this at home kids, this was just my tempting thought.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to research for old home sites, ghost towns, stagecoach stations, etc. I spend a lot of time researching and then going into the backwoods areas where things "used to be." To me, there's a lot of adventure in that and very satisfying when the research pans out. That said, I never would try a NP or any Fed land. Know where you hunt and where you dig and you'll enjoy the hobby a long time!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know how many readers here have ever been to a few of the out-west national parks ...... but it's entirely possible to be 20 miles from the nearest other human being, if you're in the remote hither-sections of some of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread