If silver was copper!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
This may be hard to get your head around this question, but I will give it a shot:

(note: leave gold AND OTHER METALS out of this topic please)

There seems to be this mindset that silver is the thing to find.

Is it the rarity? I dont think so. There are more rare coins out there than a sliver rosie.

The color? Again, I wouldn't think so as there are aluminum coins out there that people dont want.

The durability? Silver coins, come out clean and newish, but that is not always the case. i see beach hunter that have dark gray ugly looking silver coins that hunters love to find.

The value of the metal? When you think about it, a silver dime is like 6 quarters. 6 quarters aren't hard to find.

Age of the coin? Even though here in the USA, 1964(for the most part) is the cut-off date for silver coins. Could it be that maybe they remind people of better times?

So what is it? Is it a combination of those factors?

I can make a case for copper coins matching just about every category that a silver coin has.

Now, try this on for size. What if, copper was in silvers place. Copper dimes and quarters. Copper is more rare than silver. Copper comes out of the ground shiny(for the most part) like silver does. Would hunters be asking, "How many coppers you find?" instead of how many silvers?

If silver pennies were common and all over the place, would they be all dug up?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed the boat on all counts, it's the sense of accomplishment one gets in finding just about any coin that's no longer in production or is worth more than its face value. Finding being the key word, it's all about the hunt. Wheat cents, indian head cents, buffalo nickles etc are just as fun to find. The main difference is all silvers have a higher scrap value even if they aren't key dates or in mint condition. Even if you don't plan to sell them silver is always an asset.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed the boat on all counts, it's the sense of accomplishment one gets in finding just about any coin that's no longer in production or is worth more than its face value. Finding being the key word, it's all about the hunt. Wheat cents, indian head cents, buffalo nickles etc are just as fun to find. The main difference is all silvers have a higher scrap value even if they aren't key dates or in mint condition. Even if you don't plan to sell them silver is always an asset.

bingo^

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

A copper penny falls into that category.

Also, I am asking what if the roles were reversed? If a copper colored coin had all the traits of a silver colored coin. Trade all the properties of each except the physical characteristics.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be happy digging any copper coins that had the value of silver ones.

Either are worth only what humans assign to them. We don't need silver in our diet, though we do need some copper; so silver has no real nutritive value. Anything else is just what it is worth in trade or exchange.

200 years ago aluminum was worth more than platinum. Hang onto your copper and maybe the world will shift to meet you.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I'd be happy digging any copper coins that had the value of silver ones.

Either are worth only what humans assign to them. We don't need silver in our diet, though we do need some copper; so silver has no real nutritive value. Anything else is just what it is worth in trade or exchange.

200 years ago aluminum was worth more than platinum. Hang onto your copper and maybe the world will shift to meet you.

So you are saying it's purely the value of the metal.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. The design and date have a significance; but a rock is FAR older and a flower far prettier.

It's like catch and release fishing. Part of the attraction of detecting coins is the challenge of finding them. In our local soil silver holds up better than copper (which takes on a dull red/umber appearance).

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scarcity is a big factor. The coins that I rarely or never find seem to be the most desirable. There is just something about silver though, that gets me up and out early in the morning.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took me 4.5 months to fine my first silver coin, a 1923 Merc, in perfect condition. Seeing the merc , so shiney, in the hole was a moment I won't soon forget. A very wow wow moment.

While I have found 3 silver rings and a silver bracelet this year, the silver coin is what got my attention.

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say that I'd much, much rather dig Colonial Coppers and Large Cents all day than Barbers, Mercs, or Rosies. Really any late 1800s or 1900s coin for me is far more boring than something early 1800s or 1700s. Finding 1700s silver would be cool, but I can also get down to just finding coppers. I've had some SERIOUS profit from those coppers - more than the 1700s silver I've found actually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread