Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have been researching myself. The Minlab excal appears to be top notch, however has a nice price tag. The Whites Beach hunter and Tesoro Tiger shark appear to be good machines that are a little easier on the wallet.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best is of course the Excal at about $1,095.00. It doesn't disc. Iron, it ignores it. The regular VLF's from Whites, Tesoro and Fisher will do the job too, but not as well in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, they are good detectors but will null on iron. A gold ring near the iron won't make the detector respond. Excal's will report on a gold ring under a railroad spike. If you don't believe me, try it.

As for deep, you can take it down to 200 foot. Deeper than I dive with it.

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Mr. Sandman, what detector do you recommend for under water, gold dredging application. Thanks, RuffandTuff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold finding underwater for tiny targets like nuggets is different than just wading a beach looking for coins and jewelry. The Tesoro Tiger Shark had a higher level of sensitivity built in and I have found some tiny items with it. The Excal will report on gold earring backs too, but the Tiger will find thin gold chains easier. For gold dredging I would use the Tiger Shark with the smallest coil they have for it.

Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread