My favorite Clad Cleaning Recipe with Rock Tumblr

nebu

Greenie
Apr 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years I've been trying different recipes for cleaning coins and I finally found one I liked. Dawn Soap (common) + Lemon Juice + Sand (beach or aquarium) and a few Aquarum rocks.

I made a video showing my process. The only thing I don't know is how long to run them. Sometimes I run them over night and it's still not good enough. It seems like running in 2 hour blocks then refreshing is about the best plan.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha that video is awesome.

Soooo..and this is just me. But I used to create all these different things to clean up my clad, did the aquarium gravel with soap, then used dish dertergent...but after doing that for a couple years. I did it with just water and baking soda ( no aquarium rocks) and they came out just perfect!, I started added a few drops of oil to keep the seals lubed, but if you are just trying to clean it good to make it thru the machines, Plain old water and even dirt would polish them up.

Takes seconds to rinse....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, way too anal for me. I get them so they'll pass through a Coinstar and that's it. Picking each coin out by hand doesn't work for me either. Too labor intensive. I have a big two-drum tumbler and do hundreds of coins at a time. I fill the drums about 1/2 full of coins, add powdered laundry detergent, vinegar, and aquarium gravel. Most of my beach zincs already have enough sand still on them! Shake and burp the drum many times before tumbling to keep them from popping open due the the chemical reaction inside. After a few hours, I filter the coins out by dumping them through my sand scoop. I do this over a big bucket or drain pan so I can reuse the gravel. Run some fresh water over everything and the coins are ready to dump onto a big towel to dry. The gravel gets rinsed too and reused in the next batch. The coins get run through the Coinstar for gift cards at 100% value. The ones that end up in the reject bin get rerun a few times, The ones that it just won't take get spent at a store. The partial coins (like a lot of the beach zincs) get replaced by a member of our club and donated to charity......Ronald McDonald House.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread