Beach detecting help

cinematick

Jul 4, 2012
I recently moved to Florida and it seems detecting on the beach is a bit more tricker then I thought. I have a Garrett AT pro and when I detect by the water my detector always goes off. When I dig about 8-10 inches down I get to... surprise surprise, the water. What am I doing wrong and what settings should I use?

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower the sensitivity down to a point you can still hunt without too many false signals or move to drier sand. Every beach is different.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Pa. Also might want to try manually ground balancing. It should be more stable in the dry sand. Good luck !

OP
OP
cinematick

cinematick

Jul 4, 2012
Agree with Pa. Also might want to try manually ground balancing. It should be more stable in the dry sand. Good luck !
Thank you, I understand the dry sands are easier, but I find more by the water. That's why I was asking for help in that area. I will try the manual ground balancing.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert by a long shot, more of a noob. I also am not in a position to upgrade to a PI machine for beach hunting, so I'm stuck with my AT Pro. My advice is to either hunt the dry sand or get into the water. Hunting that section of the saltwater beach where the water is just a few inches under the surface, even as deep as 8" is going to give you constant false hits at the water table... very annoying. If you have to hunt that strip in between, turn the sensitivity WAY down and hope for something relatively close to the surface. Good luck.
HH
dts

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP and salt water is not the ideal combination. That machine is not made to hunt salt water

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give me a recommendation on a good detector for that type of area?

You need a multifreq detector or pulse detector to work our salt beaches. Best salt water detector for Florida beaches is the Minelab Excalibur or Minelab CTX 3030.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excalibur would be considered a water machine. It would be a good compliment to the ATP which is a good machine on land or fresh water. The CTX handles both.

By the time you are done buying an excal you might as well sell off the ATP and use the $ along with the excal to buy a ctx with warranty left. Be prepared for a learning curve though.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just making sure I understand you correctly...you recommend I should just save and get the CtX and there will be no need for the other 2?

I own all three, ATP, Excal, and recently bought the CTX. I have years on the first 2 machines and couple months on the CTX. The excal is far easier to learn vs the CTX. The CTX offers more versatility (beach & dirt) vs the excal. I guess to answer your question, it depends on what type of hunting you are going to do and if money is no object. I hunt primarily the beaches and money isn't an issue for me (thanks to the excal finds lol).

If you have budget concerns, keep the ATP as it's an awesome dry sand and dirt machine. No question. Save $1000 vs the CTX and get the excal and use it on the beach. With the 17 in coil, you'll need a harness to help with the weight and they are not cheap. Excal is much lighter.

Hope this helps.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give me a recommendation on a good detector for that type of area?

Are you actually going into the water? If you just want to hunt the wet sand, a Minelab Sovereign, Explorer, or Safari would work well. Also a used Whites DFX, or Fischer CZ series would be a fairly cheap option. If you are going into the water, then look at the options mentioned, as well as a CZ-20/21.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just making sure I understand you correctly...you recommend I should just save and get the CtX and there will be no need for the other 2?

Unless you plan on going deeper than 10' in the water, that is correct. The only downside the having just the CTX is not having a backup machine in case it needs to go in for repairs.

Corey Shadler

Greenie
Jul 25, 2017
Milford Pa
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold / Garret AT Pro / Garret AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem in Cape Cod with my At Pro. Very frustrating. I had to lower my sensitivity and manually ground balance until the noise was gone. I think I'm going to save up for a duel frequency machine for salt water beach hunting for my next vacation there. Good Luck.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will spend 1000 or so on a used excal, more if new. Your ATP probably brings 450 or so used. You can buy a used CTX with a couple years of warranty for 1500 to 1600.

The ATP is salt water only goes maybe 5" deep (in Myrtle Beach anyways). If you are hunting the beach you do not want to restrict yourself to just one sand condition. The ctx automatically adjusts for differing conditions and will allow you to move from dry to high tide wet to surf easily. Buy the 17" coil and it is a killer setup. Many hunters now use the ctx as primary and the excal as backup or if they are going diving. As far as the 17" coil weighing too much a 29 dollar detecting buddy takes care of that nicely. You do not need the Minelab harness.

I sold off my ATP when I went over a spot in wet sand with no signal and another detectorist went over it, stopped and dug a gold toe ring at 11". A single frequency machine is not designed for salt water environments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions