Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own the ATP and the F75 I'm wondering how much learning curve will it be if I get a Deus? Not sure if I should get the AT Max because I heard it would just be a half inch difference in depth and I heard the Deus kills deep silver. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had an F75 already and an AT Pro, I would not have bothered upgrading the AT Pro as it would only serve as a backup to the F75 or for the occasional dip in the creek. Though a worthy upgrade to the Pro if the Pro was my only detector (I would keep the Pro as a backup) the AT Max would still serve the same exact role so I don't gain anything but a lighter wallet. Agree with the previous advice to stick with a machine until it becomes an extension of your brain such that you are not focusing on the machine but instead on the targets as "visualized" by what the machine is telling you. In this scenario, that would be the F75. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its not about tweaking its about performance. I understand what the guys are saying but let me say this about the deus. All the learning comes up front and once you learn it ,you MIGHT tweak it here or there as site dictates. I cut my machine on and hunt with my relic program 98% of the time. I do change freq sometimes but its not because of uncertainty its because I know 17 kh will hit smaller targets better and 7,8 with hit higher conductive better. I hunt mainly in 7 kh. I understand guys not wanting to learn a new machine as it takes time. As I said its about performance for me. I spend alot of time researching and want the best performance I can get that might give me a edge over the competition. Im gonna try and get the max when it comes out and yes im gonna compare it to the deus and see how it stacks up performance wise. I know I know it s only 850.00 bucks.

Last edited:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had an F75 already and an AT Pro, I would not have bothered upgrading the AT Pro as it would only serve as a backup to the F75 or for the occasional dip in the creek. Though a worthy upgrade to the Pro if the Pro was my only detector (I would keep the Pro as a backup) the AT Max would still serve the same exact role so I don't gain anything but a lighter wallet. Agree with the previous advice to stick with a machine until it becomes an extension of your brain such that you are not focusing on the machine but instead on the targets as "visualized" by what the machine is telling you. In this scenario, that would be the F75. Just my two cents.
I would say that the Max is an upgrade from the AT Pro. From what I've read the max is better than the Gold with some better features. What separates F75 from the Max in terms of performance. I mean my pro hit a Mercury 6 inches deep with a shell casing right next to it....5x8 coil with strength down a notch or two....it actually gave me both sounds but gave me a straight 82 for the merc. Consistent number....I'm not saying the Pro is better or worse cause I am not that knowledgeable and I've read a little on the f75....the deus is pretty high priced and my thinking is the ctx is probably better than the Deus. I am curious on the F75 and will do some more reading. Again, respect the input on this thread

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

G-Dog

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75 ltd, AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, Whites Eagle 2, (2)Whites 6000 D 2, Compass RM7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch Calabash Diggers videos, they worked for me, I had put the deus up twice before that. G-Dog

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that the Max is an upgrade from the AT Pro. From what I've read the max is better than the Gold with some better features. What separates F75 from the Max in terms of performance. I mean my pro hit a Mercury 6 inches deep with a shell casing right next to it....5x8 coil with strength down a notch or two....it actually gave me both sounds but gave me a straight 82 for the merc. Consistent number....I'm not saying the Pro is better or worse cause I am not that knowledgeable and I've read a little on the f75....the deus is pretty high priced and my thinking is the ctx is probably better than the Deus. I am curious on the F75 and will do some more reading. Again, respect the input on this thread

The AT Max basically fixes a number (but not all) of the various shortcomings associated with the AT Pro but does not significantly up performance. You are going to pay for some additional bells and whistles like wireless headphones, but that does not improve your ability to find targets in the ground. Glad I would now be able to actually read the display and there are a few improvements in all metal capability. My point is if you already owned the F75 AND an AT Pro, it would not be worth it to upgrade because your primary detector would likely/should be the F75. The AT Max brings the AT Pro series closer to the F75 but doesn't necessarily eclipse it from a performance standpoint in my opinion, for which the Garrett loyalists (I am not a brand loyalist if you can figure out from my profile) will no doubt skewer me. Yes the AT Max is Garrett playing catchup to the F75 from an ergonomics and performance standpoint. The F75 layout is less busy than Garrett layout, with intuitive navigation provided by a single scroll nob and selection button. Ground grab and pinpointing toggle trigger finish a great package not to mention the great selection of affordable OEM and third party DD and concentric/coaxial coils. The F75 is well balanced such that even at a comparable total weight to the AT Pro/Max the distribution puts less stress on your swing arm than the Garrett. The only advantage of the AT Pro/Max is the water tight design which I personally would seldom use. I predict the AT Max will overtake the AT Pro as the go to mid-to-high level workhorse machine for the majority of the MD hobbiests out there. It will be a winner for Garrett, no doubt unless there is some yet to be discovered flaw like the performance and manufacturing flaws suffered during the rollout of the Whites MX Sport. The problems were handled awkwardly by Whites which dented Whites' credibility and reputation. Based on the likely wide adoption rate of the AT Max, that could be very detrimental to Garrett if they encountered the same fate. They are really trying to real world test the crap out of the Max while really upping the hype machine with the You Tube detector celebs and their surrogates on the various forums (you know who you are) so we'll see how it turns out. A friend of mine who is going to a Virgina relic hunt with me in October has pre-ordered a Max. Hopefully it will get here in time so we can put it through its paces in some nasty dirt with deep relics to see how it does vs. the Pro (and the F75 and Deus for that matter which will also both make the trip).

Regarding DEUS and CTX 3030 - two different animals completely. First of all, CTX 3030 - great multifrequency detector that enables very accurate target identification both from a conductivity standpoint and ferrous/non-ferrous standpoint and good performance in mineralized soil and salt beach hunting. Waterproof and rugged. Again some non-performance enhancing bells and whistles such as GPS and wireless headphones. The price you pay for this is a heavy beast that has very slow recovery speed vs. the Deus which makes it less of a performer in high trash density, especially high iron density sites from a target separation standpoint. The Deus is a faster machine (better target separation) with the ability to operate at low and very high frequencies that make it a high and mid-conductor (i.e., silver and gold) monster under various conditions. The Deus is more of a tone machine vs. the CTX which is more of a visual ID machine. I don't think it is fair to compare the two against each other in the sense of trying to figure out which one is better than the other. That is like comparing your #1 wide receiver against your #1 running back. It is more like they compliment each other where each one stands out in performance vs. the other under certain conditions as I have touched on above. Depending on what types of detecting you do and how insane you are in terms of mental capacity and disposable income, it might make sense to own both. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Max basically fixes a number (but not all) of the various shortcomings associated with the AT Pro but does not significantly up performance. You are going to pay for some additional bells and whistles like wireless headphones, but that does not improve your ability to find targets in the ground. Glad I would now be able to actually read the display and there are a few improvements in all metal capability. But this is just playing catchup to the F75 from an ergonomics and performance standpoint. The F75 layout is less busy than Garrett layout, with intuitive navigation provided by a single scroll nob and selection button. Ground grab and pinpointing toggle trigger finish a great package not to mention the great selection of affordable OEM and third party DD and concentric/coaxial coils. The F75 is well balanced such that even at a comparable total weight to the AT Pro/Max the distribution puts less stress on your swing arm than the Garrett. The only advantage of the AT Pro/Max is the water tight design which I personally would seldom use.

Regarding DEUS and CTX 3030 - two different animals completely. First of all, CTX 3030 - great multifrequency detector that enables very accurate target identification both from a conductivity standpoint and ferrous/non-ferrous standpoint and good performance in mineralized soil and salt beach hunting. Waterproof and rugged. Again some non-performance enhancing bells and whistles such as GPS and wireless headphones. The price you pay for this is a heavy beast that has very slow recovery speed vs. the Deus which makes it less of a performer in high trash density, especially high iron density sites from a target separation standpoint. The Deus is a faster machine (better target separation) with the ability to operate at low and very high frequencies that make it a high and mid-conductor (i.e., silver and gold) monster under various conditions. The Deus is more of a tone machine vs. the CTX which is more of a visual ID machine. I don't think it is fair to compare the two against each other in the sense of trying to figure out which one is better than the other. That is like comparing your #1 wide receiver against your #1 running back. It is more like they compliment each other where each one stands out in performance vs. the other under certain conditions as I have touched on above. Depending on what types of detecting you do and how insane you are in terms of metal capacity and disposable income, it might make sense to own both. Hope that helps.
I love the old home steads....old coins and relics are what I am enjoying. AT Pro does OK here but it will send you chasing after some serious nails and with solid high tones. (I'm sure a lot of detectors will.) How does the F75 handle in these sites? Improvement on the AT Pro?
Thanks again and your post was very helpful.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75 has an excellent discrimination circuit (not that the AT Pro doesn't) but you can trade off depth and recovery speed with some specific program settings that you really can't do with the AT Pro. Depending on what is going on at the site with respect to ferrous targets and the depth of the "keeper" targets, this may enable you to better filter out those nails. If you are adept at using the ALL METAL mode on the F75 that would be another way to go but you would be relying some audible cues but mostly the TID on the display for either machine. I have more swing time with the Deus and run it wide open (i.e., with min discrimination) this allows me to hear the iron but it also has a full range of tones (32 across the spectrum of target ID's). The tone pitch, volume, and edge distortion all help paint a picture of the possible target in my head and that is what allows me to dance around nails. Now round iron is going to sound sweet in all these machines, but I am starting to learn how to use the Deus silencer circuit and higher frequency coils to keep the sweet sounding junk at bay. As far as the F75 is concerned, if round junk targets are an issue (e.g., rusted bottle caps), then switching to a coaxial coil tends to solve that problem. HTH.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of really good post here, good infro. & good thoughts. Do I REALLY? need another detector?, No. If I were to buy one though, I know it would be my last, right now I use two, the AT Pro and the minelab safari, others I still have are now in "retirement". I should be good, but for my 65th birthday, I would like a new toy, and what I'm looking at now is the Noketa ? "Impact", the 3 freq's etc. good pre-set programs, and all the "tweaking" you want, IF you want to. Bottom line is we have to make the choice for ourselves, but I do enjoy and learn a lot from the post here, you fella's know your stuff, and are always willing to share. Good choices all.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously considered the Impact. Good features and from what I can tell from user reports, good performance. Only knock I've heard so far is is weight and balance. The other thing to be aware of is that only Kellyco is contracted in the USA for warranty repairs. That's fine unless their repair techs are inundated with other brand repairs such as minelab. XP suffers from the same problem, only one authorized USA repair center.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impact like to eat up batteries too, I seen the specs and thought man that drains them fast. I haven't heard of no horror stories with the deus repair center like kellyco . It can take months to get your machine from kellyco if you have to send in for repairs......

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of really good post here, good infro. & good thoughts. Do I REALLY? need another detector?, No. If I were to buy one though, I know it would be my last, right now I use two, the AT Pro and the minelab safari, others I still have are now in "retirement". I should be good, but for my 65th birthday, I would like a new toy, and what I'm looking at now is the Noketa ? "Impact", the 3 freq's etc. good pre-set programs, and all the "tweaking" you want, IF you want to. Bottom line is we have to make the choice for ourselves, but I do enjoy and learn a lot from the post here, you fella's know your stuff, and are always willing to share. Good choices all.
I agree...people are really awesome and this is a great thread. Extremely informatjve. Thanks all

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Finally getting my 1st VLF machine after using a minelab 5000 series for 5 years or so!!! XP Deus all the way with HF elliptical coil!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread