Is a Garrett Ace 250 a good starter MD ?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
The best in my opinion!

You should be able to get it for around $189 on eBay including shipping.

Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi VERMONTPACKRAT,

I have one and highly recommend it for a starter unit. I use it all the time for hunting the parks and other areas where I want to knock out the iron and other junk readings.

Jack

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
How important are the headphones? Prices range from $212.00 without headphones or $245 with a "kit" diggers, pouch, headphones. Should I buy the $212.00 and a little better quality headphones?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fry electronics 200 dollars, but ya dont have to wait, and no shipping, I got mine for 160 there....

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the inexpensive headphones that came in the "package" and have been happy with them. Remember, you're not listening to Beethoven, they just need to be good enough that you can here even some small sounds. Having their own volume on them is a good feature. They should be big enough to cover most if not all of your ear.

I have the ones in the center that I use on the ACE 250 in the link below.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/headphones.htm

My PI Pro has them built in, since they are waterproof.

I find that if you don't get headphones, kids and other people will crowd around when a beep goes off. Sometimes that can be amusing, most of the time it is very annoying, not to mention dangerous. There has been more than one occasion where a MDer has pulled up a piece of jewelry and had it taken from them.

At least the headphones keep things private. Plus, most people will get annoyed at listening to beeps and bonks from a MDer while they are trying to have fun at a park or beach.

Jack

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you have to pay shipping, you have to wait to get it, and if there is a problem, you have to send it back...At fry's no wait, it is in the store, no shipping, and if it breaks take it right back, and it is replaced then, and there....Thats worth a few bucks to me....No I dont work there either...Tom

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
I dont have anywhere near buy to purchase a Garrett MD. I could have bought a Whites but I think the Garrett is what I want.
Bought one on ebay today, $ 212.45 Free shipping. I have this week off from work,I dont go back untill Tuesday.
Maybe I will get lucky and get it in time for a days worth of hunting.
My fingers are crossed.............

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sure, if you are hunting where there are few people detecting but in the real world.........Back in the early 60's with my improvised water machine a bad day was 10-15 gold rings and a pouch full of silver coins but that is because no one had ever hit the ponds and lakes before.. Now it is pretty much put and take. Excal ar 10-12 inches yesterday

Attachments

• ring 2.jpg
    ring 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 167
  • ring 2.jpg
    ring 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 158

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Entry level, low end, beginners machine my ass ! Watch the video and see the truth.http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101006.0.html

I have a 250, while it is a fine little machine, it is an entry level cheap in price machine...Nothing more...It does not have the depth, or power to do any heavy duty work...I have owned quite a lot of machines over the years, and as soon as money allows the Ace will be a backup unit......

That said, it is one of the best detectors around for 200 dollars, and it can compete with detectors costing 100 dollars more, but not easily...If you have one, do not fool yourself into thinking it is a great detector, because it is not......Tom

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
I have had my 250 now for a few weeks. Relic hunting, coins, buttons, bullets, etc, etc.
I did purchase the sniper coil also, no regrets. I got a little frustrated at first but I stuck with it. Not knowing what I am missing in A "better" machine, I am very happy with the ACE. I dont have much competition where I hunt. Mostly cellar holes old homes. Not many parks and such arround. I have not done anything at the local schools as I am interested in the old "junk" that you commonly find in and arround the cellar holes.
Also I am happy with the PP on my ace. It too took some practice but I am happy with it.
I would like to buy a MD that will reach a little deeper but for the next year or two I am happy with hunting the top 6"
No regrets, VPR

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i did quite well with my 250 before my brother got it. it gets ok depth and is nice and light. yeah, its not a top of the line model, but for $200 its pretty damn good.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sniper coil helps alot...I found a 1919, and 1940 Wheat yesterday, in the same place I found a 1918, and 1932....Have found silver with it...BUT it is at the very edge of its depth where I am at now....Like I said for the price it is nice, but it is lacking in power....Tom

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
My dealer sells them for 212.00. I believe it is the best 200.00 detector out there, and yes, get headphones. There are times you do not want attention like when you are pulling your Lesche out in a park with it's serrated edge to dig something.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best for the price for sure. I would buy it, you won't be sorry.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
The best for the price for sure. I would buy it, you won't be sorry.

Like I said fryes is 200 even...Yes the headphones help in a noisy enviroment for sure......You will love the Ace 250....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread