Knee Pads?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never tried kneeling on my wie knee while detecting.... thanks for the tip.

chub

talk about swinging the detector....

all kidding aside, that is why the trades use, and many are required to have them...I found the best are the ones for drywallers are all stretch fit with velcro, and have the hard knee cup built in.

These are about $40.

LFTKAX0K-2T.jpg

invest in good ones, far better than the downstream/long term costs...

it is just good practice, and when you get older, you will thank all of us for this advice.

"always protect your knees"

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No pads. Too much movement and uncomfortable. Hmm. I have been thinking of taking a pair of jeans and having pads sewn on in the right places. ╦╦Ç

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 53 and have never worn knee pads. I squat to dig, as opposed to lean forward and put a knee down. If you are thin and limber, give it a try.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, forget sewing them on, just get these on ebay!

Hilbilly-Medium-Skating-Butt-Pads-L11303656.jpg

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you that say they ride up or down try athletic knee pads. That's what I use and they stay in place. Also no straps to adjust or cut into your leg.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I bought some Dickies painters pants with knee pad pockets. Made my own closed cell foam pads and have loved them ever since. This year for a Cobalt trip I bought some Helly Hensen pants. Heavier fabric, outside pouch pockets for tools and finds, thigh pocket that's just perfect for small plug cutter AND the Garrett carrot. They look dorkey but out here who cares? They work great with the recommended pads. Bang down on the ground with either style and they're right where they need to be, no riding up or down, and nothing binding around my knees. So worthwhile!

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wear knee pads. Yes they can kinda "ride" up or down your leg and need periodic adjustment. But.....you'll feel SO much better after a long days hunt having wore them.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
28 and wear them. At work and in the field.
Caught the extreme sports bug when i was a kid.
Kinda regret that now...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
28 and wear them. At work and in the field.
Caught the extreme sports bug when i was a kid.
Kinda regret that now...

I'm 71, and have been wearing pads since I was a teen. Even as a young caver, I quickly realized I needed protection
from those MEAN lava tube caves! Momma didn't raise no dummy...! Five decades later, I shifted gears into a different hobby, detecting.
I'm still in the ground and still on my knees...!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had them in my bag for 4 years, never used them......................I have lots of jeans with the left knee ripped out

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started out without anything... knees, back and ankles hurt after hours of swinging.
Tried a kneeling pad, was OK but it's another thing to carry in your hand so I got some knee pads.
Love the knee pads. First thing I put on when gearing up. Work great with shorts or pants.
Can do one knee when it's a quick plug or both knees when it's a bigger/deeper hole. Keeps the dirt and mud off your pants.
Wouldn't dig without them. They were about $20 and have Breathable Neoprene Straps so they don't stick during the hot weather.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started out without anything... knees, back and ankles hurt after hours of swinging.
Tried a kneeling pad, was OK but it's another thing to carry in your hand so I got some knee pads.
Love the knee pads. First thing I put on when gearing up. Work great with shorts or pants.
Can do one knee when it's a quick plug or both knees when it's a bigger/deeper hole. Keeps the dirt and mud off your pants.
Wouldn't dig without them. They were about $20 and have Breathable Neoprene Straps so they don't stick during the hot weather.

Same with me! My jeans ended up with non-removeable pitch/tree sap, that looks black on faded jeans...! A fast-learner - come from The School of Hard Knocks...! :laughing7:
I started using my old retired kneepads in my new hobby.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All joking aside (hollywoods) They make knee pads for a reason. They work

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Almost 60 been a floor layer plumber electrician a wildcrafter and many other things and have yet to wear any type of knee pads elbow pad or anything else except ever so often a wrist brace my moto no pain no gain and if a feel better when it stops hurting guess I am just old old school lol happy hunting due to work I have not had time to swing so you guys keep me going with your finds

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started out I was ok for a bit, but then started to get a lot of pain in my knee that I bent down on. I tried every type of commercial kneepad out there, either too heavy and slid down or just not comfortable for one reason or another. One day I was at a local thrift store and saw a pair of rollerblade brand kneepads, the type kids use for skateboarding and such, they were $4.00 so I said what the heck. I am telling you these are the best kneepads out there, super light, never fall down even after 8+ hours of detecting. The first pair lasted me over 2 years and since then I have bought 3 extra pairs at the same store for between 3 to 4$ a pair. They do come in different sizes I use either large or XL. Knee problems gone.

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 115

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started out I was ok for a bit, but then started to get a lot of pain in my knee that I bent down on. I tried every type of commercial kneepad out there, either too heavy and slid down or just not comfortable for one reason or another. One day I was at a local thrift store and saw a pair of rollerblade brand kneepads, the type kids use for skateboarding and such, they were $4.00 so I said what the heck. I am telling you these are the best kneepads out there, super light, never fall down even after 8+ hours of detecting. The first pair lasted me over 2 years and since then I have bought 3 extra pairs at the same store for between 3 to 4$ a pair. They do come in different sizes I use either large or XL. Knee problems gone.

Serious pads!
What is the hard shell made of?
and, What is the Brand of the pads?
thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread