Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Need some help fellas

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting

Need some help fellas

I've researched some abandoned houses in the woods in my town. On Historical Aerial Maps and it only goes back to 1935. So I when I went looking for it, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I did see some 200 year old Oak trees in the area, but I'm trying to pinpoint exactly where the house would be, GPS? Now I don't know how to map overlay. So is there any trick to estimate the distance from the street to the house?
    DigIron2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779 Montour Falls N.Y.
    XP Deus,T2 Ltd2,Nokta Relic Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    3097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Run your detector through the woods and try to find the iron patch .
    Gary
    DigIron2, Mzjavert, 4x4x4 and 4 others like this.
    I`v been detecting for 48 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

us
    Jul 2013
    OC, Calif
    Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
    390 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you can find the area on google earth, it will allow you to measure from point to point
    P-Digger, Mzjavert and Truth1253 like this.

us
    Joe

Jan 2014
    Virginia
    Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
    2892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G.A.P.metal View Post
    Run your detector through the woods and try to find the iron patch .
    Gary
    Sometimes the best way is boots on the ground. GL
    Mzjavert and P-Digger like this.
    When I am not finding. It helps me to more appreciate the stuff I have found.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2465 times
    Historic aerials website allows you to slide a 1935 map over a modern map. Give it a try.
    Mzjavert, P-Digger and verbious like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Elizabeth, PA
    Fisher F75 SE Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
    514 times
    Metal Detecting
    historic aerials allows you to "measure distance" on the left side at the bottom. Pull up the 1935 image, find the house on the image, click "Create new measurement". Move your cursor over to the house pick a very precise point, like one of the corners and then click to drop the little green circle. Look to the left and you will see that is now says " Last point and it gives you some coordinates. Highlight the coordinates that are in a line: 47.766316 / -91.186661 Remove the / and put a , like this:
    47.766316, -91.186661 Copy and paste into Google Maps and then send it to your phone or save it as a favorite place. Navigate your way to the exact spot that you plot on Historic Aerials.

I should ask if you are using a computer? It's WAY easier on a computer.
    Last edited by verbious; Sep 06, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Kace, Mzjavert, dsdigger and 2 others like this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    If you can find the area on google earth, it will allow you to measure from point to point
    Thanks Tommy I think I know what you talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mzjavert likes this.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by verbious View Post
    historic aerials allows you to "measure distance" on the left side at the bottom. Pull up the 1935 image, find the house on the map, click "Create new measurement". Move your cursor over to the house pick a very precise point, like one of the corners and then click to drop the little green circle. Look to the left and you will see that is now says " Last point and it gives you some coordinates. Highlight the coordinates that are in a line: 47.766316 / -91.186661 Remove the / and put a , like this:
    47.766316, -91.186661 Copy and paste this into Google Maps and then send it to your phone or save it as a favorite place. Navigate your way to the exact spot that you plot on Historic Aerials.
    Pure genius! Thanks verbious

Mzjavert likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Elizabeth, PA
    514 times
    Metal Detecting
    No problem!!! I hope the technique works for you. I spent a good bit of time with maps and images in the Army. Who knew it would come in so handy for metal detecting? I've found that plotting 4 corners of a building works really well for getting an estimate of the shape. You can also measure the length and width of a structure then plot it center mass and make notes about the measurements. Once you get boots on the ground you can get the overlay the aerial image in your mind with the actual terrain and make small adjustments. I have dozens of points that I've found on historic aerials and have land navigated my way to.
    dsdigger, RustyGold, Kace and 2 others like this.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting
    No problem!!! I hope the technique works for you. I spent a good bit of time with maps and images in the Army. Who knew it would come in so handy for metal detecting? I've found that plotting 4 corners of a building works really well for getting an estimate of the shape. You can also measure the length and width of a structure then plot it center mass and make notes about the measurements. Once you get boots on the ground you can get the overlay the aerial image in your mind with the actual terrain and make small adjustments. I have dozens of points that I've found on historic aerials and have land navigated my way to.
    I wish my Parish maps went back to the 1800's

Mzjavert likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Elizabeth, PA
    514 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've managed to find some online maps of the areas that I've detected from 1851. They are probably the very best resource out there! Is there a historical society in your area? What about the county courthouse?
    Truth1253 and Mzjavert like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2465 times
    Historic aerials has a feature that allows you to slide the old and new maps over each other....it is called overlay or slide....something like that.
    Truth1253, verbious and Mzjavert like this.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've managed to find some online maps of the areas that I've detected from 1851. They are probably the very best resource out there! Is there a historical society in your area? What about the county courthouse?
    They have a courthouse. The library didn't have plat maps. What do I ask for at the courthouse? What dept? Where did you get the online?

Mzjavert likes this.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3735 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    Historic aerials has a feature that allows you to slide the old and new maps over each other....it is called overlay or slide....something like that.
    Yeah I do that villagenut. I just wish it went back pasted 1935.

villagenut and Mzjavert like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    2465 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    Yeah I do that villagenut. I just wish it went back pasted 1935.

Yea, same here
    Mzjavert likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links