Screwdrivers Only, No Digging!

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am looking for any comments or advice you can give a newby detectorist/coin popper. I have had an ACE 250 for a few months now. I have had it out a dozen or so times, usually to parks or schools. I am starting to get the hang of how it works, i.e. the ding ding of a for sure coin hit, steady indication on visual display are always gonna get dug. I do dig the pulltab range which is aggravating to say the least, but I would really like to find a nice silver or even God willing a gold ring. I have only found the usual clad and trinkets so far, but I’m not as concerned about what I’m finding as I am about my method of retrieval. Schools and parks in boise don’t allow digging, but they do allow the use of screwdrivers for probing and popping out coins

I have been attempting the screwdriver method with varied and sometimes limited success. I don’t have a pinpointer and have no plans of getting one soon. I usually pinpoint with the Ace until I narrow down the area to a couple of inches or so, sometimes better, then start probing with the screwdriver vertically, stabbing a hole every ¾ of an inch or so trying to feel the coin. If I hit the coin with the probe all is good, but sometimes I just can’t find the coin that way. I then usually just wallow out a hole and start digging around with my fingers/the probe etc. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned limited success aspect. Sometimes I just can’t find the dang coin and end up giving up, especially if it reads as being 4+ inches deep on the detector. The deeper ones especially are frustrating and usually fruitless. Should I accept that as a result of not getting a pinpointer? Any advice or comments on how to find stuff without a big hole or a pinpointer would be appreciated greatly.

Upvote 0

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
zlathim said:
Sandman & Vermont- Too be honest with you, I have cheated a few times and cut a plug with my knife. I carry a scrap of canvas about 8" x 8" to lay the plug and dirt on. I feel kinda bad breaking the rules though

Sounds good ;)

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Yes, I push straight down then pull up and toward me. Hooks onto all kind of targets, target pulls up easy when working in moist soil. Here's a photo of the first tool with finds from my first hunt with it, most coin signals were ignored during this hunt. Good tool looking for rings in parks.

Attachments

• Oriuginal pulltab & ring puller.JPG
    Oriuginal pulltab & ring puller.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 405
OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tykit said:
Yes, I push straight down then pull up and toward me. Hooks onto all kind of targets, target pulls up easy when working in moist soil. Here's a photo of the first tool with finds from my first hunt with it. Good tool for parks.

As far as pullers goes, I like it. Thanks for the clarification.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Zlathim, I realize your question is about diggers...but, I just had to say something about Sandman's advice of using plastic to put your dirt on. One of the neat things about using a piece of plastic...over using a cloth or canvass.....is that the dirt slides off of the plastic easier...meaning more of the dirt goes back into the hole instead of winding up in the cloth threads. And....another great plus to using plastic.....if you kneel down on either wet or damp ground....if you kneel on plastic instead of cloth.....with plastic, your knees and clothes don't get wet or muddy. Just a thought. While hunting, I also carry a piece of plastic (or even a plastic bag) in my hip pocket in case I have to sit down on wet ground or even a wet picnic table. Hey, these old bones of mine get pretty tired after awhile....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D
---Mel

borninok

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No digging?

Slitting and levering. Easy as pie.

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
borninok said:
Zlathim, I realize your question is about diggers...but, I just had to say something about Sandman's advice of using plastic to put your dirt on. One of the neat things about using a piece of plastic...over using a cloth or canvass.....is that the dirt slides off of the plastic easier...meaning more of the dirt goes back into the hole instead of winding up in the cloth threads. And....another great plus to using plastic.....if you kneel down on either wet or damp ground....if you kneel on plastic instead of cloth.....with plastic, your knees and clothes don't get wet or muddy. Just a thought. While hunting, I also carry a piece of plastic (or even a plastic bag) in my hip pocket in case I have to sit down on wet ground or even a wet picnic table. Hey, these old bones of mine get pretty tired after awhile....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D
---Mel

borninok

You mean there is an alternative to coming home with wet and dirty knees? I thought my only recourse was telling the wife to stock up on spray and wash so she could get the stains out of my pant legs!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to discard my canvas in favor of a sheet of plastic. Makes perfect sense now that you mention it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread