Any tips on train depot hunting?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weldon, NC. There is a depot there. It is now a historical site, no poking around. Before and during the CW, it was a busy place. At Weldon, the RR tracks going north changed gauge so all the cars (wheels) had to be changed. In the '90s, (I forget which year) 3 CW rifles were found up in the woodwork under the platform. I hunted the grounds, before prohibited, and found an 1882 silver dollar. VERY good condition .... except I put a very bad gouge on the obverse digging it up. Common date. Old depots are ALWAYS good places to hunt! ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so i swung the area where i decided it most likely would have been for a couple of hours yesterday...tons of metal and really rocky ground with all the rr stone. Further out from the tracks there is a gravel mound parallel to the tracks and then some hard pack gravel parking lot. There are some wasteland type areas slightly east of where I believe the depot was that is easier to dig and I will probably hit again but I doubt I can really get down to the historical layer where the depot was with all the rr rock on top. Tons of rr metal also.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions