Detecting At Night....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm Just Curious if anyone here who Detects After Dark has ever had any kind of problems with Robbery, Mugging or Any Kind of Harassment Excluding Law Enforcement?

Same Question, Except Detecting During The Day?

Do Any of You Carry While Detecting?

Any Advice For Detecting After Dark For Personal Safety? Besides the obvious of letting someone know where you are, when you will be back, having your cell with you and the family tracker turned on your phone.
TrackR is an excellent product to attach to your car, equipment,keys,keep in your pocket, wallet etc. That just lets you know where your property is on Maps and is No Personal Safety. If you are kidnapped and they didn't find it on you I guess you could even be located.
I HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST IN THIS PRODUCT EXCEPT AS A CONSUMER.

On that one I also call the local Police Dispatch and them know that it's going to be me at such and such location til whatever time. I do that to keep patrols from responding if someone calls in about someone being there. They always thank me for the Heads Up. That isn't any protection but they know I'm there.

Thank You!

Upvote 0

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Am out in the early AM, I start an hour before sunrise, most of the bad guy are still asleep or just pass out still then. In all the years that I have been detecting I have had only one run in with a crazy guy about 2 years ago, pulled a small knife on me (maybe a 3" or so long blade), I pulled my Hori-Hori blade out (about 12" long) and the problem ran away.:occasion14: btw I also carry pepper spray.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
........Once I was reported as a suspicious being and the police came to check me out. It was no problem and I guess it is good that people are looking out for possible problems..

Haha, good story. When the subject of hunting parks at night comes up (to avoid the "stigma" of hunting in manicured turf), there is usually someone to object and say that it draws the attention of police that you are "up to no good". blah blah blah.

But my experience has been like yours: That even on the remote possibility that a policeman DOES see you out in a park at night (and stops to check you out), it's exactly as you say: They have BIGGER FISH to fry. Heck, they're probably thinking "what a looser geek". ::)

One time I was crouched digging a target near the street in a park, when a cop car passed me . I saw him hit the brakes make a U-turn, and head back my way. I thought : "Oh no, I'm about to get scrammed". He pulled up alongside of me as I stood back up. He rolled down his window, took stock of what I was doing, and just laughed. Said "I saw someone suspiciously crouching and wondered what was up". He then proceeded to ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and so forth.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i lived on Guam i detected alone on the beach at night all the time. Since i was out in the water nobody ever bothered me. Would i detect the dry sand at night? Maybe if i had someone with me.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha, good story. When the subject of hunting parks at night comes up (to avoid the "stigma" of hunting in manicured turf), there is usually someone to object and say that it draws the attention of police that you are "up to no good". blah blah blah.

But my experience has been like yours: That even on the remote possibility that a policeman DOES see you out in a park at night (and stops to check you out), it's exactly as you say: They have BIGGER FISH to fry. Heck, they're probably thinking "what a looser geek". ::)

One time I was crouched digging a target near the street in a park, when a cop car passed me . I saw him hit the brakes make a U-turn, and head back my way. I thought : "Oh no, I'm about to get scrammed". He pulled up alongside of me as I stood back up. He rolled down his window, took stock of what I was doing, and just laughed. Said "I saw someone suspiciously crouching and wondered what was up". He then proceeded to ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and so forth.

Good story too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread