Cleaning Copper Coins

Evereddy

Sep 6, 2017
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a KG2 colonial copper half cent with my ACE350 last night. It's pretty well corroded and crusted. I can barely make out the features of the bust the letters G,S and the roman numeral 2. The reverse is worn completely smooth. There is a nice outline where the image used to be. Any one have any tips or tricks for cleaning copper?

Upvote 0

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert, but I use the hydrogen peroxide method for copper coins. Heat just enough hydrogen peroxide in a microwave safe container, bring to a boil then take out of the microwave and put coins in to soak. Repeating the process can help too. That will remove dirt from the coin. It will also dry the coin out so an olive oil soak after could be good too, although I haven't bothered doing that yet.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I use the rubbing alcohol method for copper coins. Heat just enough rubbing alcohol in a microwave safe container, bring to a boil then take out of the microwave and put coins in ....

Rubbing alcohol, eh ? I've heard the same recipe, but only to use hydrogen peroxide. Bring a petri dish to a boil in the micro-wave (15-ish seconds). Remove petri dish. Drop in the target. You will see the bubbles fizz off your target. Never heard of this method with rubbing alcohol though. Hmmm

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was seeking advice on the same recently. Some suggestions i received were to let ot soak in ketchup or taco bell hot sauce. I tried the ketchup and had some success.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rubbing alcohol, eh ? I've heard the same recipe, but only to use hydrogen peroxide. Bring a petri dish to a boil in the micro-wave (15-ish seconds). Remove petri dish. Drop in the target. You will see the bubbles fizz off your target. Never heard of this method with rubbing alcohol though. Hmmm
Yes you're right. Crossed my mind when I said that, that I might have had the wrong word. Yes hydrogen peroxide, not rubbing alcohol. Glad you pointed it out at least

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread