Can the AT Max match the Deus?

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have an MXT. And I'm looking to move into a better detector.
I mostly relics hunt. I find myself wanting an AT Max for some reason.
But my next purchase will come down to price/ performance.
The Deus is more expensive, but is OK if the performance is better.
The AT Max is much more in my price range and seems to get better performance than the current MXT I own.
At least from the reviews I read.

Basically I'm looking for a detector that can preform in fairly mineralized soil while primarly looking for relics.

Upvote 0

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update on AT Pro here in Florida... went to same spot and found more coinage.. 20 pieces of Silver Coins, 2 Half dollars 6 Silver quarters, 12 Mercury dimes. 1 Gold Platted Ring highly mineralized.. I cleaned but, looks like it was put through the ringer.. Its Gold Ring although near the surf low tide... Lots of Pennies wheat, and Modern Ones.. and dime Heaven hits around 72 high tone Pro Setting Zero.. I learned although to Turn off Iron Audio, Zero discrimination.. "KELLY CO" told me to do that.
I researched other coils to use,, But I will continue to use the Standard Search Coil till I up Grade to a better Unit like the Other Seasoned Veterans that use them//.. This is Addicting, until the supply runs out at this place.. I am grateful to God the Father for having a place close to find these items..
The Treasure Coast is a drive from my Local. Like I informed ya'll went there did Wabasso Beach, for a few Hours nothing.. except for Amber sands I think. I found a PENNY in the low area... Still Great fun about that... lots of Junk items High Sand Line, Steep drop off to surf.. I"am sure in the water closer to the First or Second reef there quality items.... "But, its a No! No! to go in the water with out PERMIT from "Queens Jewels Llc" who owns search area and the RIGHTS to 1715 Fleet"... shipwrecks in that area... I am sure the Seasoned Veterans "God Bless" them are finding some items along Beach after Irma.. Hats off to ya'll. God will put me on a REALE one day.. there up around my area with the surf that cut the dunes.. but once again "Right Time, Right Place".. lots of walking..
There is the possibility of another storm brewing out in Atlantic,, were getting high surf from that all over East Coast.. I do not wish for a "CANE" nor should anyone else.. But thats how items are washed up and uncovered.. recently there was a BIG LOT of Musket balls found in the Treasure Coast in water found by one of the Contracts who have LEASE Rights.. what fun that must of been pulling up MUSKET BALLS... Good for them!!
OK.. talk later.. when. Get a chance I will post finds to share, It's no secret to finding finds, I know some folks are tight lipped on there spots.. But like, I said if you follow Tide Line and Drop Off every day.. "TARGETS" replenish them selfs along these areas,, At least for my self this works and with the "LORDS GUIDANCE" "He gets all the GLORY.".... "what comes around goes around".. With that said: I pray ya'll have a safe outing, remember to educate the younger children the they ask you Hey! What did you find? I show them and tell them it's a fun hobby with Mm and Dads Permission.. Knowledge is great when we spread the teaching , and share it. Especially the ""THE WORD OF GOD" and his Promises..

...so there you have it. That pretty much sums up why the AT Pro matches the Deus. Any questions?

I have one - I am going to need to know exactly where all this goodness is happening...lol.

Seriously, glad you are able to get out there and have some fun after what you guys just went through. Enjoy those finds and here's to many more. :occasion14: like

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is NOT all that. I think Smokey the Cat is smoking something. The T2 is just as good of a machine and it cost half the price. Wait to see what the AT Max reviews look like. It does not seem to be any better than the AT Gold at this point so you may want to go with the T2 SE.

Mr. Stinkypete,

If you only knew who you were replying to...smh.

Just a word of advice, please find out the meaning of banner find, and spend 10 seconds studying the profile of the subject of your snappy little zingers before you actually reply next time. Also, feel free to share your opinion on whether one machine is better than another, but be prepared to back it up with some objective evidence or at least state how much experience you have on both to bolster the credibility of your claims. You'll save yourself some embarrassment guaranteed. (BTW have both Deus and T2 myself - which is better - can't really say but I have a LOT more hours on the Deus than the T2 so you do the math - the best machine for you is the one you have the most experience with. Going to a new machine is always going to put you on a learning curve again that is only mitigated by your cumulative experience and how similar the new machine is to operate vs. your most used machine). HH.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus is NOT all that. I think Smokey the Cat is smoking something. The T2 is just as good of a machine and it cost half the price. Wait to see what the AT Max reviews look like. It does not seem to be any better than the AT Gold at this point so you may want to go with the T2 SE.
Pete
I`m curious what did you pay for your T2 SE ?
Have you taken it in the water yet ?
Smokey knows what he`s talking about !
Gary

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the bottom line: If a person can afford a $399 machine, and puts effort into detecting, the $399 machine will find good stuff. If a person can afford a $1500 machine, and puts effort into detecting, the $1500 machine will find good stuff, and so on and so on. Some machines do work better in some locations, but a lot of the success or lack thereof goes into researching your spot, time spent with the machine and willingness or unwillingness to dig targets. My buds and I found THREE VIRGIN 18th and 19th century spots this year. It will take YEARS to dig them out. Plus we have more permissions to start. I have not owned every machine out there. but I guarantee you if I had the oldest, cheapest machine around it would be tougher but I would find some good stuff with it. Most of it comes down to the individual detectorist and what you are trying to do.

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree with you the T 2 is a better machine than the Deus. You may have so much time on your Deus because your Deus doesn't work well. Put more time on the T2, you find more stuff.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree with you the T 2 is a better machine than the Deus. You may have so much time on your Deus because your Deus doesn't work well. Put more time on the T2, you find more stuff.

Uh, yeah. That makes sense.

Glad you figured out the T2 is the best machine out there after 3 weeks of use. At least your are happy, so that is all that matters. Happy Hunting.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For everyone, time to go outside and DETECT some! Ready, set, go!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Etrac, F75, and AT Pro regularly. I like em all. They all do a good job. One thing for sure, each is a investment. For now I do not see a advantage owning any of the newer detectors. I chickled a bit about the post swinging 6 inches above the ground. The F75 has a mode for just that. Also I dont scrub my minelab coils I can afford to loose a inch of depth. Had to choke the etrac all the way down to 3 today at one point. The Pro is a easy to use, turn on and go if you use the custom setting. There are a few weak points in all these machines, but I like to say they all find coins and rings. I usually bring home small bit of Jewelry as they all are sensitive. Recovery speed is good but not going to start a debate about it. Just know what ever you get, all the machines mentioned will hunt. I think the F75 edges all the detectors mentioned due to sensitivity, recovery speed, large vdi, and battery consumption.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I don't about some machines is the weight. The cat has arthritis and swinging some really hurts.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pretty snotty guy you are, aren't by chance a banned member posting under a new alias are ya ?
You have probably never even seen a Deus in person and are butthurt because you can't afford one.

Priate Booty

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2017
SUNSHINE STATE
Detector(s) used
Minre Lab CTX 3030,Mine Lab Sovergins GT
Garrett AT Pro, Mine Lab Excalibur, Mine Lab Equinox, Garret Sea Hunter, Fisher Cz -21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have an MXT. And I'm looking to move into a better detector.
I mostly relics hunt. I find myself wanting an AT Max for some reason.
But my next purchase will come down to price/ performance.
The Deus is more expensive, but is OK if the performance is better.
The AT Max is much more in my price range and seems to get better performance than the current MXT I own.
At least from the reviews I read.

Basically I'm looking for a detector that can preform in fairly mineralized soil while primarly looking for relics.
Please forgive me for getting back so late. If your into beach hunting the Minelab 600 with 15 inch coil is out standing, and the Mine Lab Excalibur is profitable for all water hunting.. dig all sounds with the machines you'll be rewarded.. Trust me.. In the inland sites the Deus is awesome, however their is a learning curve from my understanding, I have a good mentor who has one and he finds items with that machine, over areas where he was before with other types of metal detectors... But once again I hunt inland with Minelab 600 and I do Awesome.. Good Hunting..

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please forgive me for getting back so late.
This thread is from 2017. I answer old posts all the time. I figure if the question is relevant other people may still be interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread